New Terms of Use

jleips2600

Reaction score
Additional License Limitations.
The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Service or any Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard's copyrights in and to the Service and/or Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

1. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the Service, any Game or any Game experience;
2. exploit the Service, a Game or any part thereof for any commercial purpose, including without limitation (a) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other commercial establishment without the express written consent of Blizzard; (b) to communicate or facilitate any commercial advertisement or solicitation; (c) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Game without Blizzard's authorization; or (d) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Game, e.g., power-leveling;
3. use the Service for any "e-sports" or group competition sponsored, promoted or facilitated by any commercial or non-profit entity without Blizzard's prior written consent;

So what are they saying exactly with 2... cyber cafes cant have sc2 on their computers?? and are they serious that you can't hold any sort of e-sports event without getting written consent from blizzard? Is that normal?....

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
User Content.
"User Content" means any communications, images, sounds, and all the material and information that you upload or transmit through a Game client or the Service, or that other users upload or transmit, including without limitation any chat text. You hereby grant Blizzard a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, license, including the right to sublicense to third parties, and right to reproduce, fix, adapt, modify, translate, reformat, create derivative works from, manufacture, introduce into circulation, publish, distribute, sell, license, sublicense, transfer, rent, lease, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, or provide access to electronically, broadcast, communicate to the public by telecommunication, display, perform, enter into computer memory, and use and practice such User Content as well as all modified and derivative works thereof. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby waive any moral rights you may have in any User Content.

EDIT:

"Last Revised 5-19-10"?

Arkless

Reaction score
and are they serious that you can't hold any sort of e-sports event without getting written consent from blizzard? Is that normal?....
Read again, you are not allowed to be "sponsored, promoted or facilitated" by anyone, but the event itself is ok.

A tournament you create yourself is allowed.

jleips2600

Reaction score
Yes.

Makes sense from a business point of view. A cyber cafe that buys 30 copies of SC2 and serves it to 9001 players gives Blizzard less profit than 9001 copies of SC2 sold.

I was under the impression that you could only play the game if you signed into a battle.net account that has sc2 on it. Thus making that argument null.

If anything, I'd think it'd be limited to 'not publicly sharing battle.net accounts', as opposed to disallowing friends to meet up at a cybercafe to do some group SC2ing in person for fun or some such.

ahh well, I dont have anyone close enough geographically that i'd meet up at a cafe anyways. Just seems kind of inconvenient for legit buyers when they already have a system implemented to safeguard their sales.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Read again, you are not allowed to be "sponsored, promoted or facilitated" by anyone, but the event itself is ok.

A tournament you create yourself is allowed.

The HDH was sponsored by IRip...
... and apparently it's already impossible to organize a tournament via battle.net. At least it's easier to use e-mail according to husky.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
The HDH was sponsored by IRip

They actually had Blizzard's consent.

I think Blizzard's email box will be flooded with consent requests in the near future with this kind of policy. And they haven't written up requirements which must be filled in order to get their approval in the first place (at least I haven't seen them).

Good luck reading and sorting, Blizzard!

EDIT:

Actually, I think Blizzard wants to replace KeSPA and take full control of the online competitive playing scenery for Starcraft 2 (and I'm not the only one speculating as I saw this kind of talk over at the teamliquid.net forums). As I recall, the negations between Blizzard and KeSPA didn't go so smoothly and the new ToS is just Blizzard's answer to the whole situation. Personally, I think Blizzard is currently acting like a spoiled kid: as long as Blizzard gets what he wants, it's totally fine, but if Blizzard can't get any of it, no-one can (this can be interpreted in many ways. More sales? Reputation? etc.).

I'm still buying the game, but the whole fiasko over battlenet 2.0 and the new ToS is kind of aggravating. It used to be so simple yet effective in the good old days of the original Starcraft (lol).

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
So what are they saying exactly with 2... cyber cafes cant have sc2 on their computers??

That is probably just for the beta, you don't think that these conditions will actually be the same for the actual released game do you?:nuts:

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
That is probably just for the beta, you don't think that these conditions will actually be the same for the actual released game do you?:nuts:
No, its for any game they sell. The new ToS doesn't necessarily mean cyber cafes can't have sc2 on them. They need to have Blizzard's consent first. It also says "...without limitation..." meaning there's probably certain circumstances where they wouldn't have to have blizzard's consent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.