Moral dilemma

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Alright, so I've recently purchased a laptop battery for my Dell laptop. To cut to the point:

The battery itself:
- it is flawed - it will refuse to charge the battery if the laptop is off (and will still still refuse when you turn the laptop on while the charger is plugged in)
- it only charges the battery when you plug in the charger while the laptop is on - and even then, sometimes it fails to work (I believe it is a timing issue)
- apart from these two flaws, works very well
- and may become an expensive paperweight if I completely discharge it (as per the two observations above, it should become impossible to charge) or simply over time (because Dell laptops are notorious at suddenly refusing batteries, according to my research)

The battery company:
- have been very nice as per their company policy, and have sent two replacements (the first battery didn't work at all, the third battery has the same flaw)
- have offered to let me keep the second flawed battery, AND give me a full refund on my money ($80 AUD).

The moral dilemma:
- should I accept the refund, or refuse?

I cannot decide, I feel strongly both ways (they've gone out of their way to try and help me, but they have sent me a faulty product which may become completely useless).

Thoughts?

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want to accept it? 80 AUD shouldn't weight much in that company's wallet, but it definitely has some weight in a normal consumer's wallet, you know. So I would accept the refund right away.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Keep it, get the refund, offer to send it back if you're still feeling guilty (if you pay any shipping fees at all, don't feel one bit guilty). Why would you develop any form of attachment to a company that doesn't produce quality products?

Keep the battery as a backup, and use the money to get a working one. I don't know about this specific company, but where I work, a lot of returned stuff gets thrown out, if it can't be resold. Sometimes perfectly good stuff.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'd personally get what I paid for. I have pretty high morals, but if I bought something, I expect it to work... Lol :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.