more =/= better; custom models =/= a good map

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
This is more of a rant than anything, so if the mods don't like that they can feel free to take this down.

Just a note to all would-be mapmakers out there: JUST BECAUSE YOU IMPORT CUSTOM MODELS INTO A GAME DOES NOT MAKE YOU A GOOD MAPMAKER, NOR DOES IT MAKE YOUR MAP DECENT. There is absolutely NO correlation between custom models and the quality of a map, your map should be able to stand up on the gameplay alone without relying on custom models. All custom models do is polish everything up. If your map sucks, it's just shiny suckiness.

Second, more content does NOT always make a map better! If the elements you've currently put into the game are imbalanced and just don't work, or if the gameplay is somehow flawed, adding MORE flawed gameplay, MORE imbalanced units or MORE other things instead of fixing balance issues and bugs does nothing to improve your map. Balancing is tough; I speak from experience. However, it is an essential part of any map, and you can't add more units if the things you currently have are imbalanced or flawed. Adding more crap to something that's already full of crap just makes an awful smell, it doesn't improve anything. Therefore, if you want a good map, take the time to balance what you have BEFORE adding more elements.

That is all I have to rant about. Thank you :)

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
There's a lot of maps that have a poor selection of imported custom models: they either don't fit in the map environment (Pikachu in a Warcraft AoS), or the texture quality is much too different (one HQ model hero in an RPG) than the grand majority of elements in the game. I pretty much agree with everything else, though, so that all I have to chip in to this little rant. Heh.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.