Sci/Tech Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Microsoft has unveiled a new Surface Pro 3 device at a press event in New York City today. Like the previous Surface tablets it still includes a kickstand, but Surface chief Panos Panay says it's designed to remove the conflict of buying a laptop or a tablet. The kickstand on the device is multi-stage, and the device is just 9.1mm thick. "This is the tablet than can replace your laptop," claims Panay. Microsoft has moved to a 12-inch screen on the Surface Pro 3 with a 3:2 aspect ratio and HD display, but the new tablet also has thin bezels with a silver and black design. Microsoft is planning to release the Surface Pro 3 tomorrow starting at $799.

Along with the Surface Pro 3 being a lot thinner, it's also a lot lighter than the previous models as it's 800 grams in weight. The weight of the original Surface Pro tablets was a big drawback, and it appears Microsoft has really focused on removing the bulk this time around. Panay used Apple's MacBook Air to compare the popular laptop with the new Surface Pro 3 on stage at Microsoft's event in New York City today, noting the weight benefits and screen resolution improvements. Microsoft has also been working closely with Intel to ensure the Surface Pro 3 includes the latest Core i7 processors. The processor still requires a fan, but Microsoft has refined the chassis on the Surface Pro 3 so you no longer notice the fan ridge the company used on the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.

Read more here. (The Verge)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all about the interface. If you can invent an interface that's better than a keyboard, then you can destroy the laptop. Until then, Microsoft will need to include the keyboard cover as an option for the Surface tablets.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The title is some stupid editorial crap. No tablet will ever replace a laptop, because they all lack a keyboard.
One of the points of their presentation was, that it came with an attachable keyboard and kickstand. This is supposed to make it just like a laptop. You either believe that, or not.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Can the Surface OS run programs like 3DS Max or AutoCAD? It isn't a full Windows OS is it?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I don't think it will destroy Laptops! Btw: Do any tablets play DVDs? Hmm

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Well FireCat, you don't really need DVDs anyway ha. And if you still prefer them, a designated DVD player and TV would be better.

Looks neat.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Just hook up a portable dvd drive via usb. You can get these things as cheap as 15€ over here.
Portable blue ray player for 40€ or so.

FireCat

Reaction score
And if you still prefer them, a designated DVD player and TV would be better.
Why in the world... would I carry a TV and a DVD player around? I mean, laptops have pretty much everything you need!
Pretty easy to transport. A tablets may be easier, but that's all!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to watch a movie just download it. Who uses DVD's anymore?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I never watch movies on laptops. I watch them on my computer. Illegaly downloaded from the internet.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I think Firecat overtrolled itself and is malfunctioning. It has confused even itself.

FireCat

Reaction score
NO! Varine I didn't

Accname said:
I never watch movies on laptops. I watch them on my computer. Illegaly downloaded from the internet.
I know you are a thief ! That's nothing new! But that's not the point, But why do you need a "tablet" if you have an PC/Laptop at home?
You can't even watch old DVDs on it etc..
Hmm, I would be impressed if they could ntegrated dvd/bluray reader etc.. well, if they could make it thin enough!
But still "I wouldn't buy that for a dollar! Ha"

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> But still "I wouldn't buy that for a dollar! Ha"
I would if it is.

Gonna love the pressure sensitive pen. Sounds pretty good for graphic works.

I know you are a thief ! That's nothing new! But that's not the point, But why do you need a "tablet" if you have an PC/Laptop at home?
Because you can't carry PC around? That's pretty much your own response. Haha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.