Sci/Tech Mouse faces extinction as computer interaction evolves

Hatebreeder

So many apples
With touching the screen you will always cover half of your screen for a split second. With a mouse, you don't ever. A mouse user will always be quicker, whether it's aiming, scrolling or anything else that requires displacement. I can't even tapp that acurate to write messages on a Samsung S+. Even with numberpads I'm quicker and more acurate and I'd say it's legit for me to say this since I just recently had to use my old phone because my new one was in rapairs.
This is hardly any news.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Touch screens have a significant lag to them that mice don't too.

Miz

Administrator
Mice now, Mice forever!

Its kind of like a book, a mouse is perfectly sculpted for the hands. Touchpads can be cumbersome and not really good for getting actual work done.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
But that super huge touchscreen Microsoft showed off that had close to no lag..
That thingy that required its own power plug and was too cumbersome for any real tablet..

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Which brings us back to the point: touch screens have too much lag.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
There's so much delay on a touch screen, so even if you have finger hitting skills, it's impossible for it to be faster than a mouse with no lag or delay

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
What i think why schools are using touch pads rather then mouses is that a mouse can be unplugged and i can imagine the kids stealing the mouses, or throwing them, or dropping them.
If they use a touch screen and the table/screen is mounted somewhere its pretty safe.
Unless somebody decides to punch it XD

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Mouses are old and well developed, touch screens are new.
Who knows, in 15 years that lag will probably be gone and the technique will have improved alot since now.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
You guys know that the title in this news post is there to catch your attention right? Just because it says that doesn't mean it's going to happen. The day I switch to touch screen from a mouse is when multi-touch is so accurate, it can detect more than 10 fingers on the screen at a time, and doesn't have issues with the screen sometimes not pressing buttons...etc

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Yeah, six year old fingers can handle a touch screen pretty easily. My real-life fingers, meanwhile - even if I use my pinkies to try to type - the touch screen and I are going to have many serious disagreements.

The mouse is good, though I agree with the poster above me - mind control is the way forward. RTS games, especially, need either mind-control or a way to wield two mice.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
I think the mouse will go away before the keyboard does. But i dont expect it too any time in the forseeable future. I suspect the mouse my be redesigned, in another fashion (not touch).

The only thing I can see removing the mouse from the game, or a keyboard for me, is if thought control was far enough along.

But even on my phone i have to touch the screen to type. my last phone had a keyboard, I miss it so much :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I have a GIF though
    In the GIF, I've configured it so the lower the "Main Value" is, the better. I had to compress it pretty far down though.
    And this is the thread with the video that shows the wall clip. https://tasvideos.org/Forum/Topics/23453
    +2
    Hmm, about the Headline News, I noticed threads are being moved into the subforum (Health News, Environmental News, etc.). When that happens, the TH Forum Home page loses the articles, and instead would show old articles posted 1 or 2 weeks ago.
    What do we do with the Home page?
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I added those forums to the filter for that widget.
    Oh nice. They're back. Thanks.
    Now I think it makes more sense for me to put news in their own subforums, without worry.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Awesome Ghan thanks! I was purposely not moving the first 15 news articles in Headline news to the different subforums but I guess I don't have to do that now?
    Question: Is there a way to remove thread redirects? It creates a copy of the moved thread and takes up space, and I am leaning towards wanting to remove them in the Headline News. But if they have an expiration date, I guess I'm fine with it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you move a thread please leave a permanent redirect. You can delete any redirects after 6 months. The redirects are left to help Search Engines find the moved content.
    What if you move the permanent redirect, not the thread?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think that works but I have not messed with it. You can delete redirects though if you have to that will not delete the original thread
  • The Helper The Helper:
    if a redirect ends up in the same forum as the post it goes to though I think the redirect drops or fails or something but they are not bugged out and when you are working on an indirect the original post is safe.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Early Friday :)
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday :)
    Fun Friday for me
    Happy Fun Friday to all.
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Sunday everyone!!!
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Sunday!!!
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    Happy monday :p
  • jonas jonas:
    Everyone hates mondays?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Tuesday!
  • jonas jonas:
    Happy belated tuesday

Staff online

• Ghan
      Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.