Spell Moving Strikes

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
Thanks. Anyone that can say something positive to this? Please. :thup:

This spell is good... but not sufficient to be approved... so i suggest you make more spells <based on the same style> and create a spellpack :D

also PLEASE.... USE DAMAGE SYSTEM -.-

unit is attacked is easy to bug

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
BJs are bad is not any kind of general rule.
Its just that most BJs do completely useless stuff that you dont really wana do, or are just wrappers for some natives, when all they do is add extra function call.

TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ is cool, because its shorter to type than some loop thingy. Alternatively I suggest you to use Anitarfs SpellEvent system. vJass exists to make system creation easy, so take advantage of it and use and make systems for doing stuff.

The system needed for this would be an attack detection system. ( In other words: a damage detection system with different damage types + spells that actually use those functions. )

Spells are more about the idea, tricks and the artwork anyways. Damage, healing, buff, projectile -systems exist to do the real job. Spell code is just to call some functions from those systems.

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
BJs are bad is not any kind of general rule.
Its just that most BJs do completely useless stuff that you dont really wana do, or are just wrappers for some natives, when all they do is add extra function call.

TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ is cool, because its shorter to type than some loop thingy. Alternatively I suggest you to use Anitarfs SpellEvent system. vJass exists to make system creation easy, so take advantage of it and use and make systems for doing stuff.

The system needed for this would be an attack detection system. ( In other words: a damage detection system with different damage types + spells that actually use those functions. )

Spells are more about the idea, tricks and the artwork anyways. Damage, healing, buff, projectile -systems exist to do the real job. Spell code is just to call some functions from those systems.

So what do you think about this spell? :D

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Spell idea aint bad actually. Its a simple and pretty nice one.

It just needs some love: some fitting effect for it maybe, or possibly some fading dummy unit trick thingy that remains in front of target for a while. Dont really know.
Every spell needs good animations for caster, but thats model thing and you cant really include it to spell itself.

As for the coding part, you should use systems, like I said already.

Id just modify the spell so, that the unit does extra attack, instead of doing extra damage.

Like this:
Unit damages target with attack, spell triggers.
Spell waits for [lJASS]( attack cooldown -damage point time - some x number ) * attackspeed thingies[/lJASS], and teleports unit behind the target.
Unit plays attack animation very quickly, some trail dummy effects there maybe, target is damaged by attack damage amount, you force all onAttack triggers to run. ( In otherwords: you fake an attack that is faster than the fastest attackspeed makes possible. )

If you decide it to be possible for this extra attack to trigger other extra attacks, you should make the position behind unit to be lil random, so its not always the same place, in case unit doesnt turn.

This however might require some systems that there is not yet released for public, but something more like that might be cool.

SanKakU

Reaction score
If the if is dependent on a constant global.

so, you're saying static if is for a constant.

if you try to do if whatever and whatever is a constant, it's no good...
but if you do static if whatever and whatever is a constant, then it's good.

so basically if you do static if whatever and whatever does not exist, are you still good?
if so, i'm having a hard time imagining examples of what you're going to use it for. anyone got anything?
wait a minute. how does it work now? do you always say...static if whatever==true ? can you do other stuff with it?

no wait...i think i get it...isn't it just a way to keep people from screwing up the code? i can't think of how it's useful besides making your own debugging system or something like that...

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
o_O

JASS:
constant boolean SHOW_ANIMATION = true

static if SHOW_ANIMATION then
    call DestroyEffect( AddSpecialEffect.....
endif

if TRUE = effect made
if FALSE = effect not made
if FALSE = not compiled; since it's constant, cannot be changed, no point in adding it to the script to be run, so ignored by compiler = better

SanKakU

Reaction score
ok, if i understand it right...static if is primarily for the sake of JESP coding, right?

does the variable in JESP always have to be a constant?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, the purpose of the static if is to avoid extra compilation you don't need. Let's say you make a library that has a lot of conditional statements in the configurable. It wouldn't make sense to compile a lot of extra code for no reason even though a constant would ignore it.

JESP has nothing to do with it, but static ifs can help it.

Edit: Just realized the configurables are larger than the code.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Back in the day, mainly before vJASS, Vexorian created a thing you could copy paste to your spells. It was a standard for spells, like saying that you had to have configurables for damage and stuff.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
but what is "JESP"... what mean it?

Jass = Just Another Syntax Script

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.