US News New unemployment program ends before a single Oklahoman is paid

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY — Extra unemployment benefits are about to come to an end for thousands of Oklahomans.

The federal government on Wednesday told states that the program, created under an executive order from President Donald Trump, was ending. The program provided an extra $300 to $400 a week to people because Congress didn’t extend the $600-a-week program from early in the pandemic. But before anyone in Oklahoma received a cent, the new program was ended.

Shelley Zumwalt, executive director of the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission, said the news of the program’s early cancelation came in a phone call Wednesday among the states, the U.S. Department of Labor and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

"This was … one of those things where we didn't really have a heads-up on,” she said.

Oklahoma is still working through the technical challenges of paying large numbers of people because of the pandemic. Zumwalt said the agency is on track to pay the remaining claimants by the end of the month. The people likely will end up with $1,800 – provided they’re eligible for all six weeks of back pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I live in Oklahoma and fortunately I still have my job. I don't recall hearing about this though. Not to say I'm extremely surprised - Oklahoma's state government has an incredible ability to be outrageously incompetent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.