My First Motorcycle

stubs101

Reaction score
I plan on getting a motorcycle, and this is kind of a big deal for me. Im looking for a few things to find out before and I've tried looking for them, however they seem to evade my search.

(1) - I heard a rumor from a friend that you can drive a motorcycle if you're 15, as long as you have someone riding with you, in a separate vehicle, over the age of 21. (I am 14 and I live in Illinois)
(2) -Whats better, a low cc engine, or a high cc engine?
(3) -Whats the best brand (In your opinion - so far I've heard of Triumph, Kawasaki (My favorite so far), Harley Davidson, Honda, and Yamaha)
(4) -Whats the average price range for a good motorcycle?
(5) -This will be my first bike, and I want to get a sports bike first, but I'm guessing this is less convenient than, say, a touring bike? Any suggestions there?
(6) -Any other miscellaneous suggestions, tips, hints, or other such relate-able experiences would be very much appreciated.

Also, put the number 1-6 in accordance with what question you are answering for convenience please? Thank you all very much, have a nice day :)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
(I don't ride motorcycles but this is info I've heard from friends/relatives who ride them. DDR will be able to correct my mistakes and give more info haha)

1. I dunno, I don't live in Illinois but that sounds pretty ridiculous.

2. High CC is more powerful, therefor will consume more gas, be heavier, and harder to maneuver if you're new.

3. Best brand from what I've heard is BMW but of course they are probably out of your price range.

4. I dunno. I'm thinking around $3,000 minimum. Depends on used or new.

For #1 http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/motorcycle-license.php look around there. I highly doubt they will let a 14 year old drive, and doubt 15 too. I sure as hell wouldn't live there.

stubs101

Reaction score
(1) - By friend i mean someone who has recently purchased a motorcycle - I really wanna believe him and he definately is in position to know something like that, so I'm just looking for a link that has a definate yes or no in it.
(2) - Low cc it is for me :)
(3) - Are you sure, from what I've heard, Crotch Rocket is the fastest bike out there, its a Kawasaki.
(4) - My friend bought a 2500$ brand new r6 and its a pretty good bike. A little less I'm guessing?

Thanks for the link by the way - I've actually been there while researching them :p

sqrage

Reaction score
3. Well there's more to it than speed. Quality of parts, efficiency, handling, durability. Stuff like that.

4. Yea could be, I'm from NYC and everything is more expensive than it should be here.

Btw the link says 16 for permit and license.

stubs101

Reaction score
I see the part with the teens 16-17 - it says apply for l license by following these steps. You can get a permit earlier I believe.

(3) - Of course, but, just saying.
(4) - ^^

sqrage

Reaction score
Yes, but the first step is getting your permit which is the 1st part of getting any license and that's still under 16 & 17 so it looks that way to me.

stubs101

Reaction score
Alright, give me a second to check it out.

edit
http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/teen-drivers.php

Scroll down until you hit the "Requirements by Age" You can do almost everything when you're 15, then when you hit 16, you take the 50 hour driving practice with a guardian, and then apply. :D)

edit
o_O shit I don't think it's for motorcycles at that point.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
itll probably be a good idea to drive a car first, i have no idea i dont drive motorcycles. But motorcycles are probably more difficult to drive than a car and itll be a good idea to go get some safety tips and whatever at the DMV

stubs101

Reaction score
I was planning on it, and I'm sure getting a car first is better, but I'm deadset on getting a motorcycle. I believe the word is infatuation. And I'm planning on getting the license :p and if i wanna get it as early as possible that involves going through a course.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
At least in California, no teens drive motorcycles because one, in order to drive with a permit, you need an adult with a driver's license to be with you (in the vehicle).

Also, before hitting the streets, or highways, test it out by yourself on parking lots and what not. Be ready to fall and get scratches on your bike (and you), so preferrably get a used and cheap bike, that runs at least. And with a helmet on, if you know how to drive (but you don't) safely and according to rules/laws, you shouldn't catch a cop's attention to pull you over.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
(1) - I heard a rumor from a friend that you can drive a motorcycle if you're 15, as long as you have someone riding with you, in a separate vehicle, over the age of 21. (I am 14 and I live in Illinois)
(2) -Whats better, a low cc engine, or a high cc engine?
(3) -Whats the best brand (In your opinion - so far I've heard of Triumph, Kawasaki (My favorite so far), Harley Davidson, Honda, and Yamaha)
(4) -Whats the average price range for a good motorcycle?
(5) -This will be my first bike, and I want to get a sports bike first, but I'm guessing this is less convenient than, say, a touring bike? Any suggestions there?
(6) -Any other miscellaneous suggestions, tips, hints, or other such relate-able experiences would be very much appreciated.

Also, put the number 1-6 in accordance with what question you are answering for convenience please? Thank you all very much, have a nice day :)

1. In California, you can legally drive a motorcycle at 15 with no one with you, however you can't drive on the freeway, at night, or with a passenger for the first 6 months. After that, you can do whatever you please.

2. LOW CC, I can NOT stress this enough! If you buy a high CC bike, even 600cc crotch rockets, you will have MUCH more power than you should for a first bike. With 1000cc+, even 600ccs if you don't know what you're doing, a simple flick of the wrist can put that bike on it's side, or even worse, on top of you from too much power.

3. For street use, it all depends on what you like and what is more comfortable. The ONLY time it matters on what brand is with track bikes or stunt bikes. And that is because certain bikes have different qualities for those things, like how most of us stunters ride 01 -03 Honda F4Is or 03-04 Kawi 636s. They're just strong and hold up better with abuse.

4. Depends, it all comes down to what you're looking for. These prices are all around here, mind you. If you want a new bike, you can get one for around $8k OTD. Used, around $4k - $6k OTD, or if you want a salvaged bike (they still run, most times look just like new(mines salvaged, and looks new), you can get one for like $2k). You just have to look around.

5. I bought a sport bike. I told myself "Oh, I'll never do anything stupid, it's not safe!". As soon as I learned how to ride it, that bitch was NEVER on 2 wheels! 3 years later, and I have over 25 tickets, most fix its, and am on driving probation with 7 points on my record. If you can't control it, and tend to get crazy on quads, dirtbikes, and stuff like that, go for something that can't do wheelies and stoppies and such.

6. Don't overdue it if you get one, don't rush it, don't ride over your level of experience. I'm one of the high-ups in the sportbike scene here in Bakersfield, and we have quite a big scene here, so I have to go to 3 or 4 funerals for fellow riders a year that get in wrecks, some times close friends. It is absolutely horrible to get calls of "Man, get down to the hospital, <name> just wrecked and is on life support!". Absolutely horrible...

And just so you know, I am a hardcore sportbike stunter, I own two bikes (but have 4 bikes in my garage), and my life and friends pretty much all have to do with sportbikes. I've been riding for almost 4 years now, since I turned 17, and am on forums for it a lot.

At least in California, no teens drive motorcycles because one, in order to drive with a permit, you need an adult with a driver's license to be with you (in the vehicle).

Also, before hitting the streets, or highways, test it out by yourself on parking lots and what not. Be ready to fall and get scratches on your bike (and you), so preferrably get a used and cheap bike, that runs at least. And with a helmet on, if you know how to drive (but you don't) safely and according to rules/laws, you shouldn't catch a cop's attention to pull you over.

You sir, are wrong. I've been riding sportbikes since the 3rd day I was 17, and you can get one at 15 or 15 1/2 (I don't remember exactly), you just have to take the CHP class first.
And yes, be prepared to crash/drop your bike. I dropped mine before I even drove it, and crashed it the 3rd day I had it. :p

itll probably be a good idea to drive a car first, i have no idea i dont drive motorcycles. But motorcycles are probably more difficult to drive than a car and itll be a good idea to go get some safety tips and whatever at the DMV

I could legally ride a bike before I could drive a car, I could ride a year before I could drive. And that all depends on who you're talking about. The learning curve for bikes is harder, but talk to anyone who rides around a LOT (Me and my buddies ride our streetbikes daily, and our stuntbikes at the lot weekly) and they could probably ride better than drive, and I could ride 50x better than I can drive. I can ride 75mph wheelies for miles, roll stoppies like 300ft, and slide around like crazy. You just have to get "Seat time" in on the bike, and not doing stupid stuff like that, just riding in general, and you'll learn fine.

Feel free to ask me for help with anything with finding a bike, I'm willing to help. I don't wanna see a new potential rider make any mistakes. :)
Heres my two bikes
15030_116306685050481_100000134518400_290722_3935005_n.jpg

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
DDR has spoken.

stubs101

Reaction score
You said specifically in California. I live in Illinois. I have tried to find that information everywhere but I couldn't. Could you check if the same applies to Illinois too?

4.) Don't bikes cost cheaper than cars?

6.) Do you regret anything?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I remembered that DDRtists jumped off a white motorcycle. Is it the one in the picture on page 1? It looks new, and there isn't any scratches, or is it blocked from view on the other side?

sqrage

Reaction score
I remembered that DDRtists jumped off a white motorcycle. Is it the one in the picture above? It looks new, and there isn't any scratches, or is it blocked from view on the other side?

You don't see the dents and electrical tape? :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
4.) Don't bikes cost cheaper than cars?

6.) Do you regret anything?

4. No. This is a VERY common thought about them, and it is COMPLETELY false. They are cheaper in terms of getting on yes, but 4x the price in upkeep. Like on mine, my tires last me about 3k - 4k miles (Mind you, I ride a lot, and very hard), and a rear costs about $180, and a front costs about $150. Brakes last about 3k miles, and are about $30 a set, and on my bike at least, the front has 2 sets of brakes to replace, making that $60 for the front, or $90 for a full brake replace. I have the hookups from my dealer, because we're friends (and I've spent well over $15k in his shop, lol) and hang out and what not, and I get track takeoff tire sets for $150 for both, slightly used. Thats why I don't mind riding hard.

6. Yes, not keeping the front wheel down. Stunting on the streets has got me in LOTS of trouble, and now that I know how to do it and it's so easy for me, it's really REALLY hard not to. It's just so easy, I just do it. I wish I would have picked better places to do said stunting in the past like I do now. Doing a 75mph standup wheelie in a 45mph zone in 5o'clock traffic isn't a smart place to do wheelies. :D

I remembered that DDRtists jumped off a white motorcycle. Is it the one in the picture on page 1? It looks new, and there isn't any scratches, or is it blocked from view on the other side?

Both my stunt bike and my street bike have stunt-cages, and sub-cages on them. This means that I can wreck it pretty hard, get up, pick it back up, and have little to no damage done to the bike. Scratches the cage, but thats no big deal. Those are cheap. :p

Heres the setup, second one shows the current damage. I looped a 75mph wheelie before I got the cage. It dented my tank, killed my fairings, bent my subframe, and bent my front rim.

img3918h.jpg

img3917ki.jpg

No, it doesn't scratch anything on the bike other than the cage. That is why on my stunt bike, the white one in the picture above, it has no front fairing. That is the one thing that normally breaks when you wreck, and thus, don't run them on stuntbikes.

And you're talking about this picture, right? Not really jumping off, more along the lines of getting ejected...

FannyShaver

Reaction score
Since you're pretty you are pretty young get yourself something to learn on. I am riding for seven years, as I started in the age of 16. Try in the beginning a max of 125cc - here's recommendation of Yamaha YBR 125. When you grow up get something bigger. Bikes aren't toys, keep that in mind when adrenaline comes up, as adrenaline makes people to end up on the wheelchairs - or worse...

Get some experience, and perhaps will ever ride a 400BHP monster ;D

dmc00246.jpg

dmc00247.jpg

dmc00249.jpg

dmc00248.jpg

http://forum.motocyklistow.pl/index.php?showtopic=132832&st=0

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.