Minimize all vs show desktop trouble

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I made a "custom" toolbar, which servers the same purpose as "Quicklaunch", but I could drag this one to the top of the screen, and I really like (feels more like ubuntu :shades: )

There is one problem though: when I right click on the taskbar and choose Show desktop, or use a custom made shortcut placed in my custom toolbar, it hides my custom toolbar.
Which is very impractical, because most of other programs are launched from icons on that certain toolbar, and I can't press Show Desktop again either (to restore the windows)

There is also a way, to Minimize All windows, with Win+M (and Win+Shift+M to restore), which is even faster, but I don't have an idea on how to make that a leftclickable icon to be placed on the toolbar... Google didn't help at all, everyone recommends the show desktop crap, but can't use it as I mentioned

Suggestions? Thanks in advance

Faust

Reaction score
No one? isn't there a way to detect/read what windows is actually doing? I mean, like a command prompt...

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
I don't know if this would work, but could you bring it in focus after the desktop is shown?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
How did you make your custom toolbar? What programming language?

Can't you just set your custom toolbar to topmost?

Faust

Reaction score
I right clicked the taskbar, went to Toolbars>New Toolbar.

And dragged it to the top.

The option "Always on Top" is checked, but if I do show desktop, it takes the focus

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Ahh I see, I'll have a look next time I'm in windows. I thought you'd written your own w/ a programming language :p

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'll do what you're trying to do, and see if I can get it to "not hide" when I click show desktop. :p

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
For me it stays on top whenever I press show desktop =/. Just tested it. No idea about the shortcut though, too lazy to do that xD.

Anyway, I found a possible solution to the problem, dunno if it will work though, as I do not have your problem :p.

Open a notepad file and paste this code into it:

Code:
Set shell = wscript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Shell.MinimizeAll

Then save it as "minimize.vbs" on your desktop (you will have to select All Files as file type when you save the file, not .txt). Then just make a shortcut to it into the quick launch bar on the taskbar and there you have it. An alternative to Show Desktop.

Faust

Reaction score
For me it stays on top whenever I press show desktop =/. Just tested it. No idea about the shortcut though, too lazy to do that xD.

Anyway, I found a possible solution to the problem, dunno if it will work though, as I do not have your problem :p.

Open a notepad file and paste this code into it:

Code:
Shell.MinimizeAll

Then save it as "minimize.vbs" on your desktop (you will have to select All Files as file type when you save the file, not .txt). Then just make a shortcut to it into the quick launch bar on the taskbar and there you have it. An alternative to Show Desktop.

Thanks, it works! Is there a way to make a "restore all" one too?

I have xp

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Thanks, it works! Is there a way to make a "restore all" one too?

I have xp

Google solved that one as well. The code for a file that restores all windows would be:

Code:
Shell.UndoMinimizeAll

I guess both codes could be merged into a single file using an IF structure, but I am not familiar with VBS, so I don't really know how would that be made :p.

Faust

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe a variable that tells if the last command was minimizeall or undominimizeall? :|

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I am unsure if the respective variable will still exist, as once the script is executed, I guess all variables are cleared up so you won't be able to check it again. Maybe storing the value into a text file, but that's getting into file management. Maybe there's a Windows global variable to see if all windows are minimized?

Faust

Reaction score
Probably... I have no clue even where to look for it though... @_@

Faust

Reaction score
So, can't anyone shed some light on the variables thing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.