Spell Meat Hook

M

Mysecret

Nice spell. I could sit here for weeks with this. Cant find anything i would consider in need of changing. Really nice!

trigger_newb

Reaction score
hey it be nicer if you could show us how to make and stuff witht the variables..
or make us a map..
but that's cool with hammers

Z

Zhygot

1st off.. thanks Tinki3 for making this cool ability.. and now i wanna ask.. is it possible to hook the unit through cliffs and trees? just wanna know..

Z

Zhygot

but your skill cant.. where hsould i change to make it go through trees and over cliffs? and where should i edit to change the range? thanks man..

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
where hsould i change to make it go through trees and over cliffs?

Go to the trigger "CreateHooks", then scroll down to here:
Code:
Unit Group - Pick every unit in MeatHook_Group[2] and do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        Set MeatHook_SnagUnit = (Picked unit)
        [B]Unit - Turn collision for MeatHook_SnagUnit Off[/B]
        Unit - Cause MeatHook_Caster to damage MeatHook_SnagUnit, dealing ((Real((Level of Meat Hook  for MeatHook_Caster))) x 100.00) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of MeatHook_SnagUnit using Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\HumanBlood\BloodElfSpellThiefBlood.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        Unit - Pause MeatHook_SnagUnit

Now add in the action as shown in bold; this should enable the snagged unit to go through trees, and over cliffs.

But we still need to turn its collision off, after it has returned to the caster, so the add in the action in bold, to the following trigger:
Code:
EndHook
    Events
        Time - MeatHook_Timer_2 expires
    Conditions
    Actions
        [B]Unit - Turn collision for MeatHook_SnagUnit O[/B]n
        Unit - Unpause MeatHook_SnagUnit
        Set MeatHook_SnagUnit = No unit
        Trigger - Turn off RetractHook <gen>
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                MeatHook_Snagged Equal to True
            Then - Actions
                Trigger - Turn on RetractHookStart <gen>
            Else - Actions
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_MeatHook_Loc[1])
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_MeatHook_Loc[3])

and where should i edit to change the range?

Go to the main trigger, "MeatHookCast", and then edit the variable "MeatHook_Distance" - change it to whatever value you want.

You shouldn't edit anything else though.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Tested it, found a "bug".

If you cast the spell, and then quickly move away from the hook, the pulled unit will be pulled towards you instead of to the origin of the hook, sorta looks weird.

If you could make the hook spell "channeling" perhaps that would fix it?

Actually I need a channeling type hook spell for my map, which if you do another action during the duration of the cast (includes throw AND pull), the hooked unit would be just dropped where it was, and the hook will return to you regardless of where it was, not hooking any more units. Could you do it?

:D

Edit: I mean, if you throw a hook, start pulling the snagged unit back, and then suddenly leave your hook behind and run off... then what the hell is dragging the unit? o_O

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> I mean, if you throw a hook, start pulling the snagged unit back, and then suddenly leave your hook behind and run off... then what the hell is dragging the unit?

The hook, of course :p

You can modify the timer of the hook to make the whole thing go alot faster (if you want it to look less "fake"), not saying that it already does go really fast.

Arcane

Reaction score
Yes but, the speed isn't the problem at all. The speed is perfect, if it were to go faster, there would be no time to evade it at all.

The problem is the moving-away after you cast it. Test it yourself, get to level 4 or something, and then hook, run. The creep is pulled towards you, leaving the hook path behind. :eek:

Tested the GUI one. That one works fine, even if you leave the hook behind, the unit is still pulled to the origin of the hook instead of the casting unit, though it still has that "move away" unrealistic look about it. :)

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> Test it yourself, get to level 4 or something, and then hook, run

I've tested it lot's :), I know.

> Tested the GUI one. That one works fine, even if you leave the hook behind

That's because I made it, Daelin made the JASS version, and I edited it slightly.

So, do you want me to do anything with the JASS version, or are you happy with using the GUI one?

Arcane

Reaction score
I'll be happy with the GUI one until the day I learn JASS myself. Because when that happens, everything has to be perfect. :p

P.S. I edited the GUI version so that the caster is paused 1 second after casting the spell, sort of fixes the problem of moving away. :cool:

Arcane

Reaction score
Well, I'm using http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=90999, and when I test the spell, if it snags a unit, it's fine, but if it doesn't...

This comes up:

Total Locations Created: "X"
Total Locations Undestroyed: 3

Some locations in the code aren't being destroyed if the hook misses completely.

Hm... I do seem to be getting a lot of problems with this spell. :p

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
sumtings wrong when i cast the ability nuting shows up/happens can u help?
(using the non jass one)
Edit:nvm i got it Nice spell +1 rep!!
How do u change the damage delt when the hook snags a unit?

soz for the double post but i need to address a weird thing with the spell

When i cast it from a cliff (raised 2) It looks fine (doesn't fly) But when at ground level its over the caster?! u Know how to fix this?

N

Nyro

Ah, cool skill,
Anyways, i Exported it to a different map (hope im allwed to)
and, i got some crazy 'error' i don't know off, i think i don't know it coz im kinda nooby in World Editing
Error:Total Locations created: 45
Total undestroyed locations:15
MeleeGetProjectedLoc with 5 active locations

Total Locations created: 46

Total Locations created: 47

Total Locations created: 45

The error is written in red is ingame and i don't get kicked out, just the skill doen't work right, after i imported the skill to the different map, it didn't work on the test map to.
Please help me with that, btw i won't underestand any high class words coz i am really noob :eek:

pills11.com ;))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.