Nameless Piece

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Thought of it on the ride home, wrote it down immediately when I got back. This bit was written fairly spontaneously, so I myself am not entirely clear on the details. I figured there would be enough time to figure out the little things later and just wrote so as not to break my flow.

I'm probably going to pursue this further, it looks like it could be intriguing.

CnC please.
Thanks.

“It is a coward’s way to run,” the Prince scowled, striding with his long legs alongside his old friend and counselor, “I will not flee to save my skin.”

“Then will you flee to save your people?” the older man asked sharply, turning to stare at his young charge, all the while never breaking his stride. “You are being selfish. This is not about your pride or your honor.”

The Prince seemed to diminish at those words of reprimand, back into the boy he truly was. His shoulder slumped miserably, and he said, “I… I am sorry, my friend. I did not think.”

The older man’s glare softened, as did his voice, “It is I who must apologize, my prince. I spoke out of grief and anger. Forgive me. It is not your fault. You are too young.”

The two walked in silence then, until they reached the end of the hall, where stood an imposing door of heavy black oak, decorated with patterns both intricate and mysterious.

Far behind them they could hear the sound of clashing steel.

She saw them standing before the arch: Callum and the slim, graceful figure that she knew so well. “Brother, brother!”

And he turned, his expression twitching strangely as if he did not quite know how to react.

It did not matter. Tears flying from her face as she ran. She leapt into his arms and hugged him, tighter than she had ever done, so tight that she thought she might never let go.

She heard his breath, short and labored, and felt as he at last returned her gesture, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tight to his chest.

“My prince,” Callum spoke finally, his voice tender but pressing.

“I know,” she heard him reply in a voice sadder than she had ever heard him use, and then gently loosen her embrace.

“I must go, Naiya,” he said, his voice constricted.

Go? Go where? She looked up at him with bewildered eyes.

“Away,” her brother said, and then stopped, “The line of Eldaron must not fail.”

And in an instant she understood.

“No,” she whispered, disbelieving.

“I must,” was all he said.

The archway filled with energy.

“The portal is ready, my lord,” one of the magi reported.

The tumult outside was getting louder, they were almost to the dial

“No, no, no, no, no!” She cried, “Don’t leave me. Not now. Not now, brother. Not you too.”

He did not respond, only looked distantly into the swirling mass that was before him.

“Remember, my prince, stay safe. Kieran will find you when the time is right,” said Callum quickly.

Her brother nodded, once, and then bending, he gripped her shoulders with his hands and whispered, “Naiya… now I must go…” The doors, shut and barred by the soldiers behind them, began to rock. “But I swear, by the sun, the moon, and the stars, that I will return.” Booming. The door shattered, and the guards rushed forward to engage. “I will return.

“GO!” Callum shouted, drawing his own sword as the enemy poured into the room.

“I promise you.” And then he, her brother, and her only family left in the world, stepped out into the unknown.

The mist swallowed him, and within, he spun one last time to look into her eyes.

It tore his heart, to see her eyes, but he did not look away.

And then something else tore his heart, and as he fell, he heard his sister scream, and scream, and scream - a sound so terrible and so beautiful at the same time… and it followed him into the darkness…

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.