Discussion New Language - Discussion

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I was thinking about designing it for Moonlite, but until I can actually use it, I can't make that decision.

Also, I'm probably going to do this in Python, since it let's anyone modify it without having to download source, edit, recompile, debug...
If I end up not doing it in Python, it'll be C#, most likely.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should truly make a decision soon.

And the awesome possum part of python would be cross platform support.

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I've actually thought about it for about a month now.
I'm going to still develope a JASS version, but as soon as SC2 comes out, I'll be dropping the JASS version. Earlier if Galaxy is any good.

Hell, I won't even work on a JASS version if I get the beta with the editor. I'll just work entirely on Galaxy.

Just pre-order your game from Gamestop, you'll get a free beta key. I did that, but I have a mac so I doubt I'll be able to run beta since the mac client doesn't work yet lol. I really pre-ordered it just so it would ship to my house and I would be guaranteed a copy though, I don't care so much about the beta.

Lyerae

Reaction score
I'd do that, but I'm broke at the moment, and my first "priority" with money is a new laptop, since mine is really old...

And I think I'll do Python, because of it's ease-of-use.
If speed becomes an issue, I read about a system which converts the code into native code, increasing speed by 20-50%. Can't remember the name though. I'll have to ask on the Python IRC.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
I wouldn't go python.

I'd go IronPython.

IronPython is a .Net language such as C# but you code in Python!

Make your Python code up to the .Net framework, because seriously, Python is old and I won't ever get it's VM. However most PCs have the .Net VM already installed <-.

Lyerae

Reaction score
Python is updated more often than C#.
And more widely supported.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Plus it has PLY. It's easy to use once you've understood how it works.

EDIT: Now that I've read a couple more replies to the thread ... you guys should decide on the lexer / parser first, THEN the library. Anyway, I've used PLY for a language before. So if you're using Python with PLY, I can help you.

EDIT2: Library? I meant programming language.

Lyerae

Reaction score
I was considering pyparsing, but if Ply is more powerful, I'll definitely use that. I'll read over the documentation in a moment.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I haven't heard of Pyparsing before. I doubt it's less powerful than PLY. It looks like PLY with shortcuts, which means shorter code. But it looks harder to understand what's going on than PLY oO.

Lyerae

Reaction score
Yeah, Ply seems more powerful. I think I'll use that.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
I was thinking about designing it for Moonlite, but until I can actually use it, I can't make that decision.

Also, I'm probably going to do this in Python, since it let's anyone modify it without having to download source, edit, recompile, debug...
If I end up not doing it in Python, it'll be C#, most likely.

I'ld use ruby + racc. Python is okay, too...
I haven't worked with racc yet, though. Back in the days, I used python+TPG to play a little with compiler construction.

>Python is old
LOL. Computers are older than python, so I guess I should stop using computers oO

>If speed becomes an issue
It's probably of algorithmic nature. I hardly believe a constant factor speed increase will do much improvement (even if it is about 10-15). I don't believe speed will become an issue though : )

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Feature: Can we remove the forced declaration of locals at the beginning of a function? I hate that.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Feature: Can we remove the forced declaration of locals at the beginning of a function? I hate that.

The problem with that is syntax checking D: But just keep it out of loops and stuff and hopefully it will work<3

Lyerae

Reaction score
o_O

Well, after talking to some people, I've come to the the conclusion that I don't know enough about parsing (and/or compiling) to actually make this, so I'm going to "put it on hold" until I do know enough.

I still fully intend to create this. It'll just take awhile longer.
(I figured it'd be better to "take my time" and learn, rather than quickly burn through everything, and end up screwing it all up, and waste time.)

:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.