Minecraft

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Does it really need that much memory?
What about processor too. How much of that does it need?

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Well I can say that it does lag if you have 10 players on with hMod and only have 2.5 GB of memory

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
my friend runs a minecraft server and you just need 500mb of RAM 10 Gbs of free data space and a reliable internet connection (5mb/s)

PureOwnage

Reaction score
Lyrae, you don't even need that much RAM if it's going to be a private server only for us (assuming you'll use white list)

Lyerae

Reaction score
I can try that, but I'm not entirely sure how to set one up, nor how reliable it would be.

PureOwnage

Reaction score
Quite simple actually. Search hMod on google and download build 131.
Unzip and read the readme.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, do run the servers without using GUI. That way, you can configure how much RAM you're dedicating for MineCraft. A quick option is to use the command prompt in any operating system (Terminal for Linux and Mac, Command Prompt for Windows), and run the server with "java" command.

What about processor too. How much of that does it need?

Processor is fine. The minimum requirements for processors is you need to have 1.5 GHz single core. I'm running on 1.6 GHz dual core, and nothing wrong is happening. The recommended requirements is at least 2.0 GHz, it could be dual, or single.

I have not compared both types of processors, so whichever you're using, it's probably fine, according to present day's standards.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
A Minecraft server is actually pretty process-intensive. If several people are editing around the same area it may start to lag quite a bit if your processor is of average quality.

Trust me, I've hosted one :p 3 GHz+ single would be beneficial. I happen to have a badass old desktop that's 1 gig RAM, 4 GHz single core processor and it works fine for myself, my roommate and his friends. Again, I'd host for us, however, our IP is not static and our network connection is quite insecure.

Lyerae

Reaction score
Well I ran hMod on my laptop and tried connecting on my desktop, and it didn't work so well. Doesn't look like I'll be able to run it. :/

> our IP is not static
You could download some sort of DNS server, and have it use a free domain (co.cc, for example).

> our network connection is quite insecure.
How so?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought using an external IP and an already NAT-bridged modem without any routers in between works.

I'll edit this post once I get home and post my external IP on here, and use Minecraft to connect to this IP.

External IP: 61.227.125.48
Online Time: 00:00 AM (GMT +0800) through 12:00 PM (GMT +0800).

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
We have our IP static but I'm not sure if my roommate wants it to be a public server or not.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Old setup? I have no idea what you meant by that. If it's my current setup, I have no problems with it. I have an average of 5 players in my world building and running away from creepers.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Tomorrow's going to be a big day in Minecraft. Alpha -> Beta

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I felt sad that Notch gave up his Ludum Dare entry. But, there's more in March, I think...

Also, I learned from his codings that, to have graphics sprites in your program, I should try using BITMAP and Win32 API to load them into my program. But how to compile everything up, like a Java binary file (JAR file), it's really not like Java in C++.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
47657_185501778133800_100000219378757_770801_6945450_n.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.