haha, sorry seph :D

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
What's a Haiku? lol, seems like a poem, but not a poem :banghead:

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
In my own words, i'd say a Poem is an expression of emotion utilized in a structured flow.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
But does it have to be that, or is poem free for interpretation? What makes a poem a poem, and what makes a story a story? There are narrative poems, so you can not say that a story has a plot because that's not entirely true. Many poems have plots, settings, and characters too. Take epics for an instance. Yet it seems like most people agree that poems are for some reason shorter than stories. Why?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Asking what poetry means is like asking what life means, :) Obviously the answer is cake.

Verse 1:

I see you driving,
round town with the girl I love
and I'm like, haiku.

I guess the change in
my pocket wasn't enough,
and I'm like, haiku.

Nice, ha.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
But if you say that about poetry, then why couldn't you say the same for anything? Can I call a haiku a math?

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
The answer to everything.. is....
fourty two :)

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
But if you say that about poetry, then why couldn't you say the same for anything? Can I call a haiku a math?

You could if you wished, you manipulate words to fit the syllable count. 3 syllables + 2 syllables is 5 syllables.
Ultimately, you could perceive poems as anything. I could see it as a giant glass orb hanging over a cliff with a green light attached. The glass orb represents the pure emotion, the light shows it, whilst hanging over the cliff means its a dangerous/hard thing.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
I don't get why people always have to make special cases for these things... poetry is "jumbo you guys said" in literature. You can't just perceive poems as anything you want. That's unfair to everything else. How about math then? Or a car. Or a pencil. There's no clear definition for anything in the world. However, the general population sees it as something, and that's what it is.

o.o

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Hey ...

Hey guys ...

I didn't mean to start an argument :(

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
It's nice, and they almost started a [size=+2]debate[/size] here. That's cool and you should feel honoured, lol (Cause just 3 sentences can spark off a debate, that's new :D)

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Do you people not know what a haiku is? :p

Also, it's a reference to a song. If you don't get the haiku here, heh.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.