More Bill Maher rants

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
God I love this Dude

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTfjJnm7P0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTfjJnm7P0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

CatCat

Reaction score
Why is there such... tension, uuh no that's an understatement... Why are the two parties in America so agressive towards eachother? I know this may sound outright stupid to some of you.... but... uhm, do things have to be this way?

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Yes. Because we live under the authority of a Democracy. A system that allows the average intelligence, and not the upper most of our people to legislate the future of our country.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes. Because we live under the authority of a Democracy. A system that allows the average intelligence, and not the upper most of our people to legislate the future of our country.

Name another nation who doesn't do this?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Why is there such... tension, uuh no that's an understatement... Why are the two parties in America so agressive towards eachother? I know this may sound outright stupid to some of you.... but... uhm, do things have to be this way?

There's tension because both sides have largely different goals. With a country as big as the US you're going to have a lot of angry people with every decision that's made.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Democracy

You might want to qualify that statement. The United States has never been, nor was it ever intended to be, a pure democracy. Some research might show you that the United States is a representative/constitutional republic, or at best a representative democracy. It is important to note that the Founding Fathers of the US indeed feared a democracy for the type of "mob rule" that it might bring with it. Their intentions in crafting the constitution was to give people representation but not direct rule over the government, providing a check against the possibility of a "tyranny of the majority."

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There's tension because both sides have largely different goals. With a country as big as the US you're going to have a lot of angry people with every decision that's made.

Americans always told me there is only one party in the US: The Republicans, and then there is an offspring that calls itself the democrats.

Funny to see how Obama is sometimes depicted as a communist, while he is still near the centre of the spectrum :D

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
> Democracy

You might want to qualify that statement. The United States has never been, nor was it ever intended to be, a pure democracy. Some research might show you that the United States is a representative/constitutional republic, or at best a representative democracy. It is important to note that the Founding Fathers of the US indeed feared a democracy for the type of "mob rule" that it might bring with it. Their intentions in crafting the constitution was to give people representation but not direct rule over the government, providing a check against the possibility of a "tyranny of the majority."

While this is debatable, this philosophy is quite outdated. We live in a country run by two parties and this is not going to change because the rich benefit too much from such system and us, citizens, have no power to control it. The Founding Fathers never had in mind what the United States government is today. Washington himself warned against political parties.
Despite these issues, our government remains relatively stable compared to other countries, but I'm certain there are things we could change to ameliorate our system. For now, I'll continue to live out my student life in the hopes that one day real change will come.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
> Democracy

That's a quite well placed post right there^^ I have always thought that the thing we call democracy today is a mic between that and dictatorship.
We pick the people that should be our dictators.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
if there was a smart dictator in rule in some country, I'm sure the county would do fine.
I see no problem with picking the smartest dictator.

I'm cool with minority governments too.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
His points are valid, no doubt.

But, I don't like his overly-aggressive manner of delivery.

He makes moderate stances seem radical.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.