Mobile Application Architecture - Suggestions and Criticism

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've partnered with a few people to begin development on a new mobile application we'll call 'MobileX.' MobileX is meant to run on the iPhone and thus the Apple OS X written in C++. We've researched and discussed several architectural designs and have finally decided upon which technologies we'd like to use.

Here's what I'm asking of you: What are the ups and downs of each? What can we do better?

Database:
We chose MySQL simply because our initial designs included PHP and the communications between the two are alluring. We'd like to stash our database on a virtual Unix server on a cloud network. Amazon has a nifty micro business plan which seems to fit our usage needs quite nicely.

Application Server:
Using an Apache engine affixed with TomCat, we decided to utilize JSP for connections into the database. HttpRequests will be routed from our registered domain (/.../user/user-id) and into our Java code. I've heard rumours that we're thinking of passing the information back in a JSON readable format.

Client Side:
The client code will of course be written in C++ and will utilize much of Apple's APIs.

I'd like to leave room for an eventual Android OS version of MobileX. Do any of these technologies limit development for either? Furthermore, which database environment would you suggest that is compatible with both OS X and Windows?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
Personally, I think you should stick with PHP. As you said, its connection with MySQL is alluring and you can get the same performances, and probably better ones with PHP, if used properly (opcode caching, data caching with memcached or files). I also think that on a smaller scale, PHP will take less ressources than a TomCat server would. Not to mention that is it much easier to find a host with PHP installed than a host with JSP installed. You might also want to look for NodeJS, a JavaScript framework that allows you to script in JavaScript server side and that has a very wide range of libraries and assets.

I'd like to leave room for an eventual Android OS version of MobileX. Do any of these technologies limit development for either?
No, Java has pretty decent libraries when it comes to JSON and classes to handle it. HashMap and ArrayList are pretty much directly compatible with the JavaScript Array / Object.

Furthermore, which database environment would you suggest that is compatible with both OS X and Windows?
MySQL is cross platform and open source, as well as widely used. You might also want to check mongo-db which has document-oriented features. MongoDB uses JSON and JavaScript to store data, so if you're looking into using JSON for data sharing, it might just suit your needs better. (On their home page, hit the "Try it out" button, and you'll see what I mean)

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that is it much easier to find a host with PHP installed than a host with JSP installed.

I was given the impression that since we are using a virtual server, we can install whichever technologies we need on a host. Is this not true?

I also think that on a smaller scale, PHP will take less ressources than a TomCat server would.

We plan to have many thousands of users issuing data requests often. We will need the ability to handle all of these and have the resources required available. I'm not against PHP, since we will be using it for site based (non-mobile) requests anyway.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
I was given the impression that since we are using a virtual server, we can install whichever technologies we need on a host. Is this not true?
Yes this is true. I forgot you are using a VPS.

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've looked into MongoDB. You're right, it does match up rather well with what we've chosen. I'll have to investigate further! Thank you very much for your input, it has been most helpful thus far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.