• 500GB Hard Drive
  • 4GB 1333MHz RAM

• $1499 21.5" 1920x1080 / $1699 27" 2560x1440
  • 2.7GHz quad-core i5
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 4GB 1333MHz RAM

• $1999 27" 2560x1440
  • 3.1GHz quad-core i5 (3.4GHz i7 option)
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB (2GB option)
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 4GB 1333MHz RAM

I'm going to upgrade from 2009 27" iMac w/ i7 860 @ 2.8GHz, 2TB HD, 4850M 512MB, 12GB RAM, to the 3.4GHz 2600 i7 w/ the 6970 2GB, 1TB HD, and 16GB RAM. Woohoo I'm excited.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have disposable income or something?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
That's one of those things I've always wondered about Apple fanboys, or anyone with insane brand loyalty for that matter. But moreso with Apple, because they charge such ridiculous prices that it makes me wonder if they all secretly live in abject poverty just to have the shiny new gadget which has little extra over its predecessor.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
That's one of those things I've always wondered about Apple fanboys, or anyone with insane brand loyalty for that matter. But moreso with Apple, because they charge such ridiculous prices that it makes me wonder if they all secretly live in abject poverty just to have the shiny new gadget which has little extra over its predecessor.

That or their daddy's credit cards. :p just kidding.

Winterherz

Reaction score

In defense for the Mac fanboys...this may sound like steve jobs cliches but apple makes great products. You have to weigh in other variables, not just the specs before you judge the price.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, I think it is some pretty sleek tech. I was in an Apple store a few days ago, and the stuff is a lot more... inviting, if you will, in person. It does not, however, mean it is not overpriced.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
In defense of the price, it is not only about the specs. It is about how it's engineered and the longevity and durability that come with the better engineering.

Also... Dunno. I guess the toughness.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
No, I'll sell this machine and probably need $400 AU to get the new one (with 16GB RAM which is ~$200 of that).

The prices are pretty great if you compare them against another all-in-one, and decent if you compare it against a desktop system (including the screen). The 27" models are the best value, I'd say.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
In defense of the price, it is not only about the specs. It is about how it's engineered and the longevity and durability that come with the better engineering.

Also... Dunno. I guess the toughness.

Don't get me wrong when I say this, because I am not anti-Apple or anything (well, not completely :p), but it has been my experience with the people I know who are Apple fanboys that they have just as many issues with their gadgets as I do with mine, if not more so, using non-Apple stuff.

I've heard the "Apple's hardware and software is superior" for a long time, and frankly I don't buy that argument. I think it just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard the "Apple's hardware and software is superior" for a long time, and frankly I don't buy that argument. I think it just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I agree with this very much. Apple's software may be superior to someone in a way, however it does not mean that it is superior to everyone. I personally like Apple's operating systems, however I do not think it's worth getting an Apple computer (price-wise) to have the operating system. If they sold it seperatly, like Windows, I would consider it a lot more.

The prices are pretty great if you compare them against another all-in-one, and decent if you compare it against a desktop system (including the screen). The 27" models are the best value, I'd say.

They are only alright compared to other all-in-one computers (I'm taking your word. I haven't checkedd), because there are not too many others on the market. I think a lot of people, me included, prefer to have a tower and seperate monitor than an all-in-one.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
They are only alright compared to other all-in-one computers (I'm taking your word. I haven't checkedd), because there are not too many others on the market. I think a lot of people, me included, prefer to have a tower and seperate monitor than an all-in-one.
Hmm? Only alright but you haven't checked? :p

Well, I see the best value iMac as the 27" quad-core model. There's just nothing like it out there. You won't find one with a 27" 2560x1440 screen, nor a graphics card as good as the 6970M. The best graphics from HP's line of all-in-one's is the GT 425M 2GB and the 6970 performs between three and five times better at the same resolution as the 425.

• $950 21.5" 200q series 1080p
  • 2.8GHz quad-core i5 770
  • GeForce GT 425M 2GB
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 6GB 1333MHz RAM

• $1199 21.5" 1080p
  • 2.5GHz quad-core i5 (SB)
  • AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
  • 500GB Hard Drive
  • 4GB 1333MHz RAM
So you're paying another $250 for the iMac than HP's 200q. Although, the iMac has a 500GB smaller hard drive and 2GB less RAM but has an IPS display, better GPU, and better CPU despite having a lower clock speed (that'll change when HP updates their line with Sandy Bridge CPUs).

• $1999 27" 1440p
  • 3.1GHz quad-core i5 (SB)
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970 1GB
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 4GB 1333MHz RAM
And here you're getting the best value for your money in an iMac imo. Here you're paying $1050 more but you're getting a faster CPU, a much better GPU as well as a very big, expensive IPS display. It's $1000 from Apple, or $900 from Dell (last I checked).

Not including the value of the aesthetics (subjective), build quality, Mac OS (subjective), or the wireless keyboard and trackpad.

All in all, I'm just happy Apple used the best mobile graphics card available. I can't wait until I can get mine.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What was that? I can't hear you from the all the sound I'm making from building my computer D:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I'm going to upgrade from 2009 27" iMac w/ i7 860 @ 2.8GHz, 2TB HD, 4850M 512MB, 12GB RAM, to the 3.4GHz 2600 i7 w/ the 6970 2GB, 1TB HD, and 16GB RAM. Woohoo I'm excited.
Will you even be able to tell the difference? Those both have extremely high specs.

> better GPU
Although with 1.5 GB less graphics memory.

> better CPU despite having a lower clock speed
The two CPU's performance are still quite close. And I'm sure you can upgrade the CPU on that HP to something far superior for less than that $250 price difference. Regardless, as you said, that's going to change soon.

> Not including the value of the aesthetics (subjective), build quality, Mac OS (subjective), or the wireless keyboard and trackpad.
$0. $0 (Apple build quality is good, but not superior). $0 (About the same value as Windows, IMO). $30 or so more.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
> I'm going to upgrade from 2009 27" iMac w/ i7 860 @ 2.8GHz, 2TB HD, 4850M 512MB, 12GB RAM, to the 3.4GHz 2600 i7 w/ the 6970 2GB, 1TB HD, and 16GB RAM. Woohoo I'm excited.
Will you even be able to tell the difference? Those both have extremely high specs.
When gaming, most definitely. The i7 2600 is a great improvement over the i7 860 and will get me higher FPS, but also will help a bit overall. Will be noticeable in any intensive applications, i.e handbrake, etc.

The graphics card however, is a significant upgrade and will very much so be noticed when gaming!
> better GPU
Although with 1.5 GB less graphics memory.
That means nothing. It's just easy to sell GB's than better GPUs.

Only at 2560x1440+ is 2GB needed. Otherwise 1GB is fine, and it's only needed at 1080p with really high settings. It helps a little with higher AA.
> better CPU despite having a lower clock speed
The two CPU's performance are still quite close. And I'm sure you can upgrade the CPU on that HP to something far superior for less than that $250 price difference. Regardless, as you said, that's going to change soon.
Well, you could probably grab an i7 which'll beat it in apps that use all those cores.
> Not including the value of the aesthetics (subjective), build quality, Mac OS (subjective), or the wireless keyboard and trackpad.
$0. $0 (Apple build quality is good, but not superior). $0 (About the same value as Windows, IMO). $30 or so more.
Have a look at that plastic looking Dell all-in-one and then compare it to the aluminum iMac with edge to edge glass... do you really think the Dell looks better, and is built better? (Let's not forget the IPS display in the iMac, either)

I wasn't suggesting that it has anymore value than Windows (although to some it will), rather that it does have a value. If you were to build a computer yourself, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit would cost you $100. So, considering I'm saying you couldn't build it cheaper. The OS has value to add.

Haha Dell's wireless keyboard and mouse costs $30. Apple's aluminum keyboard and multi-touch mouse should rake in a little more than that :p but that depends on you I guess.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I don't dispute you have more flexibility and expandability with building your own machine. You can get what you need and also replace parts when they become outdated. Not to mention you can OC the CPU and GPU (can only OC the GPU in a Mac).

My point is, Apple isn't overcharging. You couldn't really buy those parts individually for much less. They do overcharge for the upgrades a bit though.

That isn't to say that building a machine isn't better value for you than buying an iMac, or an all-in-one, or even a pre-built. But that doesn't make that machine "overpriced".

Here's an example:

• 27" 2560x1440 IPS display: $1000
  • Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz: $190
  • Radeon HD 6970M 1GB (HD 6850): $170
  • 1TB 7200RPM HDD: $60
  • 4GB 1333MHz RAM: $40
  • Motherboard: $100
  • Power Supply: ~$60
  • Bluetooth+Wireless+DVD drive: $50
  • Peripherals: $100
  • Casing: $100

Total: $1870. Apple charges $1999. That's not including the OS, or any fans, heat-sinks, and other little tidbits which you'd have to buy to build your own rig. You could add +$100 for Mac OS (the price of Windows 7 HP) and that'd bring it to $1970.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
You're not paying for the Apple logo with the iMac (at least the 27" high end, anyway), you couldn't build yourself something cheaper by anything that's worth it. I can backup my words, if requested :)

Well, I just configured this build on Newegg:
Grand Total: $1,995.86

It has a faster CPU with huge overclocking potential, double the RAM, a better video card (not a mobile version) with double the video memory, and matches the iMac on all the other specs there.

I don't dispute you have more flexibility and expandability with building your own machine.

I find it funny that after someone disproves your point, which you claim you can back up, you change what your point is. I'm not trying to be mean here, just pointing out something very commonly flawed about your arguments.

That being said, Apple has been doing better about pricing their computers. I'll agree with you that many all-in-one computers are bad in comparison, this is why so many of us choose to build our machines.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.