Discussion Myth or Rumor: Eating a burger with everything separated is healthier than as a whole

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
(Note to Self: If one speaks out loud "...As a whole..." part very fast, I would love to see what happens next.)

images

Myth/Rumor:

When we eat a hamburger, such as the McDonald's famous burger, the Big Mac, eating it as a whole does taste great. But eating the same burger separately (First eat the top bun, then the lettuces, then the meat, then the cheese, etc., until you have reached your last bun) will be healthier than the former.

Basis:

Stomach acid can dissolve our food in the stomach, and create substances that our intestines can absorb for us to get energy. A whole burger can be dissolved in the stomach, but it has a tiny portion of the burger itself that can react to other parts of the burger. With the reaction involved, our body may absorb unnecessary substances along with others.

If we eat the burger pieces by pieces separately, chances are there won't be any reactions caused by the mixture of the food (When we chew foods, we mixed them up in our mouth). And, like eating a natural, healthy meal, our stomach acid slowly dissolves them, and we absorb them easily. Thus, we won't be able to absorb unnecessary stuffs, which is beneficial, and which is healthier.

So, is this true?

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
I guess, in theory, seperately your body can absorb the "nutrients" of each piece of the burger more effectively than it being chewed all together.

It's a pointless "debate" anyway, because whatever way you eat it, it's still unhealthy for you.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Well I think it depends on how fast you consume it, a regular sized burger takes about 3 seconds to get it all into my mouth :D

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Unless you wait for an extended period of time between each piece, it is all going to be mixed the second it reaches your stomach anyway. That's what the stomach does.

So even if parts of the burger did chemically react to form something that our bodies cannot use, but which is still somehow absorbed into our bloodstream, eating the pieces separately wouldn't help. (Though it would make you look like a damn fool o.o.)

It's possible eating a burger in pieces could prevent a chemical reaction that makes part of the burger unusable by our bodies, and thus makes the burger more nutritious. However, it is just as likely that eating the ingredients in chili or an omelet could make the chili or omelet more nutritious for the same reason. In fact, it is more likely, because the ingredients in chili and in omelets are mixed while they are still hot, whereas the ingredients in a burger are near room temperature (or even chilled, in the case of lettuce).

A detailed study would be extremely difficult, because each chemical (meaning every protein, carbohydrate, vitamin, and any contaminants (e.g. lactic acid)) in the burger would have to be extracted, separated, gathered in mass, and mixed at room temperature with all other contaminants in all possible combinations.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
If you eat your burger for six hours, then maybe it will make a difference.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
If you eat your burger for six hours, then maybe it will make a difference.

I agree.... I don't see how pulling it apart is going to make any difference if it all ends up in your stomach within the same time frame as it would just eating it whole.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I think it depends on how fast you consume it, a regular sized burger takes about 3 seconds to get it all into my mouth :D
How is that possible...o_O? Don't tell me, you mash them all up into a small 4 x 4 x 4 cubic centimeters cube, and then you swallow it whole. God...

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I eat pretty slow.
I absolutely hate people that eat super fast, it disgusts me.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
But that wouldn't last for around 6 hours, don't you think? Once that feeling had past, you'll think differently, which makes a huge difference.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
who says burgers are unhealthy - meat is a top five food, whether its from McDonalds or a grocery store isle - any bulkers best friend is a big ol burger

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
It does give the taste buds a refreshing massage...

I'm looking up for nerve cells and acupunture, seeing if taste buds affect our health...

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
The high school me at the time was wild, full of curiosity... How you find this...?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The high school me at the time was wild, full of curiosity... How you find this...?

I spend a little time each day viewing what the visitors on the site are looking at. Which posts are being looked at and I will click on it to check and see what the content of the post is and if it has any broken or hijacked links. These visitors are either bots or people coming from the search engines to random threads but I have been bumping the interesting stuff I have been seeing over the last few months.

So basically it is a post that I found that someone happened to be randomly looking at.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Now we have a forum we can talk about this stuff :)

I just want to know what happened Tom Mai? You used to ask the best questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.