Sci/Tech New IBM computer chip mimics the human brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Making computers behave like humans has taken another step forward.

IBM on Thursday announced it has created a chip designed to imitate the human brain's ability to understand its surroundings, act on things that happen around it and make sense of complex data.

Instead of requiring the type of programming that computers have needed for the past half-century, the experimental chip will let a new generation of computers, called "cognitive computers," learn through their experiences and form their own theories about what those experiences mean.

The chips revealed Thursday are a step in a project called SyNAPSE (Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics). The two chip prototypes are a step toward letting computers "reason" instead of reacting solely based on data that has been pre-programmed, IBM says.

Last edited:

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
This is actually how the Terminator series first started. No joke.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
learn through their experiences and form their own theories about what those experiences mean.
:rolleyes:
Seriously, a computer can't think for themself right?
Well, no matter what, a computer can never replace the human brain or beat human intelligence! That's it

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Well, no matter what, a computer can never replace the human brain or beat human intelligence! That's it
WRONG, the human brain is nothing without the computer ;)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score

Yes it can. Quite easily.

FireCat

Reaction score
WRONG, the human brain is nothing without the computer ;)
Ha! No, not wrong at all
Well, we can definitely exist without a computer but can they exist without us? LOL
Btw: human brain is a biological neural network really! While a computer is Just a dumb machine.

Nope @Varine

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score

FireCat

Reaction score
I'm going back to regarding you as a joke again.
Hi, what's up?
Seriously, there ain't no such thing as a "human whatever brain machine" Never be!

Hmm Chips can not do anything without software Right?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, what's up?
Seriously, there ain't no such thing as a "human whatever brain machine" Never be!

Not at the moment, but the fact that you are denying that there never will be humors me.

Don't feel special. Your brain is just a biological machine built by atoms. There's nothing special or magical going on in the background. This means that there's nothing but our current lack of knowledge(and our knowledge is ever-increasing) that is stopping us from recreating it and/or improve it.

If we don't die to some freak accident, we will probably get to that point of knowledge some day. We're just not that close atm. As you said, the brain is just a biological neural network(Although a very complex one) The fact that there are already machines that mimic this on a small scale just tells us that we're getting closer.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
This is more of how a one or a few neurons work rather than the whole brain. Human brains can be replaced by computers but not in the near future. It would take a very very very long time for something like that to be produced. And it wouldn't have too much of a practical use either. Still this is a step forward into a good direction.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Hi, what's up?

Your brain runs extremely similarly to a computer. It's entirely based on electrical waves, and can be mimicked very easily. Software is a large part of it; they already have programs can that can learn. When I was in college I wrote a chess program that had very a vague concept of the game at first, all I did was program the basic rules (not even that, really, as it made illegal moves all the time at first. I had to push a button telling it that it can't do that), and eventually it was better than me by storing the data of previous games and scanning the moves to figure out where it went wrong before. It's just stepping it up a bit; even without chips like this it can be done entirely via software. Admittedly a large piece of software with a lot of extra storage, but it's really not that hard. I've been thinking about building a little roomba robot thing and seeing if I can make it recognize things in my house (like telling it couch and pointing it at it until it takes enough images to recognize it).

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Wait, these posts are starting to make me wonder if we are actually machines to a bigger world :D

NoobImbaPro

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
@Varine
Human is a Computer with a 64 cores 8.2 GHz each processor, with a graphics card beyond your imagination, a memory of 350 TB, 2 cameras of infinite pixels with 3D view, it can also run about 30 km/h and have 80 years guarantee. It can learn simple things that can convert into multicomplex ones using Human Logic programming language, it has survival program installed with super strength extension for a small period using adrenaline, it has an anti-virus program that learns about the virus & updates itself, and it can create another type of itself with better performance based on the data he has from its experience. And I haven't said everything.

Would you(plural) still want to give to the crappy Computer machine a brain??
Would you like to hear from you computer "F**k you I won't play this movie/game because I (don't like it/am bored)" ???

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Would you(plural) still want to give to the crappy Computer machine a brain??
Would you like to hear from you computer "F**k you I won't play this movie/game because I (don't like it/am bored)" ???

I don't know if I understood your first sentence correctly. Are you asking if I would give a brain to this "crappy" computer machine? In that case, why not?

As for your second question, first of all having a human-like computer intelligence doesn't mean we'd have to put it in out home computers that we use for entertainment(although I would still think that is a good idea)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
@ NoobImbaPro

I think we already have robots stronger/faster/better then the human body, and we probably aren't that far from putting a human brain into controlling such a body either, so it's not giving a crappy computer machine a brain, it's giving a brain a better body (or a person? is a working brain a person?) - next would be somehow getting the "human" brain to be able to "use" it's "infinite memory" such that it can actually remember something for more then 2 seconds without needing it to be "written" 100s of times (how many digits of pi can you memorize? 100? how many can a computer? and how easily can you/the computer do it?) - an apples to apples comparison isn't really possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.