My Balance Changes:

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
My Balance Changes: Need Feedback Please!

Hey guys, at the moment I think Zerg is extremely weak. Protoss are not too bad in terms of balance but still need a few tweaks here and there. However, Terrans are the worst. In my opinion they have just been mindlessly buffed ever since patch 10 and some of the mechanics they have just break the game. Here is my list of balance changes and reasons for them:

Balance Changes:

Zerg:

Hydralisk Den:
Cost Change - 100 Minerals, 100 Vespene Gas (Originally 150 minerals 50 gas)

Currently, Hydralisks are just way too expensive; they have no movement speed upgrade, constantly require Creep to become somewhat useful, and are the ONLY ground unit that has Anti-Air besides the Queen which is practically a slightly mobile turret because it can't move around fast enough and must stay at base. Terrans get Anti-Air units at tier 1, and Protoss at tier 1.5. The Hydralisk's cost must go down to compensate for that.

Hydralisk:
Cost Change - 75 Minerals, 65 Vespene Gas (Originally 100 minerals 50 gas)

Same as above. This is kind of a buff and a nerf at the same time (since the gas is increased), however, it's not by much considering the Den's price has gone down a bit.

Queen:
Cost Change - 200 Minerals, 0 Vespene Gas (Originally 150 minerals 0 gas)
Requirement Change - Does not require Spawning Pool anymore and it can be built straight away at the Hatchery.

I changed the requirement because I believe the Zerg should be able to jump start their economy instead of going straight for military (Zerglings). The price increase is so that if you get the Queen first you sacrifice getting an earlier Spawning Pool (but protection to base and economy is boosted).

Roach:
Supply Change - 1 Supply (Originally 2 supply)
Cost Change - 80 Minerals, 25 Vespene Gas (Originally 75 minerals 25 gas)

Zerg are supposed to be about large armies, and having a tier 1.5 unit that has 2 supply cost is wrong. It's made the Roach extremely useless (especially in Zerg Versus Zerg matches). The Hydralisk costs 2 supply too and is much more flexible. So by the time you've upgraded your Roaches with the underground movement it would have been much more efficient to create Hydralisks as they can at least protect themselves against air and have the exact same supply cost. This buff has come with a slight nerf: they require 80 minerals instead of 75.

Corrupter:
Attack Change - 7 Attack Range (Originally 6 range)
Movement Change - Speed Increased to 3.2 (Originally 3.0)

The Corrupter is near to useless when compared with the other air units in the other races. It is out-ranged by Vikings and the same range as a Void Ray (Void Rays in the current build can kill Corrupters fairly quickly, even if the Corrupters outnumber them). They are only really useful against larger units. However, combined with their short range and slow speed, they can hardly even make it to the air units before it dies. Even while the Phoenix has less attack range, it can attack while moving and even lift up ground units and kill them. These changes have brought upon a slight buff and allows them to out-range Void Rays.

Overseer:
New Ability - Parasite is a new ability similar to the one the Queen had in Starcraft 1. The only difference is that the parasite will automatically die after 60 seconds (or as it originally did, when the host is killed).
Ability Change - (Changed to 100 energy) Contaminate now makes the Overseer latch onto the structure for ten seconds. If it is still successfully latched onto the structure for five seconds the structure will spawn an Infested Terran with no life duration (lasts forever). If the Overseer is killed the ability is cancelled. While it is latched onto the building, the opposing player cannot produce any upgrades or units from the building. Overseer can cancel the ability but still loses 100 energy. Only one structure can be targeted by Contaminate at a time.
Ability Removed - Spawn Infested Terran.

Scouting is extremely important in Starcraft 2; if you don't know what your opponent is doing you're most likely screwed. The Terran and Protoss races both have an easy way to scout the enemy by either Scanning with the Orbital Command or using invisible Observers. The Zerg, on the other hand, have absolutely no way to easily scout by tier 2. If your enemy player is anywhere from Silver league and above they can easily spot and kill a Changeling. The Overseer could scout itself but even with its speed increase you can't really make it into the base alive without it dieing. Overseers are fairly important to the Zerg and cost a lot too (200 minerals, 100 gas, and you also lose the extra Supply provided). My proposal is to give it parasite, an ability that you can run in, quickly cast, and move back to safety. The "Spawn Infested Terran" ability was absolutely useless and a waste of energy. I've given Contaminate a slight buff and nerf (requires the Overseer to stay near the structure, however, spawns a free Infested Terran after 5 seconds at which time you can pull your Overseer off).

Protoss:

Chrono Boost:
Energy Change - 35 Energy Cost (Originally 25 energy)
Duration Change - Lasts 25 seconds (Originally 20 seconds)

To me the Chrono Boost came way too early and you could boost your own Probe build times by 50% which would make Zealot rushes extremely effective. This slight buff/nerf balances this a bit.

Terran:

Marauder:
Attack Change - Attack Range decreased to 5 (Originally 6)

Marauders attack damage and attack speed is quite balanced, however it out-ranges Marines and only has a slightly higher cost than them. This small nerf should make Bio-balls less viable.

Raven:
Cost Change - 150 Minerals, 100 Vespene Gas (Originally 100 minerals 200 gas)

Let's face it, Ravens are the most useless Terran unit in its arsenal. The only ability that is half-decent is the point defense drone, but for its price it's hardly a viable build. Even its stealth detection isn't worth it because Orbital Commands can do the same thing for much lower price. This price decrease should make Ravens more useful.

Reactor:
Cost Change - 100 Minerals, 50 Vespene Gas (Originally 50 minerals 50 gas)

Terran are NOT supposed outnumber Zerg. Even in early game Terran players most of the time outnumber Zerg players. This slight nerf should make massing Marines less viable.

I'm not a perfect player, but these are my ideas because I think the current Zerg is incredibly weak. At times they can be fairly good against Protoss because Protoss to me is the most balanced race, however, Terran are just way too powerful. They can outnumber Zerg armies and have an extreme amount of splash damaging units. By restoring the Zergs ability to mass more units (like in Starcraft 1) and preventing the Terrans from outnumbering the Zerg with Bio-balls, the balance should be a lot better in Terran Versus Zerg.​

INCINERATE

Reaction score
i disagree with everything, all i see is somebody wanting buffs for his race while nerfing every other race.

If zerg is really that week, then why are all tournaments won by zerg and toss players?

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
i disagree with everything, all i see is somebody wanting buffs for his race while nerfing every other race.

If zerg is really that week, then why are all tournaments won by zerg and toss players?

Because maybe the player is not that great with Terran? I've seen plenty of Zerg players completely and utterly lose because their units simply don't have the fire-power to compete with the other races. Corrupters are useless and aren't even worth it at the moment (you're better off getting Mutalisks, which can both attack ground and air) and the same with the Roach because the Hydralisk is just that much better. Hydralisks change is more for it to be gas heavy rather than mineral heavy. Minerals should be for lower tier units in my opinion.

And how have I nerfed other races? Protoss get a slight nerf with their chrono boost (as you apparently said they are always winning in the tournaments, right?) but also a buff at the same time. Terran get their Raven as a much more viable unit (I've yet to see it used in ANY tournaments) and the reactor is always allowing the Terrans to outnumber Zerg players.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
A: We have several tools to measure race balance. The simplest is the win loss by race, factored by leagues. In Platinum and Gold leagues the numbers look like this.

Terrans vs. Protoss 46% - 54%
Protoss vs. Zerg 51% - 49%
Terrans vs. Zerg 51% - 49%

those numbers are from the blizzchat on april 30, so a month old, but zerg are the losers here

the main advantage the zerg have is that they can expand much faster - their expo costs 300 (no im not counting the $50 for the worker, because it can mine until you build it and pay for itself) - the zerg need to outmass by resources, since otherwise they WILL lose to the other races if they have the same amount of resources

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Because maybe the player is not that great with Terran? I've seen plenty of Zerg players completely and utterly lose because their units simply don't have the fire-power to compete with the other races. Corrupters are useless and aren't even worth it at the moment (you're better off getting Mutalisks, which can both attack ground and air) and the same with the Roach because the Hydralisk is just that much better. Hydralisks change is more for it to be gas heavy rather than mineral heavy. Minerals should be for lower tier units in my opinion.

And how have I nerfed other races? Protoss get a slight nerf with their chrono boost (as you apparently said they are always winning in the tournaments, right?) but also a buff at the same time. Terran get their Raven as a much more viable unit (I've yet to see it used in ANY tournaments) and the reactor is always allowing the Terrans to outnumber Zerg players.

Ravens are used lots in mid-late game. Since it works as Terrans only mobile detection. Wasting energy on scans is not as viable as using a raven. Point defense drone is like dark swarm from SC1 and it's really powerful if used correctly. Also, the reactor will not allow the terran to outnumber zerg players. At least not if the zerg is playing a macro game. Watch some of IdrA's games, he's a really solid Zerg player. He went 3-4 in HDH invitational against WhiteRa(Protoss).

I don't feel Zerg is that weak. I do agree that the roach nerf is a bit harsh. I feel they should add one armor or something.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you consider increasing vespene price and reducing mineral price as a buff. That's a completely negative thing to me... I always have much more minerals readily available than vespene, but maybe that's just me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.