Need help with tile movement system

Venv

Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if anyone could help me with this, i've been trying to create a tile movement system. it selects the hero of the player and shows the number of tiles that it can move to based on certain things. someone told me i could use unit groups by using a dummy model and changing it to the tile i wanted then displaying it. i have tried doing option A and when i launch the game it doesnt display the model only a shadow. Option b was to use SFX i have tried that but the problem is i dont know how to approach it from there either.

i want to be able to detect where the hero is at its current location and then based on X amount of stats it displays a movement tiles then i will be able to select the tiles or right click on it in order to move to it. sorry i just havent been able to get it to work

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
To be clear. A movement system like the one in Heroes of Might and Magic, yes?

Venv

Reaction score
or, Final Fantasy Advance Tatics(FFAT), Eador, Final Fantasy Advance Tatics War of The lions. but yes

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious about this so I gave it a shot and created a tile based movement and attack system.
The system itself is about complete, but of course there is no real gameplay around it.

Making actual gameplay and an AI for enemies is now up to you.
The triggers are commentated and variables have meaningful names. I believe you should be able to work with this template.

Attachments

• TileMovement.w3x
    18.7 KB · Views: 334

Venv

Reaction score
thank you so much, ill definitely look over this you even included comments which i very well needed! thank you!! i have an idea of how to make the combat system but thank you man :D

On somethings as the custom scripts i was wondering what certain things mean/do

such as run location to point (ignore conditions)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I made several triggers there, some are simple triggers with only a few lines of code. I force these triggers to run from inside other triggers.
I do this to simplify things and to make the code more readable. It also helps against copy-and-paste errors.

The trigger LocationToPoint assumes that the location variable TmpPnt is set to a location, if it is the variables PointX and PointY will be set to the coordinates of the TmpPnt location.

There are many other triggers like this. They are just for convenience.

Venv

Reaction score
could you explain the bits of code so i can understand them sorry, im trying to understand them but ineed to understand it more so i can actually utilize the template

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly do you have problems with? The triggers are fairly simple and not too long.

Venv

Reaction score
tile to grid id i tried to find it and i couldnt find the variable, and really the whole thing ._.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres the variables TileX and TileY. These are supposed to only contain values of the coordinates of a tile within the tilemap.
If TileX and TileY are correctly set up, and you let the Trigger TileToGridID run, then the variable GridID will be set to the index of the tile which is pointed at by TileX and TileY.
GridID can then be used to find out what kind of unit is placed on the tile in question, and to whom it belongs. You can also use it to get the CircleOfPower which represents the tile graphically.

These methods are all just simply convertion methods used to make working with the system a little bit easier.

Venv

Reaction score
how do you evn find the varibles because i cant create them im not sure how you found them

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then I think you should not ask how to create a tile based movement system and rather learn the basics of triggering first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.