Need help: Spell targeting ONLY neutral units?

Raven1

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently fooled around with a dota-template map, and made several fun heroes in it.
However, the one which I'm making currently is not as easy as the others.
This hero would be a special kind of "jungler" (good at killing neutral creeps), and i'd like to give a spell to him which, after some long casting time, kills ONLY neutral creeps in a nearby (or targeted) area very quickly. My first two attempts were creating the ability from Lich's Death and Decay, which damages units by HP percentage, then, when this didn't work, I tried it with Starfall, with 2000 damage per interval.

Now, the problem is: whenever i choose this in the "targets allowed" section: Neutral, Ground, Air, Non-hero, it doesn't do any damage to the neutral creeps. However, when I set it to Neutral, Ground, Enemy, Air, Non-Hero, it does, BUT it also works against normal creeps (as it's a DotA-style map, so i mean Scourge and Sentinel creeps).

Can anyone please tell me how to get any ability to properly target only neutral creeps and nothing else?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
You have to do it with trigger then, since "Neutral" in "Target Allowed" was meant to be "Neutral Passive"...
This one can be used for example...
Trigger:
  • neutral killing spell
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to AwesomeCreepKiller
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within AwesomeRange of (Position of (Triggering unit)) matching ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Equal to Neutral Hostile)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Picked unit)) using AwesomeSpecialEffect.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
          • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Picked unit), dealing Awesome damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

The spell above will deals damage to nearby neutral creeps, and damage only last once, if you want to damaging it couple of times, you had to add more triggers...
you can set the AwesomeCreepKiller: to name of the ability, AwesomeRange: to distance between the caster and target, and Awesome: to the damage that will be dealt to the Neutral Creeps...

Reaction score
Dang, forgot to mention this:
You have to set the Unit Group first (before Pick Every Unit...):
Trigger:
  • Set AwesomeGroup = (Units within AwesomeRange of (Position of (Triggering unit)) matching ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Equal to Neutral Hostile))

Then clean it up to avoid leaks:
Trigger:
  • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_AwesomeGroup)

Raven1

Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering why did it not work for the first time, but it's working now. :) Really thanks though, I couldn't simply make the spell work after thinking for days before you told me. Very much appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.