Weird National Park Service warns against sacrificing slower friends in bear attack, "even if friendship has run its course."

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few potential reactions to being attacked by a bear – stand your ground and attempt to scare it off, run away or perhaps curl up into the fetal position and hope for the best.

The US government has now, however, officially advised against the most cowardly option: pushing over a slower friend to save yourself.

The National Park Service has warned against sacrificing another person to an irate bear “even if you think the friendship has run its course” in a rather informal set of recommendations posted on Facebook.

Bear attacks are a rare but real threat in parts of the US, with a man recently videoing his own mangled hand and arm after encountering a grizzly bear in an abandoned shed in Montana. In a separate incident this week, wildlife officials in Alaska killed four bears suspected of involvement in the death of a man who was mauled while clearing a trail behind his property.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
FOUR bears? How badass was this guy that it took FOUR bears they had to kill?

Also if I can attest to the sideways thing. I think the idea is that coming more forward can be attributed to aggression and attack, and going back is a recognition of being a threat, where it's like I don't want to fight right now but would if I could. So still a threat. Whereas sideways is like I'll go ahead and leave you your due space.

If you're getting attacked by four bears though, idk gl. Apparently you'll be avenged.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am laughing my ass off going through these old posts. Four freaking bears FTW!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.