New site: WarCraft3 wiki

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/Main_Page aka Your first chance to prove AceHart wrong on anything.

Seeing that wikis apparently became the new big thing for WoW help resources, I became interested in trying it out for WC3 map editing, partly because I feel that it can solve some of the problems of the current "Tutorial/Article as a thread" concept and partly because I think it will continue to be the new big thing once SC2 is out (and TheHelper.net will obviously be the one that grasps the concept the fastest and bestest).

The idea is to create something similar (but way better ofc...) to the Tutorials section here and the function listings at The Jass Vault.
Some people, including me, have already started to familiarise themselves with the wiki concept. The guidelines are simple:
  • You are allowed to edit articles started by others, articles are owned by the community.
  • If you think an article needs improvement, then improve it.
  • If you think an article might need improvement, write on the talk page.
  • Write a user page for yourself. See User:Artificial for a good looking example or [noparse]User:phyrex1an[/noparse] for a functional example :p
  • Ask questions.

You can log in with your thehelper.net username and password. I give you a few days to familiarise yourself with the wiki, after that I'll launch a few monthly contests for fame, glory, progress and +rep (obligatory).

Before you leave: Check out these early gems, albeit rough ones:
  • Variables This is what you get when you unleash a world editor help mod on a wiki... Though, Artificial and I are accomplices. Hint: Hit edit to make it better.
  • Group API Someday there will be similar API pages for each of the common.j subsystems. Someday...
  • DoNothing Most complete write-up on the forgotten DoNothing that I've ever done.
So far only jass people have written stuff but nothing stops you from being the first object editor, GUI coder or terrainer to contribute or you maybe prefer to think up your own subject :p

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Very nice!

As a first contribution, I added a little about using the "ReturnTrue" function and memory leaks with boolexpr's:

http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/Boolexpr

How do you add a related section? I think the ReturnTrue function is similar to DoNothing, as they are both used as callbacks.

phyrex1an

Reaction score
How do you add a related section?
There are several different ways. The first, and usually best, is to find a way to have the link in the text of the article. Second to that is to add a new header and have related links as a list there eg,
=== See Also ===
* [[Apple]] is fruit common in many parts of the world
* [[Pineapple]] is pineish fruit
Last is to create a category for all articles about a similar topic. Like http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/Category:Jass_Natives. Add [[Category:CATEGORYNAME]] somewhere in the article.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about adding a list of all the icons in the .mpqs? I know someone started one before and I would be willing to contribute to the list.

phyrex1an

Reaction score

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
loginerror.JPG

bobby5589

Reaction score
For pages like Darthfett is talking about, just make another page that is the othercase and add a redirect code to it.
Code:
#REDIRECT [[name of the target page]]

phyrex1an most likely knows that already, but since it came up I figured I'd post it.

phyrex1an

Reaction score
Why do the lowercase versions of a link not go to the same place as the uppercase? http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/Boolexpr exists, but http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/boolexpr does not. I'm having to do [[Boolexpr|boolexpr]] every time I want to say something in lowercase, which is a bit of a pain.
That's on purpose. There are plenty of wc3 stuff that are different things when capitalized and not. Compare the And native versus the and boolean operator. However, all types are supposed to be non-capitalized (unit instead of Unit), same thing for all the bj_ globals, it's just me who haven't moved them yet.

~GaLs~ is not a valid wiki name, if we let you login with that name you would have many funny problems with the wiki. You can either have your name changed or create another account to use with the wiki.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
That's on purpose. There are plenty of wc3 stuff that are different things when capitalized and not. Compare the And native versus the and boolean operator. However, all types are supposed to be non-capitalized (unit instead of Unit), same thing for all the bj_ globals, it's just me who haven't moved them yet.

~GaLs~ is not a valid wiki name, if we let you login with that name you would have many funny problems with the wiki. You can either have your name changed or create another account to use with the wiki.

I guess there is the same problem with Dr.Jack? Should I just create a new account called DrJack?

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>You can either have your name changed or create another account to use with the wiki.
Now, I don't want my nickname here changed, so how should I create another account?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
>>You can either have your name changed or create another account to use with the wiki.
Now, I don't want my nickname here changed, so how should I create another account?

Seeing as there are two ways to fix the said problem, and you don't want to do one of them, I'd say the other is the way to go. ;)

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Yet another alternative would be to take the original name, do the authorization part,
then and only then wikify it and take it from there.
Then again...

Well, that's for later. After I killed phyrex or so.

phyrex1an

Reaction score
Yet another alternative would be to take the original name, do the authorization part,
then and only then wikify it and take it from there.
Then again...
... you get a rather interesting mapping problem. Many to one isn't a good way to do authentication imo, especially not when it's the users who decide what the "many" are.

Anyway, the rules for user names are much more permissive than they are advertised to be in the plugin I based the vb auth code from.
Replace the body of AuthPlugin_vBulletin::isValidUsername with a call to User::isValidUserName and world hunger is solved.
You can't kill me, I'm behind seven proxies.

bobby5589

Reaction score

I would suggest for anything that isn't different when capitalized or doesn't have anything or doesn't work when capitalized be redirected. It would make it easier on people that type it in. As for when they're different, you'll need to pages anyways and in that case they should most likely have a link to each other on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.