My computer is 'grumbling'

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
My faithful and dedicated friend has recently become quite irrate and moody about certain tasks, making some irritating grumbles at the most inconvenient and worrisome times.

Basically, for the greater duration of the time, she is perfectly happy humming and whirring in unision with the fans. But at times she begins to 'grumble' **

** typed noise extract**
(normal)---> whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (im sure u know the white noise sound)

(grumble)--> rrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRwhhhhhhhhRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr

its very different from the normal revving that she does when she is working hard and it occurs at bizarre times. Sometimes when moderately busy, sometimes during a very minimal workload.

even worse but a certain 'trtrtr..trtrtrtrtr' (small rattle like) sound can alose be heard when she should be idling.

I have experienced no performance problems (that i can identify) and system scans seem to be working fine.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I think it's just your machine trying to load bits in your CD.

It happens with my mac:

normal: vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
loading disk: reeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAvrrrrrrrrrRRRR

nothing is happening on your computer so that just may be all it is.

Hope this helps.

~Jindo

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Gotta love Red Beard and his explanations.

SOmetimes it's becuase of dust in the machine. Try opening the box CAREFULLY and getting a very soft feather duster and dust out the nooks and crannys.

It can also be due to more activity on the computer. Try going to the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) and go to Processes. Then look for processes on your account (NOT system) that your not running. Close out everything besides the things your using and explorer.exe. If you happen to close out of explorer.exe by mistake, go to File->Run and type in 'explorer.exe' to reload it.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
SOmetimes it's becuase of dust in the machine. Try opening the box CAREFULLY and getting a very soft feather duster and dust out the nooks and crannys.

Take a trip to the store (best buy, circuit city) and get yourself a can of self propelled 'Dust-Off'.

Works great for 2 minutes. When the can gets too cold from decompression, it stops working. Run under warm water (WARM, NOT HOT) for 10 seconds, and its 100% again.

Air compresser? Sure. From a distance. NOTE, most compressors have air oil inside. Some have water from malfunction. Make sure yours doesnt.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Good idea, didn't think of that. Probably better than a duster since it's faster, better, and safer.

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
Gotta love Red Beard and his explanations.

Hahah....

what are ye trying to say here?

i figure the more 'eloquent' my description is the greater the chance that someone understands whats going on.......

(you should see me go to the doctor lol)

btw thx.

NOTE, most compressors have air oil inside. Some have water from malfunction. Make sure yours doesnt.

HAHAHA wouldn't that be dandy

thankyou

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
It could be that you have a bad power supply. If it is dust, you could get a compress air thing from Radio Shack for about $5-10, and clean it out with it.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
*rumble* *rumble*

Problem: my comp makes this really loud noise (and i think the fan on top counts for some of that)
Solution: i put things on it and they help to softer the noise

~:D

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I had a cdrom drive once that must have been poorly made.

It shook the whole case, with any CD.

(Thats cuz, the spindle assembly probobly somewhat off-center).

But if the CD's hole is slightly off center (doesn't happen too often) thats when they shatter cuz the CD can't take it.

My dell cd drive does it a little too.

My Lite-On is perfectly quiet. I dont even know its running.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.