Meathook from DotA!? :D

Broshir

Reaction score
Hey boys, first time i post in the sc2 section (wc3 veteran here).

I had a question for ya'll;

Has anybody made the Meathook from DotA (Pudge the Butcher) / Pudge Wars Hook, yet?

Does anybody know how to make it? I've seen 1000000 mapcreators code their own version of the spell on wc3 but i have seen ZERO versions of it on starcraft 2...

If someone could help me out that would be terrific!

<3

for those who dont know what pudge/meat hook is:

You target the ground, and when you have cast the spell, u will shoot a hook towards that direction for a specified range, after max range it goes back to the hero and if the "top" of the hook hits a unit on its way the unit will be stuck on the hook and go back to the hero with the hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK4klRqqrrI

halp

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
My guess is that the trigger creates a unit that goes to the selected angle, and keeps going until it either A. Hits a unit B. Hits the terrain/environment or C. meets maximum range.

In A. It would most likely repeatedly check for the range of any units within the hook.
In B. Im not entirely sure - it might be the spell determines where the maximum point is by detecting the terrain ahead in a line for any doodads/environmental stuff.
In C. It just moves to the max point and comes back.

When it hits the unit, the unit would be frozen, and would be instantly moved to the location of the hook every X seconds, until the hook is within melee distance of the caster, where it disappears and the unit caught is unfrozen. Any effects such as damage or debuffs would take place here.

Thats my guess on how it would be made. Seems fairly simple, except criteria B of what the hook might do.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
You could probably do this completely with the data editor. Just make an ability that launches a missile to the targeted point, then sends another missile back to the caster. The returning missile would have a behavior that applied another behavior as a period effect to everything in whatever radius around it. That behavior would then have a periodic effect of stunning it and applying a force on the unit towards the returning missile.

The main thing I'm not sure about is how to make it so that the ability targets some point X distance away in the specified direction, instead of simply going to the point you click, and also how to make the missile change on it's return path, or at least add a behavior to it.

If nothing else, it would be easy to make a trigger that only controlled the movement of the missile, telling it where to go, adding the force behavior, then telling it to go back to where it came.

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
mmm what agent says seems along right line, but ye i also wonder since whenever you hook in dota it send the hook to a max distance not to the location you click. i might try make a ability like that now i suppose. also it seems like its a beem because it keeps its animation behind it. but this might be because it keeps copy of actor of missile in previous position. hard to determine

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
after trying and trying i think it might also be better in triggers.
i've looked at beams(doubt it will work :p)
i've tried missile with impact effect but that fails cos impact is where the spell is clicked so its dumb... was having little trouble with its effects anyway having a search that applied a set of(dmg and a persistant) and the persistant applied a force(but force wasnt working because i think it registered the missile as the casting unit for it to go to but yeee no solution from data editor.
ill try triggers but someone else should also try ;P

Arkless

Reaction score
Getting a point in a specified distance and specified angle can be archieved by using a persistent.
x/y Offset, x = cos(angle) * distance, y = sin(angle) * distance, (you have to calculate the values first and then fill the x, y field in the editor, you can't use a term)
The direction can be defined by the angle between your source point and your target point (in the scenario you described).
All effects activated by that persistent will have the new target point as their target point value.

If you are still trying to create a Data Editor solution I could give you more hints if you specify your problems.

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
anyone still working on this :p
i have been trying hard.
i was testing the offset thing in data editor so you could target anywhere within range of 10 and the missle would always go to the max possible range but i dont think you can do this through editor i even tried giving the missile target impact offset of -10 but that just ads 10units onto the distance that you are already targetting so i got no result through that.
so now im trying some triggers so atm i can shoot a missile that will always go to 10units away even if you click at a range of 2.(but i had to use a unit not a projectile dunno why the projectile wasnt responding to order last created unit to move :( so i made a unit with the model of emp missile :p)
now im working on the colliding of any unit !!! so if it hits a unit anywhere between the caster and the max distance i want it to stop the missile and come back...so thats where im up to atm.
i havent started applying force or effects really but man is it annoying since i dont really know my way around the editor !!!!!
there was a trigger action of some kind that said closest unit to point but it seemed to be using unit groups i will have to look into that to be able to grab the closest unit that is also within a range of 1/0.5 or some digit and use it.

Arkless

Reaction score
anyone still working on this :p
i have been trying hard.
i was testing the offset thing in data editor so you could target anywhere within range of 10 and the missle would always go to the max possible range but i dont think you can do this through editor i even tried giving the missile target impact offset of -10 but that just ads 10units onto the distance that you are already targetting so i got no result through that.
You have to set the position of the persistent to the source point.

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
what do you mean persistant? are you talking about using data editor to offset the impact location?

Arkless

Reaction score
short answere? yes

not only to add an offset but rather to get an offset from the source point towards the clicked direction

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
well i set impact location to source point and it didnt work even with the -10 to the offset in Y. it seemed to just blow up in the spot. i tested source unit and it used an actualy x,y of the screen from the casting unit so the missile just went down :( maybe im looking at it the wrong way

Arkless

Reaction score
gimme a sec, gotta look up the names :D

location start + location end define the direction
location defines the source point (you add an offset to this position to define the new target)

There are different ways to execute an effect in a persistent, make sure you use the right offset entry.
I'm pretty sure it was just some fail on my side, but when I first used persistents I had some problem with the initial offset not being applied. But I'm 100% sure the periodic offset works (used it for a lot of abilities already).

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
ahhh finally understood what you are talking about location start and end but why am i using persistant.
im kinda making a mock up of the hook using a weapon-emp unit type projectile.
so its a ability effect-target and have its effect field as the missile(launch missile with the weapon unit) do you think im going about it the wrong way i kinda get persistant but i mostly use that for area searchs which is what i think your trying to get at as in the missile will have the persistant on it...unless u mean move the missile using persistant but i dont full understand that

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
soo after looking into persistant i set the effect-initial as my launch missile effect.
i left target-location+ as target point and location offset - end + as target point and location offset - start + source point...is this what you think it should look like...
and the launch missile its impact location + is target point and its launch location is source unit...
sooo now im contemplatin on which ones offset to play with..
eg: offset - initial on the persistant or the periodic offset for the persistant or change the offset in the launch missile >.< i tried many combinations so far :(
eg: seems to keep wanting to add the -10(y parimeter) to the targets ending point(as in the x,y values of screen not the other way which was that -y value would add to the location and keep going out which is what i was hopeing :(.. )

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
OMG OMG OMG Blank out last post finally got the offset working!!! thank you arkless your stuff helps and to the api docs on sc2mapster <3
ability of effect-target
effect of type create persistant
effect of type launch missile

ability effect-targets effect field is the persistant and give it a range say 10.

effect create persistant fields i had
Target - Location + (None):Source Point
Effect - Period Count 1
Effect - Period Effects (test1missile) lol at my missiles name
Effect - Periodic Offsets ((0,-10,0))

effect launch missile fields i had
Target - Impact Location + (None):Target Point
Unit - Ammo Unit Weapon - EMP

OMG looks so simple just looking at this omg >.<

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
if anyone asks for the basic trigger i had created for sending the missile to the offsetted point (but i did have to create a new unit of type unit that used the model of the weapon-emp) some stupid reason about not being able to order projectiles(unit) to move to location :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.