Max # of units on a map?

neckface

terrain contest winner! :) dance contest loser. :(
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of the maximum units that can be on a normal melee style (ie not doodad intensive) 96x96 map before lag sets in?

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
before lag sets in? lol? if the computer is bad youll need only 100, but if its very good youll need more than 1000....

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of the maximum units that can be on a normal melee style (ie not doodad intensive) 96x96 map before lag sets in?
That depends on your computer probably. I dont think there is any really any way of kowing the exact amount.

neckface

Reaction score
hmm, apparently then my cpu is much more wussy that i thought...

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
It depends on a lot of factors apart from the PC itself:
-heroes generally cause more lag/slowdown than normal units
-units with a lot of damage/a lot of hp/a lot of anything have a greater chance of causing lag/slowdown, even a server split sometimes
-a lot of units attacking at the same time can't be good
-the more poly your unit's model has (the more complex it is), the more it burdens your graphic card

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
i dont know if this belongs in the world editor section

but in the warcraft talk section <--- well thats were i belive it should be

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
there are no limits. as many as you think you can fit, just keep in mind that once your mouse cant move anymore, then you probably put in to many

Shadow14l

Reaction score
there are no limits. as many as you think you can fit, just keep in mind that once your mouse cant move anymore, then you probably put in to many

I agree with u.s., that's the best way of knowing how to identify and remove your lag from the number of units on your map.

i dont know if this belongs in the world editor section

but in the warcraft talk section <--- well thats were i belive it should be

This has absolute NOTHING to do with the poster's question!
This is an example of SPAM! People will not like you if you post stuff like this, if you really need to tell someone about this, appropriately tell a mod/admin, so they can effectively move it to where they think it should belong.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I agree with u.s., that's the best way of knowing how to identify and remove your lag from the number of units on your map.
No, it's not. The fact something works well for you does not mean it will work just as well for everyone else.
A new generation PC, dual core CPU, Dx10 graphic card, 2GB of memory PC will handle a lot more than the average one (which more people use BTW).

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
More on the wc3-side of this (as opposed to the computer specs side), having more than 200-300 units for a single player causes problems when trying to order them to do anything. At that point, most units will ignore orders of any type (triggered or player-ordered).

neckface

Reaction score
More on the wc3-side of this (as opposed to the computer specs side), having more than 200-300 units for a single player causes problems when trying to order them to do anything. At that point, most units will ignore orders of any type (triggered or player-ordered).

Yes! This is exactly my problem. Will this disappear in multi?

(Im testing a 1v1 map where players command hundreds of peons to do their bidding)

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
It depends on a lot of factors apart from the PC itself:
(1) -heroes generally cause more lag/slowdown than normal units
(2) -units with a lot of damage/a lot of hp/a lot of anything have a greater chance of causing lag/slowdown, even a server split sometimes

about this :
1 : that is normal since more data is attached to them
2 : I wonder if it's real. I had a map where a unit had 10e9 hp and 10e8 + 10e5*10e7 (b+d*d) damage and it didn't create a server split.

Also, problem of ordering without using "attack" when there are too many units in the game (the pathing will be updated too frequently and nothing will happen - well "almost" nothing since they'll move step by step).

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
neckface said:
Yes! This is exactly my problem. Will this disappear in multi?
No, it will not go away in multiplayer. You could try giving the peons Locust and then making them work autonomously by text-commands entered for the player.

Or, you know, try using less peons. What the heck do you need them all for anyway?

neckface

Reaction score
What the heck do you need them all for anyway?
Well, I had what I thought could be a fun idea for a 1v1 map, but unless there are mass amounts of peons attacking back and forth and being squished, it would fail.

Check out the thread here, I'd appreciate any ideas you have on how I could pull it off.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.