Moonlite Map Studio open beta release

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
I Tired it But It seems to crash quite a bit for me, But I understand its just a beta release, So cant wait for a finished product :)

Please report all crashes.

Yes sir. It is all true. When I Installed, it created a bunch of empty folders on my desktop without deleting 'em.

I'll try to fix it, even if I can't reproduce it :p

BUGS -

Project Managar completely fucked up.

Sometimes getting things like "This is not a valid extension" when I try to change the name of a file in the project manager, can't even deselect it without getting spammed with messages like that.

Sometimes when I add a new file it will be like "testgx" instead of "test.gx", when I rename it in project manager it's still fucked and I think this causes the syntax highlighter to go haywire.

Your function searcher or wtf it is sucks alot, I searched for "c_" and my comp was frozen for like 30 seconds.

Try stop using 150mb of ram for something as little as this.

Why the fuck is there a process called "java.exe" that moonlite starts that jumps up and hogs 50mb ram ever 3 seconds or so? It's like after 1 second, 30% CPU and after 2 seconds 50% and then at 3 back to 0% and then it starts all over again.

Not sure if it's a bug but it doesn't highlight natives.

Can you tell me exactly what you did to make the "File extension not valid" issue? Is it random? I can't reproduce :/
It's pretty normal for the project manager not to like files with no extensions :p I will rewrite my file naming code.
Well, of course the function list is slow when you search for c_. Like 30% of 14000+- objects starts with c_ :p
It's not little, it does a lot. Trust me, the whole project is 200000 IL instructions.

It's a not bug. Natives will be redundant when Gex includes the Andromeda stdlib.

Yeah I know now but that it runs every 2-3 seconds is just stupid -.-

Well, it's the parser. It kinda has to run a lot :p Also, you can change the parsing interval in View -> Show Options Window -> Text Editor.

Why should I? It's Moonlite that makes it run so therefore it's Vestras that should do something about it.

This is indeed true, however it is Andromeda/Java that is taking so much memory.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
What I did
1. Got .net 4.0
2. Downloaded Installer
3. Ran Installer As Admin
4. Ran Program As Admin

What Happens
1.Program starts

Crashes
1.If I run the Installer With out running as admin
2.If I run moonlight with out running as admin
3.If I hit the Green Arrow, I think that's the test map button.

Bug Report/Issues
1.The Function Explorer Search, Runs Very Slow, to the point it locks of the program for a few seconds.
2. Even though I know I cant compile it yet, if i hit the button it crashes the program. So In till its impended that should be disabled or something.
3. When the blue screen that says the program is loading shows up the text on the bottom left is whited out for the first few seconds and then it appears normal.

Things Cant wait to be finished
1. The code completion
2. Cant open .a Files the Andromeda file type.

Suggestions
1. A Few Samples. (Hello World, using just galaxy), and Hello World Using Andromeda or maybe even a sample with classes. Maybe even 2-3 Sample Maps, that show some major concepts.
2. A Way to save my tool-Bar layout and to reset it.
3. On the loading screen perhaps add the logo in the middle your call just a thought.
4. Just after the program starts It shows the start Page, Prehaps you could add links there to tutorials on how to do things with code in general.

Thoughts
Before Andromeda I didn't have classes, Basically would have made it harder to make the maps I want.
Then I got notepad++, so I could have syntax highlighting.
Then With it, It was a 3 step process save map, open Andromeda and compile map, open map editor.
Then I got it to bypass the map editor, so only a 2 step process.
Now with Your App, It will be a 1 step process, debug tools in the same spot as my code, and code completion with a list of all the functions on the side.

I am very happy with how things have been going, The only thing left once this gets out of beta will be for me to find some solid samples as references some tutorials and some libraries I can use.
Thanks for taking the time to make something like this It will save me hours of time working on a map.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
What I did
1. Got .net 4.0
2. Downloaded Installer
3. Ran Installer As Admin
4. Ran Program As Admin

What Happens
1.Program starts

Crashes
1.If I run the Installer With out running as admin
2.If I run moonlight with out running as admin
3.If I hit the Green Arrow, I think that's the test map button.

Bug Report/Issues
1.The Function Explorer Search, Runs Very Slow, to the point it locks of the program for a few seconds.
2. Even though I know I cant compile it yet, if i hit the button it crashes the program. So In till its impended that should be disabled or something.
3. When the blue screen that says the program is loading shows up the text on the bottom left is whited out for the first few seconds and then it appears normal.

Things Cant wait to be finished
1. The code completion
2. Cant open .a Files the Andromeda file type.

Suggestions
1. A Few Samples. (Hello World, using just galaxy), and Hello World Using Andromeda or maybe even a sample with classes. Maybe even 2-3 Sample Maps, that show some major concepts.
3. On the loading screen perhaps add the logo in the middle your call just a thought.
4. Just after the program starts It shows the start Page, Prehaps you could add links there to tutorials on how to do things with code in general.

Thoughts
Before Andromeda I didn't have classes, Basically would have made it harder to make the maps I want.
Then I got notepad++, so I could have syntax highlighting.
Then With it, It was a 3 step process save map, open Andromeda and compile map, open map editor.
Then I got it to bypass the map editor, so only a 2 step process.
Now with Your App, It will be a 1 step process, debug tools in the same spot as my code, and code completion with a list of all the functions on the side.

I am very happy with how things have been going, The only thing left once this gets out of beta will be for me to find some solid samples as references some tutorials and some libraries I can use.
Thanks for taking the time to make something like this It will save me hours of time working on a map.

Crashes:
1. I don't think I can do anything about that :/
2. ^
3. That'd be because of you using x64. I will use another MpqLib.

Bug reports/issues:
1. Arti suggested me to use a database instead, I think I will do so.
2. That's because of the mpq library I use. Doesn't support x64. I will change it.
3. Not much to do about it :(

I'm finishing the code completion right now :)
Moonlite has its own file format, .a won't be supported.

Suggestions:
1. I will :)
2. What?
3. Nah :p
4. I will :)

Thoughts:
Good to hear that you like it. Hopefully the next release will fix a lot of bugs and it'll be more useful. I will soon create documentation and add samples :)

You can't reproduce? Well, that's bad.
Is it a genetical deficiency or just because you don't have the correct partner?

http://xkcd.com/583/

Haha, very funny :thdown:

rover2341

Reaction score
1. Moonlite has its own file format, .a won't be supported.
Moonlite is tightly integrated with the Andromeda language, meaning that it 100% supports OOP programming. Because of this, Moonlite supports dynamic error checking and intelligent and context sensitive code completion. (The code completion isn't implemented yet though)
Note that I want all the feedback, suggestions and error reports I can get. Although this is beta software it should be in a pretty stable state.

So Basically, Its the same thing with a different extension? As far as a user standpoint. I should be able to take my .a files copy the text in it save it as a moonlight file format. And then it will still work like Andromeda language file?
So my Hello World File that is in a .a file. I Copy the text to moonlight and save it and then it can run it?

I Dont get the concept here, But I am sure you have reasons for having a different file extension.

If I move my tool bars around for example till one to auto hide or move one to the right side of the screen, If i open and close the program, It will reset to default. This isn't a big deal but just something i thought i would bring up. If you change it so when you open it again that the tool bars are how you left them, then it would be great to have a reset to default button somewhere.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
1. Moonlite has its own file format, .a won't be supported.

So Basically, Its the same thing with a different extension? As far as a user standpoint. I should be able to take my .a files copy the text in it save it as a moonlight file format. And then it will still work like Andromeda language file?
So my Hello World File that is in a .a file. I Copy the text to moonlight and save it and then it can run it?

I Dont get the concept here, But I am sure you have reasons for having a different file extension.

If I move my tool bars around for example till one to auto hide or move one to the right side of the screen, If i open and close the program, It will reset to default. This isn't a big deal but just something i thought i would bring up. If you change it so when you open it again that the tool bars are how you left them, then it would be great to have a reset to default button somewhere.

1. Yeah, that's what you do.
2. Toolbars? You mean panels? They save positions.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Stupid question... does Moonlite auto update or do we have to?

Not yet. I will implement it at some point.
I fixed the issues with administrator rights. I also think I fixed the folders being somehow created on the desktop. I also fixed a load of bugs in the project manager (although some still remain)
I have yet to do the function list and finish the code completion. It works great! :thup:
I also need to change my mpq lib.

Moogle

Reaction score
To update Andromeda, we can just overwrite the Andromeda file in Compilers, right?

Also, in case I didn't mention it, this program is beautiful. Centered window title like Linux, full transparent top.. just amazing.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
To update Andromeda, we can just overwrite the Andromeda file in Compilers, right?

Also, in case I didn't mention it, this program is beautiful. Centered window title like Linux, full transparent top.. just amazing.

Yeah, you can.
Thank you very much :p
Remember that you can change skin by going to Extensibility -> Theming.

Moogle

Reaction score
A save all button would be much appreciated.

"value" isn't highlighted, nor are a number of other things, like include.

//Keywords, in alphabetical order
abstract break case catch class const continue default delete do else enrich
extends final finally for get if implements import include inline internal instanceof
interface is native new override package private protected public return set static
struct super switch this throws throw transient try typedef uses void volatile while
//Literals
true false null

From Andromeda's site. May want to make sure those are all in :O Although, geX hasn't updated it with the new stuff yet so :/.

When I fold my code blocks, they seem to randomly unfold themselves. I dont know when it happens or why, but it's creepy. I think it happened when I pushed Compile Map Script or save.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
A save all button would be much appreciated.

"value" isn't highlighted, nor are a number of other things, like include.

From Andromeda's site. May want to make sure those are all in :O Although, geX hasn't updated it with the new stuff yet so :/.

When I fold my code blocks, they seem to randomly unfold themselves. I dont know when it happens or why, but it's creepy. I think it happened when I pushed Compile Map Script or save.

There is one, File > Save Project. I should probably add it to the quick access toolbar though.
I'll add the unhighlighted stuff.

The reason your code blocks unfold would probably be because you add or delete { and }'s. There's not much I can do about it. Also Compile Map Script and save reparses the code.

Moogle

Reaction score
So wait, just creating a new function will unfold everything? That seems like something of a serious design flaw, since I'm folding to keep everything clutter free when I create new functions.

Also, I've noticed when copy pasting that for some reason some lines get repeated twice. I don't know how to reproduce it, but it's sorta weird!

Gwypaas

hook DoNothing MakeGUIUsersCrash
Reaction score
Vestras now go and make code highlighting and completion for natives and the function searcher efficient so I actually can use this tool! <3 And PLEASE, allow .a files in the project manager! :D

Moogle

Reaction score
Are you running the current one as administrator, Joker? I have UAC turned off, so all my programs automatically get that, and I have no troubles (besides actual bugs). I've also read that running it as admin has fixed it for other people.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
So wait, just creating a new function will unfold everything? That seems like something of a serious design flaw, since I'm folding to keep everything clutter free when I create new functions.

Also, I've noticed when copy pasting that for some reason some lines get repeated twice. I don't know how to reproduce it, but it's sorta weird!

No, not creating a new function, not at all. But if you delete an opening bracket (maybe closing too) before the folded function, it will unfold. Not anything to do about it, that's how most code folders work. By counting brackets, that is.
I think I have fixed it already - I have made it parse code on paste now.

Vestras now go and make code highlighting and completion for natives and the function searcher efficient so I actually can use this tool! <3 And PLEASE, allow .a files in the project manager! :D

I'll add highlighting for the natives - not completion (except for constants), as the Andromeda enrichments (http://www.sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=49), which are basically classes for wrappers, so you can write:
unit u = new unit(type, player, loc, facing);
u.hp += 100;

I'll try to make the function searcher more efficient, but it won't really be that necessary to have when the enrichments and constants are implemented into the code completion.

Hopefully the new version comes soon. I can't even run this one still. :(

Yeah, it is. Still finishing some stuff, and kinda waiting for gex to implement some more functionality into the output writer.
This is what I need to do:
  • Finish code completion (only have to add context sensitivity)
  • add highlighting for natives (done)
  • add constants to code completion (done)
  • fix an issue in the project manager
  • change mpqlib (done)

rover2341

Reaction score
You only forgot one thing. Cook a Cake For Rover. Just kidding Looks good :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.