Networking and Windows Vista...Sigh...

Daedin

Reaction score
I know you're thinking, "0MG L0T$ 0F T3XT", But please, read through this, I desperately need help!

Alright...where to begin...

Well, I got this new Vista computer running 64bit Vista premium home edition about half a year ago. When I first got it I had it in my brothers room and it worked perfectly and was able to get on the internet via ethernet cable through our router. However, I soon moved the computer into my room and ran a longer ethernet cable to hook it up in my room. And here the problem arises: it didn't get online anymore. I've been trying to figure this out for literally almost 4 months. I've called over Comcast and had them try to hook it up; no luck. I've phoned Geek Squad and had them try to help me; no luck. I've scoured the internet for hours on end searching for solutions to no avail.

I did however, come across one website that helped me. It finally managed to get my Vista Desktop to say that it was connected to the internet, although it was an "unidentified network" (Picture 1 in the attachments) Sadly, it wouldn't let me online. After a couple more hours on the site, I managed to get it to recognize my home network and say I was on the internet, but sadly, again, it didn't let me online. (Picture 2)

I checked the status of the connection and it was indeed sending and receiving packets, but that didn't seem to mean anything. (Picture 3)

I hit the "Diagnose Connection Problems" button and I got an error box saying that a firewall was blocking "domain" and that it was a DNS error (Picture 4). I tried running a DNS flush out of the command prompt, but it did nothing. I also turned off both firewalls on the host computer and on my computer, but that still did nothing, and it still gave me the "Firewall is blocking 'domain'" error.

I just can't stand not having internet on this damn vista computer and I am searching desperately for any solutions that may help me. So please, tell me anything, no matter how stupid it may seem, that you think might help me fix this problem.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 220
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 220

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
have you checked the actual wiring?

"lol. obsessed with ijji? gunz, gunbound. drift city? :p"

Daedin

Reaction score
I've checked the actual wiring several times. Even the guy from comcast checked it and said it was fine. I'm thinking of trying to upgrade to Windows 7, and if that doesn't work, install XP or something, but those are last resorts. I just want to get this working because other than this problem, Vista is amazing for me. When I did have internet, I had no problems except the occasional norton interrupting my games. I uninstalled that, though. @ElderKingPin: Yes, I <3 Ijji :D (You forgot to mention A.V.A when you said I was obssessed with ijji) :p

---UPDATE---

So after searching for more solutions, I got the computer to recognize that it is connected to my Home Network, but there is still no internet connection. The error it shows me is a DNS Error (Picture #5 in the main post now). I have tried the whole, "Edit your registry to disable DHCP broadcast flags in vista" fix but it hasn't worked. Does anyone know how to fix a DNS error? D:

---UPDATE #2---

OMG!!! I fixed itttt!!!!! I ran ipconfig /release, /renew, and /flushdns on both computers and manually input my static IP in my IPv4 Connection and it works! Holy crap i'm so happy! Thanks for trying to help me but after 8 consecutive hours of frustration today i've finally fixed it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.