New to the Editor, Looking for some basic Tips/Help

Manti

Reaction score
Greetings;

I'm Manti, and I've recently started using the Warcraft World Editor.

Sadly, I don't know anything about the program, or about programming, variables and what not; so I'm having a rough start.

I've mostly oriented around the Threads from this Forum, or from the Guides on this site: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/

Sadly though, I haven't really been able to find anything which was able to clarify the basics.
I've read the General FAQ, the Start Here, nearly everything I could find over there, but none of that contained a, uhm, Basic Tutorial on how to properly start, make some basic Triggers, everything seemed so complicated.

I've also tried using the 'Search' Function, even with the '*', as was stated in the Player Rules (I believe). Sadly, none could answer even the most basic Questions I've had (How to make your AI do stuff, rather than stand in place, how to have more than one AI in the game, how to, even after setting 'User' onto Player 2, you still play on Player 1 and etc.).

It appears that most of the Guides here are for people who aren't experts on the Editor, but know quite a lot of stuff, not for the new, fresh people.

Don't get me wrong with what I'm saying, I'm not claiming I want to learn how to be a God at this in such a short time.
I don't want (And it's not even possible) to learn how to use this program in a few days/a week (Which is how long I've been using it). I am willing to invest Weeks, Months, the entire Summer if I have to, JUST to learn the basics, to have something to start off with. I've been using WE for about 6-7 Hours a day, yet I haven't learned almost anything, despite reading tutorials, watching videos, checking out other people's maps and etc.

Nor am I saying that I want to make super complex stuff really early. All I want right now, is to make a simple map, where my AI will work, where my, even the simplest triggers, won't fail 9/10 times, where my monsters will drop items, but for now, I'd do with ANYTHING.

So, what exactly was the point of this... pathetic thread? It wasn't to complain about how I can't learn anything; its purpose is that, hopefully, somebody who's reading this will give me a push in the right direction; Maybe I've been looking at the wrong sites, maybe I've been using the Search Function wrong, I don't know.

I apologize for making a thread such as this, yet, after not making a tiny bit of progress in the week, and not learning anything, I've grown desperate.

I really hope that somebody will be able to help me out, even the slightest push will be most appreciated.
P.S. I apologize for any grammatical or spelling mistakes, as English is not my native language.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers;

-Manti

Last edited:

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
So.. you haven't been able to make much progress, but what exactly are you trying to achieve? having some sort of goal/target/vision would probably be a better place to start, as then you can ask more specific questions

Manti

Reaction score
Well, some of the things that have been bothering me I've mentioned in the thread.

Such as...
How to make more players be controled by Computers (When I go to Test Map)? Putting it on "Computer" doesn't do anything.
How to make Player 2 'User' and Player 1 Computer... once again, selecting it doesn't help.
How to make Monsters drop Items?
How to make your AI Move around, build Buildings, chop wood etc... Right now, they just mine gold, and don't even hire Minions.
Why do Triggers sometimes work, and sometimes don't? For instance, making the Condition for an Unit to die 15 seconds rather than 5 makes it work (Whereas 5 doesn't)

I've got more, but, overall, do you know any place where I can find some basic tutorials, for like... the basics of the basics, so I can start off with something.

As for my Goals right now, I guess it's trying to figure the basics out and create a simple map, with simpl-ish Triggers, possibly making a Campaign later on.

Thanks for the reply though,

Cheers;

-Manti

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't think the editor's "test" works all that well as far as letting you be player 2 and computer be player 1 or similar, you may need to open the map normally via wc3 (as in create a lobby) in order to do those things

for getting AI to move around, build stuff, etc. those pretty much all need to be defined via triggers for anything that it doesn't already know how to do (which is really only play melee games)

for specific triggers, copy them as text and paste them in wc3 tags (or better yet, upload a sample map) - it's hard to say what works/doesn't work, but waits can be a PITA sometimes (need to refer to triggering unit as all the other things are lost unless saved, and if saved, may be over-written) - also, displaying text messages to let you know what the trigger things happened can help a lot (often times they work differently than what you thought they would do..)

Manti

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the Reply!

I'll make sure to give it a try, I've never opened a Map via WC3, so it might be that some things which have been messing me up are the result of that.

Lastly, I've read a guide about how to make Monsters (Entities, Hostile Units whatever) drop Items, but I haven't quite understood it, that's what I want to know the most atm...

But at any rate thanks a lot

Cheers;

-Manti

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
There are two ways to make items drop:
1. If the unit is pre-placed on the map, double click it; there is an 'Items Dropped' tab. Select 'Use Custom table...' from the drop-down menu. Then press New Set, New Item and select what you want.
2. Using triggers; use the 'Unit dies' Event, then create the item at the position of the dying unit (Action, Item - Create Item).

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Applying a custom AI could be a solution if your map requires certain computer players to do things you want it to without jumping into the trigger route. If you want them to behave sort-of like how computer players behave in normal melee (non-custom) maps, then it could be the right choice!

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=53937

Also, your English is good! :)

EDIT: A more advanced discussion on custom AI:

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=15516

Manti

Reaction score
@O.A Thanks a lot, I didn't know that (I really suck at Triggers) and I didn't know you could double click pre-placed Objects. Will give it a try!

@seph ir oth Thanks a lot, I'll make sure to check out those Guides (I've checked the first one out, I'll make sure to give it a better look).

Thanks a lot to all of you, this community seems really helpful and friendly, if anything else occurs, I'll make sure to ask.

Cheers;

-Manti

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.