Technology Microsoft demos a high-performance 1ms-latency touchscreen.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

Whenever a new tablet gets released the main question that gets asked about its touchscreen is “what’s the resolution?” It seems to be taken for granted that the capacitive touch display will just work, and we all accept a certain amount of finger lag when using it.

The reason for this is the typical latency of a touchscreen is around 100ms. That’s why if you are drawing quickly on the screen your finger gets ahead of what is happening on the display. Is that acceptable? Microsoft thinks not.

Paul Dietz works in the Applied Sciences Group at Microsoft, and he’s been working on improving the latency of touchscreens. What they have achieved is to decrease the latency of a touch panel down to just 1ms. That’s fast enough to keep up with the quickest finger movements.

The video above gives a great demonstration of the difference the super low latency makes. Even at 10ms the lag is noticeable, but 1ms makes it as close to perfect finger tracking as it will ever get.

Last edited by a moderator:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Awesome. IMO, this is the best update they could make to tablet devices--it is a change that is actually worth the expense of updating. (or at least of more worth than most other updates)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome. IMO, this is the best update they could make to tablet devices--it is a change that is actually worth the expense of updating. (or at least of more worth than most other updates)

Latency is decreased from 100ms to 1ms, battery life is decreased from 8 hours to 10 minutes == profit.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
By the way, I earlier read an article stating this was just a demo. Like a concept car, non-existent and probably in the distant future.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Only if you insist that tablets are to be unplugged from their power source...

NoobImbaPro

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Something expected from the ones who first created a Pad.

*Latency is decreased from 100ms to 1ms, battery life is decreased from 8 hours to 10 minutes == profit.
When something is better, it does not mean it consumes more energy....in distant future that technology won't harm battery life.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some kinds of "improvements" which you can really say they will not need to use up too much more energy. Increasing the number of updating circles per second however is one of those things which i can blindly guess to be making a huge deal in energy consumption.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Pretty cool. It doesn't really show they are advancing it but showing what it would be like if things get down to 1 ms.
The future of computing is sure going to be interesting.

(I wont let anyone touch my keyboard or mouse though. Ill shoot first if someone tries to take it away from me)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.