Gaming More than half of parents let their kids play 18+ video games

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
More than half of parents let their kids play over 18s video games, according to the results of a new survey.

Childcare.co.uk surveyed more than 2000 parents in the UK, and found more than half let their children play video games for over 18s without supervision or knowledge of the game beforehand.

The findings won't come as much of a surprise to those familiar with video games and the video game industry. While video games carry age ratings, they're often ignored by parents.

When I worked at GAME in Barnsley in the early 2000s, I was berated by a father after I refused to sell Grand Theft Auto to his 10-year-old son. After pointing out the age rating of the game - and the fact I could have got into quite a lot of trouble for selling the game to his son - the father accused me of trying to tell him how to raise his kid.

It appears parents think of video games in a different way to movies, for example. According to the Childcare.co.uk survey, just 18 per cent of respondents said they would let 10-14-year-olds watch an 18+ movie.

86 per cent of respondents admitted they don't follow age restrictions on video games, whereas 23 per cent said they didn't follow age restrictions on films.

Childcare.co.uk's survey found 43 per cent of parents have seen a negative change in their child's behaviour since playing games aimed at adults, and almost a quarter said their kids now understand and use negative or offensive language since playing these games.

Digging into the detail of the survey, 72 per cent of respondents were mothers. All who responded were parents of children from the ages of five to 16, with 53 per cent boys and 47 per cent girls.

Read more here. (Eurogamer)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.