Need some writing help

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Wisdom has its own reward. It makes you look and act really intelligent. In the explanation from Plato on “The Apology”, he explains that wisdom can be a good thing and a bad thing. Socrates was in a trial for speaking his own mind, and was accused for atheism. Even though Socrates was condemned; irony, he thinks he got his own reward from his wisdom. Socrates was a wise man, due to his actions and words. Socrates was a wise man.​

Socrates said he is different from the average man, although he uses clear and understandable vocabulary. In the story Socrates uses his normal and regular language. ‘’Well then, I must make my defense and endeavor to clear away in a short time.”(403) Wise people do not speak in big and problematic words, but in the regular communication language, like how Socrates did. Socrates explained to everyone that he was very wise; also, he told them that people claimed him to be wiser then he was. ‘’I believe myself to differ from men in general, and may perhaps claim to be wiser than they are.”(409) Socrates was trying to tell the jury that he wasn’t wise, but was above average in other people’s view. Socrates was a wise man by making himself sound and look unwise to the jury, and by manipulating his words to make him sound normal and understandable.​
Wisdom comes in many different ways. Socrates used his vocabulary and reasons to express his wisdom. Socrates was a wise man; although, he was condemned to death he thought us a valuable lesson, wisdom can be used to educate people and it can be also used in ways to get you killed.​

Ok this is my introduction essay for "The Apology"

Its been like 2 years since I had to do this :eek: can you help me with :

1. Is it the right format?
2. Is everything spelled right
3. Is it using all the rules*

You needed to read the "The Apology" to understand this.

Any addons will be gladly apreciated. :)

God I hate writting essays :banghead:

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Even though Socrates was condemned;

Then what?
You can't just cut off a sentence in the middle, and hope we guess the rest.

> he thought us a valuable lesson

Taught.

I would also suggest to replace "wise" every now and then with something else.
"S. was a wise man" seems to be your favorite.

The world has clearly changed since Socrates' times...

Q: Are you insane?
A: Alas, that comfort is denied me.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
Orc_Tamer said:
Wisdom has its own reward. It makes you look and act really intelligent. In the explanation from Plato on “The Apology”, he explains that wisdom can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. Socrates was in a trial for speaking his own mind, and was accused for atheism. Even though Socrates was condemned; irony, he thinks he got his own reward from his wisdom. Socrates was a wise man, due to his actions and words. Socrates was a wise man.<---DO NOT repeat

Socrates said he is different from the average man, although he uses clear and understandable vocabulary. In the story Socrates uses his normal and regular language<---it prenches with the other one. ‘’Well then, I must make my defense and endeavor to clear away in a short time.”(403) Wise people do not speak in big and problematic words, but in the regular communication language, just like Socrates did. Socrates explained to everyone that he was very wise;<---Socrates lacked arrogance also, he told them that people claimed him to be wiser then he was. ‘’I believe myself to differ from men in general, and may perhaps claim to be wiser than they are.”(409) Socrates was trying to tell the jury that he wasn’t wise, but was above average in other people’s view. Socrates was a wise man by making himself sound and look unwise to the jury, and by manipulating his words to make him sound normal and understandable.​
Wisdom may come in many different ways. Socrates used his vocabulary and reasons to express his wisdom. Socrates was a wise man;<---repeat again? although, he was condemned to death he thought us a valuable lesson, wisdom can be used to educate people and it can be also used in ways to get you killed.​

Ok this is my introduction essay for "The Apology" ]

Orc_Tamer said:
[Its been like 2 years since I had to do this :eek: can you help me with :

1. Is it the right format?
2. Is everything spelled right
3. Is it using all the rules*

You needed to read the "The Apology" to understand this.
Since I come from Greece, Socrates birthplace, I might help :p
Orc_Tamer said:
[Any addons will be gladly apreciated. :)

God I hate writting essays :banghead:
Ok, I'd say above what I think

Also, I'd say you use formality in essays :p

ReVolver

Reaction score
Thanks Acehart and NiKaNoRoU_GR :) My essay looks alot better. :cool:

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
What does it look like now? I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with it, because something about it just doesn't seem right at all....

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
you can also add this:
Sokrates's wisdom elaborated his true confidence about language, enabling him to hone his lecturing skills.He once said, that when your speech activates, you must pass it through 3 stages:
1.If the time to say this is mostly correct
2.If the person addressing the sentence is mostly correct
3.If the sentence is beneficial and correct

gl with the essay ;)

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Wisdom has its own reward. It makes you look and act really //Remove really, it just makes you sound bad// intelligent. In the explanation from Plato on “The Apology”, he explains //Repetition of explains sounds awkward// that wisdom can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. Socrates was in a trial for speaking his own mind, and was accused of atheism. Even though Socrates was condemned;//What??// irony, he thinks he got his own reward from his wisdom. Socrates was a wise man, due to his actions and words. Socrates was a wise man. //Repeat//
Socrates said he is different from the average man, although he uses clear and understandable vocabulary, because this is his normal and regular language. ‘’Well then, I must make my defense and endeavor to clear away in a short time”(403).//Period goes after the Page number// Wise people do not speak in big and problematic words, but in the regular communication language, just as Socrates did. Socrates claimed he was very wise, even though people claimed him to be wiser then he was. ‘’I believe myself to differ from men in general, and may perhaps claim to be wiser than they are.”(409) Socrates was trying to tell the jury that in other people’s view, he wasn’t wise, but above average. Socrates was a wise man by making himself sound and look unwise to the jury, and by manipulating his words to make him sound normal and understandable.
Wisdom comes in many different ways. Socrates used his vocabulary and reasons to express his wisdom. Socrates was a wise man, although he was condemned to death. He taught us the lesson that wisdom is very powerful, and can be used to educate people or get you killed.​

Here's my revised edit. It may have some stuff that everyone else already said, but I saw some things that they missed. :)

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Heheh, and now through Darthfett's fixes, I begin to wonder....

What is the meaning of this essay? Were you in charge of the meaning or was someone else?

Because, I guess it's just my opinion here, but the meaning seems to be incredibly weak. "Wisdom can either be used to educate people or get you killed."

But, I guess that's because I have my own thought on the matter:

Wisdom != knowledge. Knowledge is simple knowing of what happens around you, and it can be used to educate people or simply ignored. Wisdom is applying truth as known, without questioning this truth (if it is truly truth), and -perhaps- using one's knowledge to educate people as one of the applications of the truth. If you are truly wise, the result is -not- death or the enlightenment of others, but rather that you yourself are at peace when your life ends. However, in the time of Socrates, wisdom would lead to death, because everyone at the time were very erroneous in their expectation of what truth was.

AceHart

Reaction score
[half-way off topic]

> everyone at the time were very erroneous in their expectation of what truth was.

This is an eternal truth.

> If you are truly wise...

...you know when to shut up.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Why would you shut up, if people are blanketing the truth? The fact that they'd guard it by killing you is a sure sign the truth your seeking -could- be more correct than their interpretation of truth.

It is funny though. Our time is very similar to Socrates (I suppose that's what you mean by an "eternal truth"). We just have a new theory in place of an old one. Still misinterpreted, and there are still those who claim that their thoughts of the truth are the right ones and thus kill you for it. See "Terrorists" :p

Either way, I wish Orc_Tamer would reply eventually, because I want to know how he formulated this essay.

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
NiKaNoRoU_GR said:
you can also add this:
Sokrates's wisdom elaborated his true confidence about language, enabling him to hone his lecturing skills.He once said, that when your speech activates, you must pass it through 3 stages:
1.If the time to say this is mostly correct
2.If the person addressing the sentence is mostly correct
3.If the sentence is beneficial and correct

gl with the essay ;)
I'd say this are the wisest words of Sokrates :)

AceHart

Reaction score
> Why would you shut up ... a sure sign

A rather sure sign it's time to is when people around you start looking for the nearest pile of easily inflammable stuff.
Currently, I would be looking at Darthfett for getting Rinpun started yet again on another campaign for The One Truest Truth(tm).

Theories, especially new ones, are rarely benefical for the one that discovered them.
Insisting on them just calls for pitchforks.

Killing the messenger is, after all, very simple. Quick too.
It doesn't solve the "problem" of an idea whose time has come, but it might just delay it "enough"...

You can not just look at the world, without seeing it.
You'll miss half of it.
You can not just listen to the world, without hearing it.
You'll miss half of it.

You have to experience the world.
Only then can you fail.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
AceHart said:
A rather sure sign it's time to is when people around you start looking for the nearest pile of easily inflammable stuff.
Currently, I would be looking at Darthfett for getting Rinpun started yet again on another campaign for The One Truest Truth(tm).
Am I known for something? :rolleyes:

And yes, I think I will. :)

When I get home, since I have to go. :(

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Try to use less repetition, it makes you want to stop reading. Otherwise, it's ok, I don't have much of a hand with essay stuff, I mostly deal with Fantasy/Fiction/Sci Fi.

ReVolver

Reaction score
Wow... I turn this like 2 days after I posted this! :eek: So many arguements for an essay I didn't put as much time in it. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.