Need help - Linking Teleporters

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Alright, this may be confusing to some people, so I'll try to keep it as clear as possible.

Okay, in the game, there are 8 different bases with 8 different players. And inside these bases, there is a setting called "Base Control" and another setting that you can use that is called "Harvester Control" (Which is used for resources".

Now, the harvester control is a teleporter and may only be used after controlling a base.

Once you enter the "harvester control", you will be randomly teleported to one of EIGHT (8) "harvester areas". Now, that's not too hard to code, but the problem I am having is actually LINKING these teleporters with eachother.

What I mean by linking, is that when the unit enters the "Harvester control" he will be assigned already to that random "harvester area" that he had entered previously, and then can enter as many of his units inside that area.

Now, if this doesn't make enough sense already, please do not continue reading because it gets more complicated.

This is supposed to work for 8 different players and 8 different bases that are controlled by these players. They all have the ability to close/open their "harvester area" or "bases" from other players.

The other problem that I have, is that I want to make it so that when you enter a different player's "harvester control" (which is the teleporter you take to get to the "harvester area") you will be taken to THEIR "harvester area" and not your own.

So basically, you can only access your "harvester area" by entering the "harvester control" (teleporter) inside your own base and then can access other player's by going to their teleporter.

If that makes sense to you, I have been trying a LOT of different ways for this to work, and it all seems to just mess up for me.

So if you guys can help me, please reply. If you need me to post any code (in this case it is used in GUI), please do.

I have all the variables ready, and I'm trying to assign these teleporters (or trying to link them) using grouping variables.

LordXavier

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
so when a unit enters "harvester control" it teleports the unit randomly to one of the eight "harvester areas" and the any time later in the game when another unit from that player enters "harvester control" you want them to go to the same "harvester area"?

Welcome to TheHelper!

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct.

Thanks for the welcome

EDIT:

there's also the Opening/closing of the teleporter, so if the user doesn't want other players going inside, it would prevent them from going in the teleporter.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Are the teleporters gateways? Sorry I didn't read your entire post and i'm just coming to a conclusion.

If they are then there should be a trigger somewhere in the game class of triggers. If not try double clicking on the unit itself and see if there is an option like that.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Are the teleporters gateways? Sorry I didn't read your entire post and i'm just coming to a conclusion.

If they are then there should be a trigger somewhere in the game class of triggers. If not try double clicking on the unit itself and see if there is an option like that.

sadly, they are not gateways.

I use the Harvester Control building as the teleporter (it is a circle of power), so you just go on top of it and then the triggers come into play.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
EDIT: LordXavier has the exact idea, that is the kind of trigger I'm looking for, and have tried making.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Just change the Gateway's model to circle of power?

Yes, but the circle of power is a building, meaning it is used for certain things.

Don't think a gateway can do that :p

EDIT: don't have WC, so if it could be used as a building, then that's great.

WilliamPa

Reaction score
I think we'd need more information of how the bases work, since it takes some information to confirm when to do the resource place selection, when the base is empty, etc.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I think we'd need more information of how the bases work, since it takes some information to confirm when to do the resource place selection, when the base is empty, etc.

Alright, well I'll give you the information:

-Game starts, bases are empty and not controlled.
-A Player enters a base, and all variables/triggers come into play and are set. Note that the resource teleporter has not come into effect yet.
-The player now has control of two buildings, one called "Base Control" and one called "Harvester Control"
The base control has several options:
1) Open Base
2) Close Base
3) Abandon Base
The harvester control has some options too:
1) First you need to know that the only way to get your harvester area in the first place is to go on top of your harvester control building (which would then teleport you to the harvester area).
2) Anyways, here are the options. One of them is Open Harvester Area (to let other player's harvesters in yours).
3) Another is Close Harvester area (which keeps other player's harvesters out).
4) And finally trading your harvester area, which is a whole different problem I will have after I link these teleporters.

If you abandon the base, it is up for grabs to other players, but the the player who abandoned it in the first place, would no longer be able to get a base, and will have to enter a teammate's base.

All I need though, is a trigger for linking the Harvester Control teleporter and the Harvester Area teleporter.

Here is one of the several attempts I've made at getting this to work.
-You enter the Harvester Control (lets use HC as harvester control), then a trigger comes into play that first checks if you actually own a base, and if you do you are randomly teleported to one of the eight Harvester areas (HA).
-The HA teleporters are in unit groups when the game starts, and are taken out of that unit group once someone enters the HA teleporter's region, and the owner of the unit that enters the region will then take that HA teleporter and have it in their unit group.
-Then any time later in the game you enter the HC, it will use a trigger kind've like this:
Event - a unit enters HC region
Conditions - Owner of unit = to (owner of base) (also condition checking if the HC is open or closed if you don't own the base)
Actions - It teleports you to a random unit in the (HA unit group that was set when you entered the HA area in the first place). And there is only one unit in that group, so it just teleports you to the HA you own.

This probably makes no sense, because I can't post the triggers currently. So i will try to do that when I get home. But hopefully this gives you a sense.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I still need help, this has always bothered me, I just gotta figure this trigger out.. thanks for any reply!

jackall

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
can you shortly explain what you want? im too damn lazy to read whats posted above :p

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
can you shortly explain what you want? im too damn lazy to read whats posted above :p

Yes

In my game there is a teleporter building that you can enter, and then would teleport you to one of eight Resource areas.

NOTE: There are 8 players using these.

Once you enter the resource area, it is taken off the list for others to get into that resource area.

Players also have the ability to open or close their teleporter buildings to prevent access from other players that want to get into your resource area.

Basically, I just need a trigger that can do the following:
A) Recognize whether or not you own the teleporter building
B) Know whether or not it's open/closed if you're not the owner of the building
C) And finally actually linking the teleporters together. Which would be like this: When a unit enters "teleporter building" it teleports the unit randomly to one of the eight "resource areas" and then any time later in the game when another unit from that player enters "teleporter building" I want them to go to the same "resource area"

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Basically, I just need a trigger that can do the following:
A) Recognize whether or not you own the teleporter building
B) Know whether or not it's open/closed if you're not the owner of the building
C) And finally actually linking the teleporters together. Which would be like this: When a unit enters "teleporter building" it teleports the unit randomly to one of the eight "resource areas" and then any time later in the game when another unit from that player enters "teleporter building" I want them to go to the same "resource area"

This is simple GUi.

Im promising everyone this, but I'll do it in the morning.

It'd be helpful if you sent me your map, I don't want to make Variable names up and crap.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
>It'd be helpful if you sent me your map, I don't want to make Variable names up and crap.

k, will send it to you later today.

EDIT: The map has TONSSSS of variables and it would be very hard for someone else to understand besides me.
I think I'll be able to understand your variables.. make a demo map or something if you could.
I'd say I have like 70-100 variables because I fail.

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
another bump for waiting so long for a valid reply :confused: :(

I'm hoping what i've posted in this thread is enough information lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.