More then 1 build menu

Reaction score
Is it possible to have more then 1 build menu on a unit?
That is to say, a peasant, for example, would have the build menu for human structures, then another for Night Elf, another for Orc and so on.

I've thought of using psuedo build menus with spell books and the item abilities "build tiny ~~" but they clash anyway...

So i was just wondering if there was a way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, you can't :eek:

I never really tried to solve this, though. There might be a possibility (There's often a work-around with the WE), but it's only a possibility!

[LuDo]-CamuS

Reaction score
mmm maybe u should try to ad a skill that change the unit to another... (the other worker: same model... make dun lose selection etc etc ) then it would appear as having "one worker" that can builds everything ^^

ShadowTek

Reaction score
What do you mean by "they clash anyway"?

In order to use multiple spellbooks for a single unit, I think you have to change the baseorderid of the spellbooks to make sure that the same one isn't being summoned for the same unit.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
try adding spell book and add mini what ev building to spell book

G

guevara_cf

Some ideas

I think Daxten might be right, but check out this map I made for you... it might help with ideas for changing the buildings a unit can make.

I have just used region events, although you could easily change those to suit your needs e.g. a chat command or timer. Basically all that is happening is the unit is replaced with another unit which looks and feels exactly the same, (sound sets are different) but makes a new set of buildings. If you wanted, have a place with four regions on your map and just copy/paste the triggers etc and edit away.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• BuilderReplaceMap.w3x
    21.5 KB · Views: 97

ShadowTek

Reaction score
One thing I hate about the idea of replacing unit is the fact that the hotkeys that the unit is assigned to gets broken.

That may not be as much of a problem for others, but I rely heavily on unit hotkeys to maintain my sense of order in the universe. :)

ShadowTek

Reaction score
Oh yeah, :/, I know you can do that in-game. But I was referring to those moments, in the heat of battle, when you need a fast response time. You hit your hotkey for that unit, just to find out that nothing happens; all because you thought that you were using the same unit that you have always been using.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Or a trigger unit replacement.
Or maybe using metamorphosis?
e.g. and ability called "secondary level spells" and when the player clicks on it it will morph the first unit into one that looks exactly like the first but has a different building list. And vica versa.

Unit one has "secondary spells", Unit two has "primary spells"

Or you could use spellbooks, two on one unit and trigger every single building.

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
Make unit morph name i.e.
Peasant tier 1 building
Peasant tier 2 building
ECT

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
if your gona replace a unit, i would suggest useing Chaos instead of metamorphosis <have dummy abils for buttons, then have a trigger add in chaos>

altho ive found a very funky bug with it, with the method i just told you, if you chaos into the same unit <Ie a footman, into a footman> then their attack power dubbles, i have no idea what is the cause of this but ive run into it from playing around with my panda hero <who chaoses to "change" forms> for my mini AoS map.. altho this shuld not be a problem for you unless your biulder can deal damage

Also with that bug, because it dubbles every time, the number can get really big. That big number can bug warcraft and give your unit 0-0 attack power

Reaction score
What do you mean by "they clash anyway"?

In order to use multiple spellbooks for a single unit, I think you have to change the baseorderid of the spellbooks to make sure that the same one isn't being summoned for the same unit.

As in, the "build tiny ~~" abilities have the same base order id, so when they're in the spell book together when you cast one, they "clash".

Morphing and having more then one builder, are ideas i'm trying to stay away from... Ideally i'd like to have more then one build menu, whether it be actually building or through the "build tiny ~~" skills, but if there really is no other way to do it...

I did however, think of one other way. Since this is for a TD, i figured i could just use spell books as psuedo build menus, except inside have copies of channel to represent each tower. Then when you want to build the tower, an "aoe targeting image" will show up representing the range of the tower. Whether or not the towers will appear in the right spots is left to be seen, but what do you guys think of that idea?

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
well what wou can do is, fill the skill books full of dummy abilities, then make an item to biuld the structure, give the item to the casting unit and have the unit use the item to place it

Reaction score
the only problem is that, you can only get the "build grid" either from actually building or using the items/item abilities

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just make a shop that you can buy the buildings from or make separate building units.

master maste

Reaction score
why dont you use what someone said earlier about making a spellbook and adding those items as abilitys that create towers and town halls... then just edit them to the buildings you want and that way you get your grid. :)

Reaction score
because thats the way i tried to do it at first, but those item abilities all have the same order id, so when they're in the same spell book they will clash.

making a shop is an interesting idea, but making seperate builders is something i want to avoid more than morphing builders.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
It's definetly possible.

Nature's Call - Circle Defense has a very good implementation of it. No idea how it's done though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.