Sci/Tech New Mars Caves - Possible Signs of Life?

Tonks

Reaction score
A Mars-orbiting satellite recently spotted seven dark spots near the planet's equator that scientists think could be entrances to underground caves.

The football-field sized holes were observed by Mars Odyssey's Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS) and have been dubbed the seven sisters --Dena, Chloe, Wendy, Annie, Abbey, Nikki and Jeanne--after loved ones of the researchers who found them. The potential caves were spotted near a massive Martian volcano, Arisa Mons. Their openings range from about 330 to 820 feet (100 to 250 meters) wide, and one of them, Dena, is thought to extend nearly 430 feet (130 meters) beneath the planet's surface.

The researchers hope the discovery will lead to more focused spelunking on Mars.

---
Pretty neat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
What so special about life on mars?

If people really want to see a martin? Then they should look in the mirror xD

Tonks

Reaction score
What so special about life on mars?

I think it's yearning for some evidence that we're not alone in a giant black emptiness that catches our attention so.

It also leads to more evidence of the beginnings of life. And for some reason, humans are obsessed with know how something started, how it's going to end, and why.

that is pretty cool

I thought so.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
It's a planet with an intriguing climate balance that promotes caves (anyone who has taken Physical Science would know the basics of why). How could there not be caves? Whoop-di-doo. It would be more impressive if the caves were somehow symmetrical or following an artistic pattern, thereby suggesting some kind of previously unknown creator.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
It's kinda cool to find life in a nieghbor planet, they could really help us improve our planet too! (Hope the only way to improve our planet is by getting humans extinct) but other than that...not much to it but having the satisfaction of knowing, and proving, that "something else" is out there

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
How could there not be caves? Whoop-di-doo.

I agree. People: they found some holes in the ground. They didn't find life. They didn't find evidence of life. Some NASA press secretary said, "Well, if there was life on Mars, and if it was living below the surface, then you might find some fossils or something in one of these caves. Maybe. And...you know, we could throw some astronauts down there?"

I swear, every time somebody mentions "Mars" and "life" in the same paragraph, it's like we all fall under the spell of the Magical Liopleurodon. "He didn't say anything!"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.