Needed help with sc2 editor : Baneling suicide

Srajan

Reaction score
Hey! I have basic knowledge of sc2 editor.
I just wanna make a map in which the banelings dont die on explosion!

like this :

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
There are three things which activate the baneling explosion:
* The baneling attacking(weapon)
* The baneling explode ability(ability)
* The baneling's death response(behavior).

Here's how you do it:

Fortunately for you, all of these use the same effect so you just have to modify that single effect and it should work.

Open up the data editor, press the plus sign and open the Effects tab. Find the effect called "Baneling - Volatile Burst (Set)". Open the field called: "(Basic) Effect: Effects +". At the top there will be a list of effects:

* Baneling - Suicide (Remove Buff)
* Baneling - Suicide (Target Friendly Switch)
* Baneling - Volatile Burst (Building Damage)
* Baneling - Volatile Burst (Unit Damage)
* Suicide.

Select Suicide and right-click it and press delete. Press okay to close the effects window.

That should be all.

TL;DR:
* Open data editor
* Open Effects tab
* Find Baneling - Volatile Burst (Set)
* Open (Basic) Effect: Effects + field
* Remove Suicide from the list

Srajan

Reaction score
Wow! thanks for the detailed explanation!
Also am i supposed to remove both the suicide effects ? (the friendly and the remove buff)
or only the remove buff?

Also, messing about the editor i saw many hidden upgrades for banelings which are not used in normal games.
So is there anyway to unlock them?

Siretu

Reaction score
You should remove neither, I think. You should remove the one at the bottom which is only called "Suicide", nothing else.

Can you give an example of one of the hidden upgrades you found?

Srajan

Reaction score
Under banelings,
There's "Tunneling Jaws" and "Abdominal Fortitude" under upgrades.

EDIT: I just tried doing what u said above, no dice :( . Have you tried to do it? Cause, it doesn't work for me.

Srajan

Reaction score
The map doesn't work!
banelings still die after explosion! (which they aren't supposed to )

also , how to unlock the hidden upgrades (as stated above) ?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
In HotS, Blizzard remade the Baneling weapon so Siretu's instruction will only work in WoL. The solution is very similar in HotS. Find the Hot SBaneling Explode Large Set effect and remove Suicide Delay from the Effect: Effects + property.

To enable the "hidden" upgrades, all you need to do is add the research upgrade button to the appropriate structures command card. So as an example, the Tunneling Jaws upgrade is supposed to be researched at the Baneling Nest. So find the Baneling Nest unit in the Data Editor, edit the Ability: Command Card + property, add the Evolve Tunneling Jaws button to an empty slot, and set Command Type to Ability Command, Ability to Research (Baneling Nest) and Ability Command to Evolve Tunneling Jaws. If done correctly, the upgrade will now be available to be researched.

Srajan

Reaction score
I'm sorry for being such a bother.
I got the upgrades done.
But there isn't anything under the name "SBaneling Explode Large Set" under effects!

Dave312

Reaction score
It should be Hot SBaneling Explode Large Set.

If you still can't find it, are you using the Heart of the Swarm dependencies and did you include the Campaign data?

Dave312

Reaction score
You won't have the campaign data in that map so that is why you can't find that effect. In which case Siretu's instructions should work - I'm not quite sure why it isn't. It's time for me to go to bed but I'll look into it tomorrow.

Siretu

Reaction score
Remember that if you don't change the baneling health, it will still be at 30 which means your enemy units might kill it. What I described wont make the unit invincible, it'll just make the unit doesn't suicide when attacking or using the "explode" ability.

Dave312

Reaction score
The problem you are having is that although the baneling is not committing suicide when it attacks, it is still dealing damage to itself which is causing it to be killed. If you change the life of the baneling to 500, you can see this. I have been trying to stop it from dealing damage to itself, but I just can't seem to make it work.

Srajan

Reaction score
Yep, i tried that. the banelings do the damage but dont die. but also the explode animation doesn't take place.I'm guessing the animation is linked with the banelings suicide.
can we instead link the animation with the attack (rather than the death) and give the baneling a huge amount of health. that way it'll work

what if we make a mechanism that whenever a banelings attacks (explodes) a new baneling instantly replaces it (at that particular co-ordinate)? is this possible? im not very skilled with the editor.

Siretu

Reaction score
This post goes through how to do what you want with data. It looks long, but that is just because I tried to explain everything as detailed as possible. If there's something that's still unclear, just ask. In addition, I made you a test map that you can look at, which I uploaded with this post.

According to the guy who made it, he did just what you suggested. He made a trigger that looked like this:
Trigger:
  • Baneling spawn
    • Events
      • Unit - Any Unit dies
    • Local Variables
    • Conditions
      • (Unit type of (Triggering unit)) == Baneling
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Baneling for player (Triggering player) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using default facing (No Options)

It's a pretty ugly solution though. If your baneling has any buffs or is saved in some other trigger, it'll be reset.

The reason the baneling takes damage when it uses the explode ability is because the "Baneling - Volatile Burst (Unit Damage)" and "Baneling - Volatile Burst (Building Damage)" effects deals damage in a circle around it(including itself). To fix this, go into both effects and open the "(Basic) Search : Search Filters" field.

Double-click on the "Self" row until it says "Excluded".

Also open the "(Basic) Target : Impact Location" field and change it from "Caster Unit" to "Caster Point".

To fix the animation, you have to add the death animation manually. Normally, it is automatically played due to the death but since it doesn't die, it doesn't play the animation. This is a little tricky to fix manually, but it is a very good learning experience and I'll guide you through it completely.

First of all, you have to create a new actor. This actor will handle the death animation. When we want to show the explosion, we'll create this actor and have it play the explosion animation.

* Create the animation and call it "Baneling Death". Press the suggest button and set the actor type to "Model"

* In the actor you just made, open the "(Basic) Event: Events + " field. Right-click in the list and select "Add event". Set the event to "Actor creation" and the message(the row below it) to "Animation Play". The animation needs a name so press the customize button and write the name "Death", press the green "+" to add it to the list and THEN press okay (Remember to press the "+" BEFORE you press okay). Finally set the Animation Properties to "Death" as well. Press okay and exit out of the events field.

* In the same actor (the one you just made, Baneling Death), open the "(Basic) Art: Model" field and set it to "Baneling Ex1 Death".

### So what have we done so far? We've setup the death animation to automatically play the death animation when it is created. Now we have to make sure to create it when it's supposed to ###

* Select the normal Baneling actor, which is just called "Baneling". Open up the "(Basic) Event: Events +" field. You have to create two event/messages that looks like this:
Code:
Abil.Explode.SourceCastStart
    Create BanelingDeath
WeaponStart.VolatileBurst.AttackStart
    Create BanelingDeath
You can either right-click, add new events and set them to ability and such. The faster way is to find the events in the list that looks like this:
Code:
Abil.Explode.SourceCastStart
    StatusSet DeathSuicide 1
WeaponStart.VolatileBurst.AttackStart
    StatusSet DeathSuicide 1
Copy these events, and change "StatusSet DeathSuicide 1" into a Create message.

* In the create message, set the type to "Actor" and choose the actor you made, Baneling Death.

Attachments

• ExplodeBaneling.SC2Map
    27.6 KB · Views: 344
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.