US News New Orleans Evacuated due to "Mother of all Storms"

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the city's more than 239,000 residents to evacuate on Sunday in the face of powerful Hurricane Gustav, which he called "the mother of all storms."

The evacuation order issued on Saturday was the first in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina devastated the historic Southern city in August 2005.

"This is the mother of all storms," Nagin said of Gustav, a monstrous Category 4 storm that could approach the central Louisiana coast just west of New Orleans on Monday.

"You need to be concerned and you need to get your butts moving and out of New Orleans right now," Nagin said at City Hall. "This is the storm of the century."

----

Last edited by a moderator:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I live in Houston and I've heard it could go to either our coast or the Louisiana coast just like Katrina.

Thankfully I live on the West Side so we should only get rain and winds.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
4 out of 5.. So this hurricane is even stronger than Katrina, since if i recall Katrina was 3 out of 5... I'm guessing after this nothing will be left out of the places Gustav visits. Good thing people got evacuated this time and i wonder if there are any people stupid enough to stay....

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
I heard the same thing as you Conan. We should get a bit more stronger winds then you will though.

Dang, that sucks. First Katrina and now this. When will their luck with hurricanes end?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Katrina was category 1 when it hit south florida. Then it went up to 3 and 5 a few times. It hit New Orleans while it was at 3.

Gustav is 530 miles south of Mississippi river's end. It's pretty close.

Good that they're getting evacuated now.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
More like the father of all storms. Hmm and there goes the RNC..

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
names are picked in alphabetical order and go male-female-male, so the name doesnt matter cuz people consider it "mother nature"
also damn sux to be them. wasnt there a level 5 hurricane in like the 80s that hit orleans?

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
whoa did it get from category 2 to 4 when it got to the ocean! :eek:

isn't new orleans still a mess after catrina?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well it's category 3 right now.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
>.> imagine there was a hurrican that was like 500 mph winds and it was the size of asia and it destroyed all of the southern U.S and northern South America

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
also damn sux to be them. wasnt there a level 5 hurricane in like the 80s that hit orleans?

Hurricane Allen made landfall in the US, but I don't think it hit New Orleans. Camille did, though (I think anyway), but that was in 1960's.

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
You're refering to scientifically discussed Hypercain. Don't even worry about those since the oceans I think have to be extremely warm to accumulate so much strength. As for Gustav, it's only the beginning of a series of hurricanes that will become more powerful possibly due to global warming.

Poor New Orleans. Yes it's not even close to a full recovery and this will hit rebuilding processing in the ass.

Hurricane Allen made landfall in the US, but I don't think it hit New Orleans. Camille did, though (I think anyway), but that was in 1960's.

What about hurricane Betsy?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
the thing is new orleans is under water level so their even more screwed than if another place got hit.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Yeah New Orleans might be going away for a little while. It's really unfortunate positioning. Almost as bad as Poland....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.