US News Mississippi blames 'typo' for including huge mosquito among new state flag designs

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A viral design being proposed as the new state flag for Mississippi originated as a joke and was only included in a list of finalists due to a typo, according to officials.

The Mississippi Department of Archives and History (MDAH) is currently narrowing down options to replace its current flag after lawmakers voted to remove the Confederate battle flag from its current version. The MDAH recently revealed its finalists after accepting over 1,000 submissions for possible flag redesigns.

In an internet-age situation reminiscent of the Boaty McBoatFace naming, one of the finalists that quickly drew viral attention and support was a joke flag that features a giant mosquito at the center.

Mississippi resident Thomas Rosete told the Clarion Ledger that he designed and submitted the mosquito flag as a joke on a coworker who didn't want the flag changed. Rosete works as a deckhand on the Yazoo River and said he is familiar with the state's large mosquito population and thought they are fitting to represent the state.

“I believe people from all backgrounds can get behind this and raise it proudly,” Rosete told the Clarion Ledger. “I said something like that in the [submission] email. And now I actually do believe that.”

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.