Need to disable drag select rectangle

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
In sc2, when holding the mouse button and dragging, a selection rectangle is shown. Is there any way to hide/remove/disable this behavior?

I just want to be able to hold down the mouse button without anything being drawn to the screen. If I can disable drag select altogether, then all the better.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Try holding in ctrl, alt or shift while dragging. Perhaps they have though of this.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I tried what you said. ctrl + alt + drag will prevent the drag select from showing.
However, I don't see how this helps me. In the map I'm making it won't be possible to select any units. Holding the mouse button will be used for casting abilities.

It would be preferable if I can disable drag selecting somehow, but if it's not, I guess I will look into replacing the graphics to make it invisible. Maybe that can work.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
In the Data Editor, under Game UI Data there is Default SC2 UI Settings. I would say that what you are after would most likely be there but I took a brief look through and wasn't able to find anything.

Actually, in the SC2 campaign, do they hide the drag box in the bits between missions? If so then you could take a look at that and see how they did it.

EDIT: My suspicion was correct. They did hide the drag box in the SC2 campaign. At least you know that it is possible to do.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
EDIT: My suspicion was correct. They did hide the drag box in the SC2 campaign. At least you know that it is possible to do.

That's excellent news! I'll post my findings here if/when I figure out how they did it.

Edit: By the way, in which map did you see they removed the selection box?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Ok, I've found it. I can open it, but can't seem to modify it though, so it'll be tough finding exactly where they disable the selection box :/

Arkless

Reaction score
Ok, I've found it. I can open it, but can't seem to modify it though, so it'll be tough finding exactly where they disable the selection box :/

Just save it (via save as) and you will be able to modify, just not the original file :)

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I did save it elsewhere, and were still not able to modify anything. Oh well, maybe I did something wrong.

So far I haven't found anything resembling what I'm looking for. The map uses some story mode triggers that can only be used in blizzard maps. If disabling the selection box is within one of them, I'll be out of luck. Tomorrow I'll try more.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
If you could remove the marker effect I guess you could create a trigger to always select your hero when the event Selected Unit is run.

Perhaps you can do a RGB (0, 0, 0) somewhere to make it invisibile? Maybe it just turns black though.
And if you're lucky there might be a alpha or ocapacity option for it.

I* can't help with more then assumptions since I'm at work.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
Camera - Lock camera mouse relative mode On for player (Triggering player)
Camera - Lock camera mouse relative mode Off for player (Triggering player)

have both in a trigger with a mouse click event.

Arkless

Reaction score
I did save it elsewhere, and were still not able to modify anything. Oh well, maybe I did something wrong.

So far I haven't found anything resembling what I'm looking for. The map uses some story mode triggers that can only be used in blizzard maps. If disabling the selection box is within one of them, I'll be out of luck. Tomorrow I'll try more.

I just tried it, it works (tried with 3 different missions, just to make sure).

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I just tried it, it works (tried with 3 different missions, just to make sure).

Can you walk me through how you made TStory01.SC2Map editable? Other maps are editable, but not this one. When I try to save a copy of the map, it's just as uneditable as the original.

Edit: In the trigger editor New (trigger, function, etc) is grayed out. Some other stuff can be edited. Deletion works. Modifying existing lines seem to work.

Edit2: I'm tired of searching. There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the story map.

Camera - Lock camera mouse relative mode On for player (Triggering player)
Camera - Lock camera mouse relative mode Off for player (Triggering player)

have both in a trigger with a mouse click event.
This works quite well. Thanks s3rius!

The selection box will still sometimes show if you click and drag very fast, so if anyone have a way of removing the box entirely, I'd still be very interested. For now though, I'm content.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.