World More Chinese migrants, worried about economic and government oppression, are coming to the U.S. on foot, officials say

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A growing number of Chinese immigrants are crossing into the U.S. without papers, often taking harrowing journeys through several countries and modes of transport and using social media as their guide.

“I think what we’re seeing now are people who are more middle class who just feel that the opportunities are diminishing and that the political situation has just become a lot riskier,” said Ian Johnson, a senior fellow with the Council on Foreign Relations. “And so they are finding any method by hook or by crook to get out of China.”

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported that, in the past five months, at least 4,300 Chinese undocumented migrants have been apprehended crossing the southern border, which amounts to more than double the number for all of the previous year.

One immigrant spoke anonymously to MSNBC about his experience, saying he feared staying in China after speaking out against government corruption. Fearing further retribution after being jailed twice, he fled, following instructions left by those before him on Chinese social networking apps. Detailed guides, videos and maps helped him make the journey largely on his own.

“There’s a lot of information, trust me,” he said. “Step by step.”

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I would so give anyone on this journey a ride if I was going that way just saying.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.