Need some Information about Attack, Damage and Weapon Types and thier properties.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
Ok....i am working on a damage system and i plan to detect the damage type of the damage.

So...here are the facts that i need :-
1:- Difference between Spells Attack and Magic Attack and their effect on hero armor and etheral armor.

2:- Whats the deal with Divine Attack Type?

3:- Are all Damage Types the same?

I know:-
a:Universal ignores the armor reduction.
b:Normal Damage is physical and makes the damage liable to be readuced by armor.
Am i wrong?

4:- Are Spell Immunity and Magic Resistance the same? Do they take the same damage?

5:- Whats the deal with weapon type? produces sound or something?

Also if anyone could post a list of all these with their properties and damage ratios...it would be appreciated and repped.

Fluffball

Reaction score
1:- Difference between Spells Attack and Magic Attack and their effect on hero armor and etheral armor.
Spells and Magic do reduced damage to Hero armor and Increased damage to ethereal armor and are not reduced by armor

2:- Whats the deal with Divine Attack Type?
Divine (or Chaos) damage type does 100% damage to all armor types but is reduced by armor.

3:- Are all Damage Types the same?
No, why would they make more than one, if they didn't have to? Different attacktypes do different damage to different armor types ( EG, Siege does 150% (I think) damage to buildings, whereas normal only does 50% (I think) damage to buildings (Fortified)

4:- Are Spell Immunity and Magic Resistance the same? Do they take the same damage?

Spell resistance disallows some spells to be cast, and reduces the effect of some. Whereas magic immunity disallows all spells (Including positive)

5:- Whats the deal with weapon type? produces sound or something?
Yes, it does produce different sounds, depending on the armor and weapon type.

Universal does do damage unhindered by armor

Normal Damage is physical and makes the damage liable to be readuced by armor.
Am i wrong?

No, you aren't

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
You can edit what kind of effect that different damage types have on specific types of armors in the gameplay constants. I took a screenie that explains it better then a couple of paragraphs -

View attachment 25747

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
No, why would they make more than one, if they didn't have to? Different attacktypes do different damage to different armor types ( EG, Siege does 150% (I think) damage to buildings, whereas normal only does 50% (I think) damage to buildings (Fortified)

Damage types are the ones used specifically in Trigger Editor (e.g. Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid, Death, Demolition) - most of those don't do anything (only one I know for sure is Acid, which ignores the damage reduction from armor, if the target can be damaged i.e. they aren't immune to the damage for any particular reason)

AFAIK, Universal damage ignores everything bar Invulnerability (can't remember if it ignores Magic Immunity when used with Magic attack type)

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> Ok....i am working on a damage system and i plan to detect the damage type of the damage.

You can't. Unless you use custom damage and attack types.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
The real motive of this system (if possible - havent tested though) will be to have more variety in damages.....
Remember the first time you played element TD and you didnt know much about WE?
Some really good stuff can come out of this one, like necromancers dealing Death type damage...etc
So actually...it will involve 2 triggers,a damage dealing function and a damage detection trigger and a counter on all units.
All triggered damage will be dealt through this system...so that the damage detection trigger will know which unit dealt which type of damage......thus no need to keep a record of stuff.
And there will be a counter of all the Damage instances that a unit is dealing.
So, in normal Warcraft, a damage is like a car that hits and runs over a unit.
The unit wont know what hit him.
But over here, we are sending the car and we know what will hit the unit.

Btw, my main query remains unanswered.....i think the damage types are different.
may be fire is used in dealing damage related to fire element spells and ice in different ice related....
I am not sure how they interact....will ice deal extra damage to a frozen unit?
I think i'll experiment a little on this.
If any one knows anything more do let me know....btw thx flare abt the acid thing....
I wonder why they used Divine,Enhanced and Demolition damage types in dota....

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
> Ok....i am working on a damage system and i plan to detect the damage type of the damage.

You can't. Unless you use custom damage and attack types.

It's perfectly possible, you don't need to use custom damage/attack types - the only limitation is that you can't detect the damage/attack types of non-triggered damage

Btw, my main query remains unanswered.....i think the damage types are different.
I think there are only a few damage types which serve a purpose (Universal and Acid are the only ones that I kind-of know what they do, there was a thread over at the DotA forum about what Pure damage does if you want to try and find it :p)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.