New map size limit likely

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Vexorian said:
Did anyone notice the new size limit is 8 MB ?

Looks like the map size limit is going to get increased with the 1.23b patch.
More custom stuff to cover up shitty gameplay! hooray! =D

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh no. :(

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
8MB is NOTHING, I'd gladly download an 8MB map if that means it will look nicer. I'm happy for it.

I'm not exactly sure how that works though, because I imported 6mb of shit into my project and its filesize is something like 2.8mb, unoptimized. :nuts:

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Blizzard is actually helping map makers. Looks like my ORPG will be coming out better. So will many others. Ghost Wind, i think blizzard might have even made a optimizer. Now 456 by 456 maps will be playable, as long as blizzard increased the dl speed on b.net.

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
YAY!! This totally helps my Orpg delema cuz there is no way I can finish it im only 15% and i have 3.9 mb lolz

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
Um, Why? That was a great comment. Thank you very much........
I have all my imports... all i need is to finish the terrain... after its done it will be 4.2 mb about....

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Um, Why? That was a great comment. Thank you very much........
I have all my imports... all i need is to finish the terrain... after its done it will be 4.2 mb about....

Your previous comment made it sound very much like your map was projected to be ~26 MB once complete.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
8MB is NOTHING, I'd gladly download an 8MB map if that means it will look nicer. I'm happy for it.

I'm not exactly sure how that works though, because I imported 6mb of shit into my project and its filesize is something like 2.8mb, unoptimized. :nuts:
1. Downloaded of off a site maybe, but through wc3 that would take very long.
2. Becuase of the above, it would be pretty much impossible to get a full game on b.net
3. So you would just play it single player anyways?

Of course there are exceptions, but I don't think it will really be made use of. :shades:

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Blizzard wouldn't make the max map size 8mb if it takes too long to dl. They probably will improve the system and speed up dl.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
If they do so, some maps would end up incompatible with the old patches of warcraft.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trouble is, we don't want to sit around for ages in the lobby downloading a map, just because the creator decided to import some bloody trees and a sky model.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
1. Downloaded of off a site maybe, but through wc3 that would take very long.
2. Becuase of the above, it would be pretty much impossible to get a full game on b.net
3. So you would just play it single player anyways?

Of course there are exceptions, but I don't think it will really be made use of. :shades:

Lots of people download maps from sites. I tend to organize my games with my friends anyways, so if it's not DotA, I don't really play with pubbies.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Lots of people download maps from sites. I tend to organize my games with my friends anyways, so if it's not DotA, I don't really play with pubbies.
Well yes, thats why I said there is exceptions. Random people normally don't just download lots of maps from sites though, so I don't think it would work, even if some do; it would mostly be groups of friends playing maps.

@D.V.D: Somehow, I don't think they will go through that much work for an old game like wc3. Only reason they are patching it at all this time is for DotA, anyways.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Maybe it is for DOTa but there not gonna make you download DOTA for ever or no one will play it.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Blizzard wouldn't make the max map size 8mb if it takes too long to dl. They probably will improve the system and speed up dl.

Hopefully they'll update this system. This download system right now is too slow.

I just think 98% of the maps will have Linkin Park music added to them. :(

I lol'd

---

Anyway, I think its great that they (might be) are upgrading the map size.
Although most maps won't ever get to that size, I know several maps that are limited in what they have because of needed models and such.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I think they're going to use the same servers for SC2, and are upgrading them accordingly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.