Member Posts

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I got 99 karmas, and a bitch ain't one of them.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
cQLb9gT.png

Accname, please deliver.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You cant do much with the mail since its not in english, but if you really need to know I can re-tell the story.
She is now regularly following me after the lectures and always asking me questions. One day I had a scratch on my neck and she was asking me where it came from. I told her I didnt know, because I honestly didnt know. Until she told me about the scratch I didnt even know I had one. However, she asked me if I have any pets and I told her I have a cat.
On the way to the train station she asked me all kinds of questions about the cat and I told her, among other things, that the cat is already very old (about 11 years or so?) and has become really lazy. Its lying in front of the house and bathing in the sun all day.

So the other day she send me an email, and this is a rough translation:
Title: I like cat

I think your cat is not lazy because he scratched you pretty bad, no?
He just has a new hobby. :p
Today there is a summer festival. Here at the library there are very few students, its almost empty,
everybody is outside.
I cant come to the lecture tomorrow, I have to work. :(
Best Regards
Wei

Didnt answer yet. Dont think I am going to.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess you officially have a follower, also known as Lord Accname's true disciple.

Also, the surname, Wei, sounds more like 魏.

God damn it, I would really loved to see her picture.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this story seems to be the most interesting on the forums, for some reason, here is an update.

About 2 weeks ago the girl asked me about a wristband I am always wearing. I got this wristband as a gift from a buddhist monk when I was on vacation in thailand. The monk told me it will bring luck, but I have to wear it until it falls off by itself. Like, whatever dude, but a gift is a gift, so I wear it.

I told her this story. Now, today I enter the lecturing hall and see her and, guess what, she is suddenly wearing the same kind of wristband on the same arm.
Goddamnit. What would you guess the chances are...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Beautiful boys, all over the world.
She could be chasing, but her time would be wasted.
'Cause she's in love with you. She's in love with you.

You might say hi, she might say hey.
You don't have to worry 'bout what we be saying,
'Cause she's in love with you. Really in love with you.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I hate that. Get her off my back. This is really stressing me out, and I dont have any time for this at the moment.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Awww, and I thought you might have liked the chorus I wrote for you.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Made into easy-to-read format. Enjoy!

Code:
rover2341:               so. working full time job and everything going fine. and it hits me. what if i were to do some contract work on the side. so i have been doing a 3 week contract 20 hours a week at another office.
rover2341:               puting me at 60 hours a week
rover2341:               this was a stupid idea
rover2341:               its good for as i am learning how other people program other then i shop i work for but. its beyond what i can handle.
rover2341:               nearly half way thought it at least.
Slapshot136:             Isn't that what sub-contracting exists for?
tom_mai78101:            You do not want 60 hours per week, unless you are really crippling in DEBT.
tom_mai78101:            Those are the last resorts for everyone.
Accname:                 I have 6 hours a week and its already too much for me.
Accname:                 I have to, like, get out of my house. TWICE A WEEK
Accname:                 Its horrible. What this society is doing to me.
tom_mai78101:            You're a wizard, Accname. That's why.
Accname:                 I just might be.
Accname:                 Or maybe I am a lazy european...
Accname:                 Damn, look at the clock, its time to live like a king and laugh at less fortunate people again.
tom_mai78101:            Hail King Midas.
Varine:                  I worked 60 hours a week like as a minimum. lazy fuckers. now I'm down to 40 and I gotta say, I miss my 120 hour checks.
Varine:                  lot more free time though...
Varine:                  Which now that I consider it, seems almost like a downside because I have less money to spend and more time to spend it....
The Helper:              I stopped doing side jobs unless they are real easy. I get burned out. Now that I have a full time programming job it is real hard to find time to do stuff on the side
Varine:                  I take a few shifts at other restaurants on the side, but that usually is only like a couple shifts while they're busy. It's difficult to do though, since normally where ever I'm at is busy if anywhere else is
tom_mai78101:            Busy working on a dev blog of some sort. Don't know how to implement a blog though, since the whole website is practically under my control.
Accname:                 Why not get a free third party blog software.
tom_mai78101:            Where can I get that?
Accname:                 How would I know. No idea.
Accname:                 But there is always someone who can tell you.
Accname:                 A wise oracle known as GOOOOOOOOOGGLLEEEEE
Slapshot136:             You can install and run wordpress on your own server if you want, I think that's probably the most popular
Slapshot136:             http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
tom_mai78101:            Ah I see. Before, I was considering using Jekyll with Github Pages.
Slapshot136:             when a whole website is under your control, does that mean you have a server for it or not? (I was under the impression that you had a server..)
tom_mai78101:            I don't have a server.
Slapshot136:             Then I think the github solution would be better, since then you can use their server
Slapshot136:             Without a server, what is a website? a domain name and some files that aren't hosted anywhere?
tom_mai78101:            For all I know, I can probably use it until 1 year later. Applied for student account as an undergrad, so I'm not sure if I can continue applying for it as a grad.
The Helper:              You can get a server slice for 20 bucks a month at slicehost it is a perfect server
tom_mai78101:            I am looking for ways to recoup a profit from the financial loss of buying a domain name and renting a server.
Accname:                 You could sell drugs online.
rover2341:               Holy Crap Contract job is changing everything. So Contact and work has been huge pain, gone 14 hours a day including drive time. But.. Ect Cash, and I have bee interviewing other jobs at same time. Anyway my direct boss knew about the contact job
rover2341:               He boss heard about it at some point, and freaked out.
rover2341:               So I get called in yesterday, and got offered 30-45% rise to stay. I never said i was going to leave.
rover2341:               Anyway contract job is contract to hire so he may have been on to something and there giving me 35$ a hour (standard job 22). and have talked and more or less planed for a position i could fill. so i have some options now. Who knew doing some contract work could make such a impact
rover2341:               then again my main job could have got mad and just fired me. even though i got permission to do contract job as i had to flex my standard work hours.
rover2341:               Thing are looking up
rover2341:               most jobs i applied to and interviewed said no thank you you have 1 year, or pro expereince, or you expect to go part time during your schooling (30, and less as it gets busy), or no you dont have a degree. even though i made it clear on my resume i dont and am attending school.
rover2341:               but contract job, has seen my skill first hand for 2-3 weeks, and in my mind i have been knocking it out of the water there. So I cant do any better then that
rover2341:               and i got my first job due to my roller coaster game (been 1.3 years with) neat how that works and how that got made to making it with the warcraft 3 edtior.
Slapshot136:             You should turn that into a "member story" post rover
Slapshot136:             and tom, if you want a server to play around with, the amazon ec2 micro servers are free for a year (as long as you stay under 15gb of bandwidth per month)
tom_mai78101:            NOOoiiiceeee , @rover2341, POST THAT STORY!
tom_mai78101:            If Amazon is free for one year, I would probably stay with github, when that is free for at least 2 years (since I got student account).
tom_mai78101:            I don't know if Amazon would give me a domain name for free for 1 year though. I'll have to look at it a bit. If it did, then I DNS that with my github pages, and get a nice portfolio webpage going.
Varine:                  Domains only cost like 20 bucks dude - just buy one.
tom_mai78101:            Well, I have a tight budget, like $400 per month for all expenses (food, etc.)
tom_mai78101:            My monthly balance is currently in the $370 area.
Varine:                  You could always use a co.cc domain. What is your current website? I'm sure you posted it but I don't wanna look
tom_mai78101:            tommai78101.github.io
tom_mai78101:            currently still working on that.
tom_mai78101:            And I didn't give you the link, just the domain name.
tom_mai78101:            It sucks because Github Pages require that I reuse my account name, and not a cooler sounding name.
Varine:                  Can't you use a co.cc domain for the time being? They give a few free ones. I mean I guess it's still a subdomain sort of, but that would effectively get what you need for free.
Varine:                  At least you would have a domain name that's got a somewhat professional TLD (it looks better than x.github.io anyway)
Varine:                  It would just be whatever.co.cc. Easy to remember, quick to type, so users would have easy access and wouldn't feel like they're visiting a third world website.
Slapshot136:             I should say that the amazon server is good in that you get root access to the server, and can run su and do whatever
tom_mai78101:            Will consider it. Right now, I just need to concentrate on fixing my portfolio.
tom_mai78101:            Unrelated, I have updated my avatar to a hi-resolution version.
Varine:                  Your portfolio shouldn't need fixing prior to looking for a domain or server.
Varine:                  Get that adequate before looking to make it public; in the event I want to see your work, I'm not going to look at it twice
Varine:                  Admittedly I'm not ever looking in the tech field, but when I was looking for cooks or chefs, if I found a website they had one shot
Varine:                  They usually also had to make something in front of us, but that was the few that passed the initial interview
Varine:                  If they gave me a website to look at, and it looked liked shit (no offense, but kind of like yours), they were right the fuck out.
Varine:                  And a surprising amount threw a shitty website up for themselves., I was not expecting the amount of websites I got for not very good cooks
Varine:                  Not that you're at all in the same field, but I imagine the basic principle applies
tom_mai78101:            Yes, it applies.
Varine:                  If it's on the Internet, and I can find it, it better look good. If you can't make a good website, you can't make anything.
Varine:                  And based on your user name, I didn't actually find your website, but I found this
Varine:                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tom_mai78101
Varine:                  Fix that
tom_mai78101:            Ah yeah, that one from 7 years ago.
Varine:                  You will never get a job (again, with me) if I found a thing remotely like that
tom_mai78101:            You mean the one on the Wiki?
Varine:                  I, and most people I know, would have gotten to the word murder and moved on
Varine:                  I realize that you aren't advertising yourself as tom_mai 78101 on your resume, but in most serious places that give a fuck
Varine:                  They will be looking into that. It isn't hard to find your usernames once I have your full information that is usually on the application
tom_mai78101:            I should really advertise my new account name, Asperatology.
Varine:                  It costs like fifty bucks to get someone else that's good at it to do it for me. You need to consider your digital footprint
tom_mai78101:            Yeah, I really do.
Varine:                  I don't know what Aspertology is, but get yourself away from the word murder
Varine:                  I get mine isn't any better, but I happen to be really fucking good at my job and I'm in kitchens
Varine:                  Not the internet. People don't know how to google me,
tom_mai78101:            I thought you're into medicine. Are you switching fields?
Varine:                  And it would make no difference anyway because, again, it's a kitchen. I wouldn't be the first murderer to be there. I would just be the first to have a recognizable name
Varine:                  Well
Varine:                  It's not recognizable, but in the general radius people know who I am.
Varine:                  You, on the other hand, have a lot more background to contend with. All I do is make food and if I really fuck up, they can just fire me.
Varine:                  If for whatever reason they don't like you, in a technological field, you could potentially do a hell of a lot more damage than a pissed of patron
Varine:                  So, again, I know little about your field. But management wise, based off the little bit I found, you appear to be a risk (I, personally, obviously know better after several years 'knowing' you, but that's what it looks like)
tom_mai78101:            Thanks for the feedback.
Varine:                  You need to take that into account here in the US man. I've had potential employers drop cross country plane tickets on me, only to not hire me over alcohol charges from three years ago. Don't assume this shit is a joke here, they WILL take it seriously if they are a SERIOUS employer
Varine:                  There is a reason I work for an okay resort in Montana and not n/naka or Fearinngton. I am an amazingly good cook (as preposterous and asshole-ish as that sounds)
Varine:                  And it's because they found shit reviews about me. If you're serious about your career, take every single thing someone can find about you into account.
Varine:                  And fix what isn't right, and get rid of what needs to be gotten rid of.
Varine:                  I realize I sound like an asshole, but at a high end resort like I used to work for, they look into that shit. I'm sure tech companies do as well - probably moreso.
Varine:                  And I'm not kidding, that murder thing on Wikipedia will no do you any favors, and it is not expensive to get your usernames if you submit a full app
Varine:                  Get that removed from your name, it will fuck you over
tom_mai78101:            Ok.
Varine:                  I also see that it already has been changed?
Varine:                  The only thing left on there is a notion about prison. Not as big of a deal as murder, but if you personally are actually Paul Branson, maybe consider something, again, more along the lines of legal. Most people don't realize how easy it is to go to prison and won't take that as a joke either
tom_mai78101:            Yeah, it wasn't easy before, but now...
Varine:                  Not that big of a deal, certainly less than the murder thing, but still - unless you are an A+ applicant, it's just a thing that will be seen
tom_mai78101:            Just changed everything, and left behind just to let readers know I loved being anonymous with this account.
Varine:                  I'm not pretending my digital footprint (or actual criminal record) is totally clean man
tom_mai78101:            And I admit that.
Varine:                  But again, don't think I'm where I'm at because I want to be in Montana. I would love to work at Jade Mountain or Alinea. I'm happy here, but this is not my potential. And it's because of stupid shit
tom_mai78101:            You haven't told me anything about you changing lanes from medicine. You did or not?
Varine:                  It will be the same for you. Don't let Wikipedia or potentially bad reviews of your work/self limit where you can go - keep it under control man.
Varine:                  No I'm still into medicine. But I've been cooking for most of my life
tom_mai78101:            What a cliffhanger, man...
Varine:                  And I love it - but I've seen what's out there about me and I realize why I don't get hired at the places I want to work
Varine:                  It isn't because I'm a bad cook. It's because of assholes that I walked out on and people with awful standards that said I was bad, and I never looked into it.
Varine:                  Until recently, and found all the little shit about me that I didn't think anyone would look into
Varine:                  My name is all over the place when it comes to cooking man. I've worked at some high end places internationally - I don't want to do it anymore, but after a few missteps in this industry, like any, it's not easy to recover. I can't take away walking out of the places I have, and I can't fix the meals I've fucked up for people who requested me.
Varine:                  So, I'm not making a hundred grand a year
Varine:                  I'm barely making it by like everyone else, until a few weeks ago I was working sixty to eighty hour weeks at an okay resort
Varine:                  Now I'm doing better, but still man - that shit is out there and will fuck your life over. I can't afford medical school, and at my wages I will not be able to
Varine:                  So I have dreams, but that doesn't mean they will happen. Welcome to the United States bro - you can be the best at what you do, but it doesn't mean a fucking thing if there is something that says you're not
Varine:                  So, I'm just saying man - take care of what's out there, and make sure it's fair. Because life isn't, and it never will be - you will get what you can take from others and that's it.
Varine:                  Nothing will be handed to you because your good at it. You need to make sure you can take whatever it is you want, because someone else wants it to and they will have no problem throwing you under the bus for it
Varine:                  Fuck dude, they'll throw you under he bus even if you're not getting it so long as they aren't. Your sense of humor won't pass across Wikipedia, as far as anyone knows you're a convict
Varine:                  That's all I'm saying, in an overly expanded, marijuana/alcohol induced kind of way.
tom_mai78101:            That's enough for me to encourage myself to try and clean up all the footprints I left behind as a teen.

Attachments

• lifeprotips_theHelperForums.txt
    16.3 KB · Views: 610

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, if you still care, I think shes dead.
Never saw her ever again. No mail no nothing.
She was supposed to take an exam with me, she even asked to study together. She didnt even show up at the exam.

Few weeks later there were like flowers and candles around the train station at the university. Apparently somebody has thrown himself/herself in front of a train. Dont know who it was but it might just as well have been her.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
She found out about this forum and killed herself D: Or Accname just made everything up (and I hope for the latter)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
She was supposed to take an exam with me, she even asked to study together. She didnt even show up at the exam.

Few weeks later there were like flowers and candles around the train station at the university. Apparently somebody has thrown himself/herself in front of a train. Dont know who it was but it might just as well have been her.
So... you made her commit suicide?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score

What I wanted to see is a news article of that.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
She found out about this forum and killed herself D: Or Accname just made everything up (and I hope for the latter)
Nah, I still have a slip of paper she gave me with her email adress on; I also have an email of her she sent me a few hours later. Dont understand why she gave me that slip of paper in the first place if she was going to send me an email anyways.

So... you made her commit suicide?
Maybe I just didnt stop her?

What I wanted to see is a news article of that.
I googled for her name in combination of recent suicides or accidents but nothing came up. Still, might be my chobo google skills.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Contact her, at least mention to her that her grades are going to slip if she doesn't come to class. She will definitely care about that.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I never said you "care" her. I said to contact her. And she will care about her grades, not you.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
She's MIA. (Missing in Action) If police were to find her stash of, I don't know, something that has to do with you, you could become a suspect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.