MySQL + Dreamweaver?

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm learning a bit of web stuff on the fly as I make something for my project, but I honestly have no clue how to connect my dreamweaver to a specific database I had set up. I've tried numerous times to no avail.
Can someone walk me through this? Starting from which free database website I should use to how I should connect to it?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Dreamweaver can connect to databases? wat
Is this database running on MySQL on your local machine or is it on a server somewhere?

Syndrome

Reaction score
http://geoffkflee.byethost4.com/utsctutoringsystem/retrievepassword.php

It sort of can, sort of.
I'm a complete wreck when it comes to MySQL and HTML and PHP, I learned it yesterday on the fly.

Can someone check the retrieve function on that page? It's something like this:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
function retrieve() {
<?php
$loginUsername = $_POST['studentnumber'];
$LoginRS__query = sprintf("SELECT studentnumber FROM userdata WHERE studentnumber=%s", GetSQLValueString($loginUsername, "text"));
mysql_select_db($database_MyConnection, $MyConnection);
$LoginRS=mysql_query($LoginRS__query, $MyConnection) or die(mysql_error());
document.myform.password.value = $LoginRS->password;
?>
}
</script>

I know I've done something terribly, terribly wrong somewhere. I just currently do not have the knowledge to see where.

EDIT: The database is on some site, byethost.com or something of the like. I managed to hack together a login and registration system that works, fortunately.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere where you actually connect to the MySQL database. Typically you need to start out with a mysql_connect() call and go from there.

Syndrome

Reaction score
Err... Right.
How do I go about doing this, exactly? lol.
EDIT: And thank you so much for looking into this. I've been trying to bruteforce my way through most of this >___>

EDIT2: added: <?php require_once('Connections/MyConnection.php'); ?> to the top of my page.
MyConnections.php:
Code:
<?php
# FileName="Connection_php_mysql.htm"
# Type="MYSQL"
# HTTP="true"
$hostname_MyConnection = "sql204.byethost4.com";
$database_MyConnection = "b4_11722572_utsctutoringsystem";
$username_MyConnection = "A USERNAME";
$password_MyConnection = "A SECRET";
$MyConnection = mysql_pconnect($hostname_MyConnection, $username_MyConnection, $password_MyConnection) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR);
?>

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
"I've been trying to bruteforce my way through most of this"

best way to learn. hands down

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I edited your username and password out of your script as anyone could see them ;)

Have you been able to connect to a database now?

Syndrome

Reaction score
I can register and what not, I've been hammering away at this for a long time now to no avail. I have a friend who's walking me through it, thankfully

EDIT:

I got it working sort of with post and a seperate php functoid page.
http://geoffkflee.byethost4.com/utsctutoringsystem/login.php
If you register an account and try recovering a password, you'll get your password back in a seperate practically blank page. Is there a way to have the function work within the retrievepassword.php instead of the retrievefunction.php so that I can just show the password in the textbox instead?

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
Two things:
1) "Unknown column 'tflan91' in 'where clause'"

It appears your code is wrong, I image you just need to move a few variables around in your query string.

2) Please research into SQL Injection; I can easily take control of your database with your code as-is

If you learn how to code correctly as your initially learning, you will save yourself MANY headaches as opposed to trying to re-train yourself

Ok, three things.

3) In-light of that last point, you should learn how to use the PDO library/extension (http://php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php)

PDO is just like the MySQL library you're using now, you probably didn't even know you were using the MySQL extension! Well it's all of those mysql_* functions you're using.

PDO just replaces those functions, has a few differences in its' syntax, but it is up-to-date, being actively developed, and unlike the years old MySQL php extension, has a 'mysql_query-like' function that has built-in SQL Injection protection! It's a win-win!

Good Luck!

PS: When I first started learning how to code, long ago, I used http://www.tizag.com/ as my first tutorial site, it's a little out-dated, basic and minimal, but I found it to be perfect! Not overwhelming, but a good first step

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.