My Starcraft Lag Problem

K

kaiser_soze

Hey guys I really need help here! :)
So I had cable before on an IBM with Windows Me and my starcraft worked fine on that computer!
Now it's been about 9 months and i have a new computer now with windows XP and DSL now instead of cable, so everything on my computer is nice

I've had a router both times but I have a new one with this computer than i had before!

Why the hell am I lagging? I can only join 1v1s!
If I try and join any other game it counts down the 5 seconds and then waits a couple of seconds, then in game it lags bad!
plus messages I send can only be seen by the game hoster and I can only see his messages!

It's really quite a kunundrum!

PLEASE HELP :confused:

BrokenX

Reaction score
You could possibly have a firewall which disallows you to join certain games if that makes sense... change your settings on starcraft if you havn't already. Also I would recommend using ad-aware se professional, this will help clean out your computer, maybe causing bit less lag.

BrokenX

K

kaiser_soze

thanks

ya i've used ad-aware, i've defragmented my computer, i've allowed ports 4000 and 6112-6120 on my Norton internet security, and any game more than 2 players i can't join without making it lag!
I don't know the password to my router so I'm kind of screwed on that level!

(and how do I change settings in starcraft, it's not as easy as other games i play where there's a settings button!!) :p

-Thanks

BrokenX

Reaction score
Try going to ad-aware and use custom scan, set it so it doesn't skip files larger then 4000kb sometimes it misses alot of chucks, also norton make sure you update it sometimes it can be choppy as well scanning, I like ad-aware because you get to see what type of file it is, and the source of it, im not sure if the new nortan does that but yeah, I like to see whats going on. Maybe you have your computer settings set at lower gz lol. Not that it is but maybe the person set it wrong. I forget how to change it, I remember I thought I was pro lol changing stuff on comps lmao, and I made it high gz and my computer was so currupted so slow, sometimes it wouldn't even boot properly, so I had to format it I couldn't even change it back it was so laggy.

BrokenX

K

kaiser_soze

ya i have counter-strike and downloaded a couple things to overclock my vid card, and I changed all settings to max, got my fps from 60 to over 100, it's pretty sweet!
maybe this screwed up my sc?
doubtful..if i can play 1v1 fine though

D

daz59

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have the same problem, can only play 1v1 and can only see messages from the game host.

Darren

D

daz59

I thought I would also ad.

It has something to do with the ADSL modem, I have 3 computers in the house tried all 3 with different combinations of LAN and USB so it has something to do with NAT i think.

P

PwnThePanda

Instead of posting 2 times.... Edit your old post and add on what you wanted to say.

P.S. Welcome to the Forums :)

Negafox

Friend of TheHelper.net
Reaction score
StarCraft was released before broadband, firewalls, and routers became commonplace in the household, so it lacks custom network settings. Try uninstalling Norton Internet Security and see if this resolves the issue.

D

daz59

I fixed the problem, turned NAT off in the modem and had my router assign ip address to my computers.

R

roise_r

your ADSL modem supports NAT? hm... this is something new for me... so at one point you had NAT enabled on the ADSL modem, and on the router connected to the ADSL modem? double-NAT :)

R

roise_r

Ups! well just didn't notice the date... i guess it didn't hurt anyone, eh! :)

J

jonny''

help meee

Hey guys.. I know this topic is a year old but i am having the same problem... Im not the best with computers and would love it if you could post a real simple way of getting rid of the problem, say it in real fine detail so i know how to do these things like turn 'NAT' off and all this .. . .

Cheers Jonny! plzzz help soon as possible!!!

M

mrmatt

I am glad to see this one resurrected. I have had this problem on and off for years. I believe it has something to do with NAT. Linksys, Netgear, SMC, Belkin all the "Home" routers have worked fine for me. It is only when I switch to a higher-end firewall that I have had problems. I tried running a smoothwall several years ago with no luck. It worked great for everything BUT StarCraft. I recently picked up a Netscreen 5xt and have the exact same problem I did with the Smoothwall.

- I can join B.net Fine
- I create serious lag wenever more than 1 person is in a game
- other ppl (except game host) show 2 green lag indicators before the game starts
- When game starts lag is unbearable and I get disconnected sometimes

Here are things I have tried:

- Disable all software firewalls / anti-virus
- Opened suggested 4000, 6112 and several other ranges (both directions)
- Deleted bncache file
- Reinstalled SC
- Reboot everthing

It really is isolated to the firewall. Some just don't seem to work well with b.net. Surely a Netscreen is better than a Linksys...

Anyone have a similar experience / find any solutions.

Thanks,

Matt

S

SimonPierre

Starcraft lag problem

I have the exact same problem, I tried all the same things but nothin worked.

My Setup: two computers hooked to a MOTOROLLA ROUTER hooked to an ADSL MODEM

We need help!!

Thanks, Simon

W

warhog_x

All,

as mrmatt described so accuratly the problem I won't repeat it, since it was exactly the same here (for years). I also tried:
- virtual server
- port triggering
- dmz + firewall off
- different computer(s) with different hardware
nothing changed the behavior.

One thing did:
changed the router from
ASUS WL500g deluxe, firmware 1.9.5.0
to
netgear RP614v3, firmware 6.0

and it finally worked. Since I am no HW nor SW expert, I can not explain the reason why, but I am finally able to play with more then one player...

B

blindbird

installing uPnP, then enabling it in the router worked for me.

tho i heard that plug and play isnt very safe.

V

Voh

mmm.. so i've had this problem since i got my new computer.. i've tried reinstalling sc, connecting the cable straight from my cable modem, enabling UPnP, and turning off all firewalls/programs. Currently I use a WRT54G wireless - G Broadband Router but as I said already, I've tried connecting it straight from my cable modem but still the same results.

my system specs are:
HP AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 3800+
1 gb of ram
Radeon X 1600 Pro
Windows XP

if anyone has any other ideas i would be really thankful!

G

guillaume

Same problem here! I'm on a Siemens speed stream 6520. Starcraft was working properly before I got this router. I set up an ip static adress, and forwarded the ports 6112. Help?

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.