New map size limit likely

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Hmm... Faster servers. I like the sound of that.

punwisp

Reaction score
like above said... Maybe maps for SC2 are big in general, ans if 2 MB is small for is, 4MB may be small for a map in SC2

Septimus

Reaction score
8mb increase was a dumb thing to do.

1) It encourage map maker to user a massive amount of custom resources to enchances the look rather than using ingenuity and creativity to develop map.
2) It encourage map maker to add in unnecessary material into their map such as music.
3) User with poor/inefficient connection would have to wait longer during the d/l.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>It encourage map maker to user a massive amount of custom resources to enchances the look rather than using ingenuity and creativity to develop map.

QFT

but.... tbh, for an ORPG that is good, because everyone knows that since the world is so stupid that can't conjure even one good mapper that won't make a crappy RPG, custom models and terrain make 100% of the RPG's. : (

Septimus

Reaction score
but.... tbh, for an ORPG that is good, because everyone knows that since the world is so stupid that can't conjure even one good mapper that won't make a crappy RPG, custom models and terrain make 100% of the RPG's. : (

I would say this is a complete bullsh*t, with good creativity and knowledge. Anybody can make a good rpg with awesome terrain below 4mb as long as they have the will and this map below prove my point.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-a-112705/?prev=of=downloads_month&order=DESC

3.67mb, not even 4mb yet and yet the work was excellent?

Conclusion, 8mb = Stup*d, useless and sucks.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Not all people are capable of that good ORPG and that one is pretty small. They also did want the boost in map size so that they could implement a tech tree. I don't see why people don't want 8mb. If it won't affect you then stop complaining.

Septimus

Reaction score
that one is pretty small.

Being small have nothing to do with the quality and I won't be suprise if 95% of the map in the future have a rather weak quality due to this implementation.

Honestly enough, nobody going to play a 8mb map where it contain a 3-4mb music or just a massive custom icon/model/skin if the gameplay was boring or it was poorly develop.

Imagine you go to battlenet, download a 8mb map for about an estimate 20 seconds. Wait for full house for 11 player map where 10 player have to download it as well and it took your time about 3-5 minutes to wait.

Everybody ready and the game start load, once in the game you found out it was a horrible and everybody leave. Guess what? Congratulation, you just waste 5 minutes of your precious life time waiting to play something that are horrible that barely last for 30 seconds.

If it was 4mb, you probably wait for 1-3 minutes instead of 3-5. 20 seconds download for 8mb is my estimation for a very speedy connection, try imagine if your download speed was much slower and have to wait longer.

This would also naturally encourage all user not to join any map they doesn't know anything about it. In the end, only popular map like DotA and Elemental TD would probably be the only dominant map at the entire battlenet and garena with every single new/unknown map isolated by player.

And guess who are the one going to complain, blame and whine at the map popularity? I don't need to say, do I?

The disadvantage of 8mb increase are more than the advantage it attain.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Blizzard wouldn't make the max map size 8mb if it takes too long to dl. They probably will improve the system and speed up dl.

dl speed slow? in Kalimdor there is no problem on that, everything you do is almost instant (even dls are instant as you join you almost instantly got the map even if it's almost 4mb). that should be the same thing in all bnet servers, that just depends on everyone's net speed.

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Sounds amazing to me. But I'd like a link to where you heard this.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
dl speed slow? in Kalimdor there is no problem on that, everything you do is almost instant (even dls are instant as you join you almost instantly got the map even if it's almost 4mb). that should be the same thing in all bnet servers, that just depends on everyone's net speed.

In Us East, you'd be suprised how long it takes to dl. The 3 mb maps takes one player about 1.3 minutes to dl. Atleast for hlwroc and most others. Your lucky if you get those maps instantly dled.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
just tried recently to dl a map in all server, here's the average time for a 3.9mb map (fate/another) :
- all servers (fiber-optic com in asia) : instant
- all servers (128kb host + shared dls) : almost instant (eats up all the connexion of other users I upload from)
- europe (128kb host) : ~2 min
- useast (128kb host) : ~2 min
- uswest (128kb host) : ~2 min
- kalimdor (128kb host) : ~2 min

well, just find a host who has a high speed net, or someone in the room you can upload the map from (sometimes that happens) so you download the map at a high speed.

edit: tried with a hlwroc I found in useast, took about 1 min to dl (3.2mb) then i asked someone with high speed net to host (200mos) and I had no problem to do almost instant dl from him (2 seconds to download). just depends on the host.

Septimus

Reaction score
Advantage

Could use more custom resources to enchance the look (Yeah right, like it could get any better)

Disadvantage

Longer download speed (God bless you if your connection was a complete crap)
Map maker add more useless resources like unnecessary music with huge file size.
Map maker probably would simply add whatever resources they deem to fit or awesome without thinking, probably render the quality low.
Map maker probably depends more on custom resources instead of creativity to enchances the map.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Advantage

Could use more custom resources to enchance the look (Yeah right, like it could get any better)

Disadvantage

Longer download speed (God bless you if your connection was a complete crap)
Map maker add more useless resources like unnecessary music with huge file size.
Map maker probably would simply add whatever resources they deem to fit or awesome without thinking, probably render the quality low.
Map maker probably depends more on custom resources instead of creativity to enchances the map.

They are using the new b.net for the next patch. The same b.net will be used for sc2. And having more custom resources makes the map have a different feel instead of the same old wc3. I don't understand why your complaining about the extra 4mb. If blizzard added the extra 4mb without enchancing b.net which they are doing, they would have never added the extra 4mb.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
+
A lot more models will be used and the modelers will be treated a bit better.
-
Map makers now totally depend on custom models. Therefore gameplay is not that important
People with slow connection can't afford to to download maps.
Mappers will go "custom crap crazy"

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
If they did that, no one would play their map so they would enchance the gameplay. And I doubt anyone is that stupid to do that.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm against this too. We don't need more than 4mb of crap in a map. =|

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.