N501 on its last legs

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I think my N501 is dying. It is not reading DVDs that well anymore. It may just need to be cleaned, but it has been my primary DVD player since they first came out so I have put it up to save any life it might have left in it. I still have not played any of the homebrew stuff with it and I still have not tested to see if it still works for games. I never did do the firmware upgrade on it so I have kind of dealt with the out of synch titles :) Still love that old player though.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man I can't believe you never did the firmware upgrade - that would have driven me nuts :banghead:

I made the RCA DRC480N my main DVD viewing machine and use the 501 almost exclusively for playing/testing homebrew stuff and commercial games. I've also got a second 501 from eBay that was slightly beat up for taking out to gaming shows, so at least I've got a backup.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know if it out or not as my new player seems to be having some troubles as well. I will probably move the new one out to the living room and setup the N501 in the bedroom for final check on Iron Soldier 3 to see if it still plays games.

Btw I just bought my kids a Gamecube and they already got like 7 Games, Pokemon Channel, Pokemon Colosseum, Kirby Air Ride, Mario Party 7, Super Smash Brothers, Luigi's Mansion and Sonic Heroes. The only one I play is the Pokemon Colosseum which has a kinda rpg behind it.

J

jimv

I hope your N501 is ok. I hate to here about dying Nuon players. Many N-D members, including myself, bought new N501's for $69 -$79 from Smartbargains.com back in Oct. 2002 so we would have new back up systems. Its hard to believe that it was over 3 years ago that there were close outs on these players as Nuon was on the way out. Back then $69.99 for a decent quality DVD player was super cheap. I think K3V bought one for his dad at that time?
Well, good luck, I hope all is ok Helper.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jimv said:
I hope your N501 is ok. I hate to here about dying Nuon players. Many N-D members, including myself, bought new N501's for $69 -$79 from Smartbargains.com back in Oct. 2002 so we would have new back up systems. Its hard to believe that it was over 3 years ago that there were close outs on these players as Nuon was on the way out. Back then $69.99 for a decent quality DVD player was super cheap. I think K3V bought one for his dad at that time?
Well, good luck, I hope all is ok Helper.

Yep, Dad got a 501 that year for Xmas. Always good to know there's another around if I need access to it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.