Mathematics - Functions

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
You might want to put down other things that can be used in the WE too... like some formulas. :)

I am working on a jumping system using some formulas in physics, and they're helping out a lot.

EX:

A = Acceleration
Vi = Initial Velocity
T = Time
ΔX = Displacement/Distance
ΔX = 1/2A(T^2) + ViT

I'm using variables that automatically increase, and change it.

This way, I can just imput a few numbers, like the unit's max height, and how long it jumps for, and it will automatically calculate all the other variables, and I can set the Formula as what the Flying height will be changed too. (Rather than tons of If-Then-Else's).

C

Capt Griffen

Reals are floating point values, with 32 bits, I believe. As such trying to pin down an exact level of precision is pointless, and downright wrong.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
This is how blizzard defines certain values:
constant real bj_PI = 3.14159
constant real bj_E = 2.71828
constant real bj_RADTODEG = 180.0/bj_PI
constant real bj_DEGTORAD = bj_PI/180.0

G

Greenspawn

here's a neat little tip to get around the square root problem.

sqrt(x^(2/n)) where x is the base number and n is the root of the number you want. For example:

3rd root(8) = 2

sqrt(8^(2/3) = 8^((2/3)/2) = 8^(1/3) = 3rd root(8) = 2

this'll allow for you to calculate 3rd roots, 4th roots, 152nd roots, and any other roots.

~Greenspawn

Corleone

Reaction score
Nice tutorial. +rep

a) pi≈3.1415926536 (Believe me or not, but I didn't look it up anywhere, I just remember it to the 10th digit The most accurate(if I remember correctly) is 22/7

Believe it or not, I know the first 108 digits:p

Void

Reaction score
Er....

W T F ?
My noobish brain doesnt comprehendo all of this stuff... :nuts:
Give me a taco dammit!!!

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
So lets see how this thing is doing. Been a long time since I wrote this. I wonder if it opened the minds of a few people as to what you can do with the instrumentarium provided here.
I just did a minor edit, added a few examples and links to useful stuff.

3ICE

Cool Member
Reaction score
Re: whatever :D

A quick review:

Poke button:
4. Math - Random Percentage *(Real-ONLY)
Returns a REAL value between 0 and 100 to be used as a percentage(nothing more to say I guess).
should be
4. Math - Random Percentage *(Real-ONLY)
Returns a REAL value between 0.00 and 1.00 to be used as a percentage(nothing more to say I guess).

5. Math - Min
This is used to compare 2 numbers and give the lesser one. The position doesn't matter. It always involves at least variable(or you banged your head and don't know if 1 is bigger than 2)
Example: Min(5,2) would return 2 as it is lesser than 5.
should be
5. Math - Min
This is used to compare 2 numbers and give the lesser one. The position doesn't matter. It always involves at least variable(or you banged your head and don't know if 1 is bigger than 2)
Example: Min(5,2) would return 2 as it is less than 5.

9. Math - Modulo
Calculates the remainder of a devision.(That would be enough for me, but who knows what people are out there).
It gives you what is left behind when the division reaches the decimal point. Divisions that return a whole number do not have a remainder.
This is a very useful, yet underused function. It can be used for ex. when going from one numeric system to another(decimal->hex->octal).
should be
9. Math - Modulo
Calculates the remainder of a division.(That would be enough for me, but who knows what people are out there).
It gives you what is left behind when the division reaches the decimal point. Divisions that return a whole number do not have a remainder.
This is a very useful, yet underused function. It can be used for ex. when going from one numeric system to another(decimal->hex->octal).

These are pretty much all the algebraic functions, now comes Trigonometry(the advanced stuff).
Some notes - using the arithmetic function you can actually get past the 2 digit decimal limitation when using predefined numbers(ones you typed yourself, not changeable). For example - 943.89/100=9.4389 - thats how you can simulate a more accurate number.
should be
These are pretty much all the algebraic functions, now comes Trigonometry(the advanced stuff).
Some notes - using the arithmetic function you can actually get past the 2 digit decimal limitation when using predefined numbers(ones you typed yourself, not changeable). For example - 943.89/100=9.4389 - thats how you can simulate a more accurate number. (Or you can convert the trigger into JASS and have as many decimals as you want!)

3. Conversions - Convert degrees to radians and vise versa. To understand these, you gotta understand both definitions.
Degrees - Any positive real number between 0 and 360
Radian - One radian is the angle of an arc created by wrapping the radius of a circle around its circumference. The radius 'r' fits around the circumference of a circle exactly 2p times. That is why the circumference of a circle is given by circumference = 2pi*r. So there are 2pi radians in a complete circle, and pi radians in a half circle. Degrees=Radians*180/pi
should be
3. Conversions - Convert degrees to radians and vice versa. To understand these, you gotta understand both definitions.
Degrees - Any positive real number between 0.00 and 360.00
Radian - One radian is the angle of an arc created by wrapping the radius of a circle around its circumference. The radius 'r' fits around the circumference of a circle exactly 2pi times. That is why the circumference of a circle is given by circumference = 2pi*r. So there are 2pi radians in a complete circle, and pi radians in a half circle. Degrees=Radians*180/pi

+rep

I learnt a new thing too! THX for the Modulo :D
Now i can finally
finish my extended
gold storage and
management system
that uses lumber for
100k gold (like in HLW)​

CaptDeath

Reaction score
i wondered what all those math functions were and now i understand even though i just skimmed it was good smileys alot?

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
I've never used sin or any such things and I have no idea how you would use the square root... Is your example map using all these math functions or whatever almost done?
It would help a lot. I think this tutorial is really only for advanced map makers who need recap without some examples of triggers.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have never used sin, or square root before, I would encourage you to do some advanced maths before attempting to use them, unless you are following a tutorial. Not that anything bad will happen, but it will just help you understand what you are doing better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.