Sci/Tech Mouse faces extinction as computer interaction evolves

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
With touching the screen you will always cover half of your screen for a split second. With a mouse, you don't ever. A mouse user will always be quicker, whether it's aiming, scrolling or anything else that requires displacement. I can't even tapp that acurate to write messages on a Samsung S+. Even with numberpads I'm quicker and more acurate and I'd say it's legit for me to say this since I just recently had to use my old phone because my new one was in rapairs.
This is hardly any news.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Touch screens have a significant lag to them that mice don't too.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Mice now, Mice forever!

Its kind of like a book, a mouse is perfectly sculpted for the hands. Touchpads can be cumbersome and not really good for getting actual work done.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
But that super huge touchscreen Microsoft showed off that had close to no lag..
That thingy that required its own power plug and was too cumbersome for any real tablet..

Varine

Reaction score
Which brings us back to the point: touch screens have too much lag.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
There's so much delay on a touch screen, so even if you have finger hitting skills, it's impossible for it to be faster than a mouse with no lag or delay

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
What i think why schools are using touch pads rather then mouses is that a mouse can be unplugged and i can imagine the kids stealing the mouses, or throwing them, or dropping them.
If they use a touch screen and the table/screen is mounted somewhere its pretty safe.

Unless somebody decides to punch it XD

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Mouses are old and well developed, touch screens are new.
Who knows, in 15 years that lag will probably be gone and the technique will have improved alot since now.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
You guys know that the title in this news post is there to catch your attention right? Just because it says that doesn't mean it's going to happen. The day I switch to touch screen from a mouse is when multi-touch is so accurate, it can detect more than 10 fingers on the screen at a time, and doesn't have issues with the screen sometimes not pressing buttons...etc

Varine

Reaction score
Mouses are old and well developed, touch screens are new.
Who knows, in 15 years that lag will probably be gone and the technique will have improved alot since now.

In fifteen years I better be able to control these bitches with thoughts.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Yeah, six year old fingers can handle a touch screen pretty easily. My real-life fingers, meanwhile - even if I use my pinkies to try to type - the touch screen and I are going to have many serious disagreements.

The mouse is good, though I agree with the poster above me - mind control is the way forward. RTS games, especially, need either mind-control or a way to wield two mice.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I think the mouse will go away before the keyboard does. But i dont expect it too any time in the forseeable future. I suspect the mouse my be redesigned, in another fashion (not touch).

The only thing I can see removing the mouse from the game, or a keyboard for me, is if thought control was far enough along.

But even on my phone i have to touch the screen to type. my last phone had a keyboard, I miss it so much :(

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.